What's new

data cap/quota/limit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No.

1625938964240.png

i did. and on linksysinfo. why do people assume others do not look for similar posts on forums?
either way, i was not sure if that was what i was looking for and did not find clear instructions on how to implement.

i also found this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-data-use-and-data-limit-monitoring-r1.71523/ if you would be kind enough to let me know if this would be potentially what i am looking for?

i was thinking of for dn-vnstat!
But then you'd have to be monitoring all the WiFi interfaces as well. I thought dn-vnstat only monitored the WAN. That's why YazFi or QoS would seem the more obvious first choice IMHO (whether it's practical is another matter).

But then you'd have to be monitoring all the WiFi interfaces as well. I thought dn-vnstat only monitored the WAN. That's why YazFi or QoS would seem the more obvious first choice IMHO (whether it's practical is another matter).
the OP of this thread wanted a data cap, presumably for their WAN so that they don't exceed a data threshold with their ISP after which they are cut off or charged a unit rate. this is what I was responding to when I suggested a feature addition

@TITAN request is something different and came after my original comment. vnstat2 is certainly capable of monitoring multiple interfaces and the sqlite database structure is lovely to work with, so feasibly YazFi could adopt this feature if the user also has dn-vnstat installed

the OP of this thread wanted a data cap, presumably for their WAN so that they don't exceed a data threshold with their ISP after which they are cut off or charged a unit rate. this is what I was responding to when I suggested a feature addition
Fair enough if that's the case. Although he wasn't specific about the requirements. When he said "data cap/ limit / quota", "quota" makes me think of per-device or per-user caps.

@TITAN request is something different and came after my original comment. vnstat2 is certainly capable of monitoring multiple interfaces and the sqlite database structure is lovely to work with, so feasibly YazFi could adopt this feature if the user also has dn-vnstat installed
Yes exactly what I would be interested in. A per-device cap is not necessary for my use, but would be icing on the cake.

A great addition for YazFi ;) I'd love to limit the quota my guest wifi can use
i was thinking of for dn-vnstat!
Here's why I avoided even thinking of capping, and stuck with warnings on dn-vnstat: so much of our lives transit the internet, if one were to put a hard block at a certain point, and there was some sort of emergency that required connectivity (e.g., wifi calling) ... well, that would be a real sh!tsh0w (as we say on this side of the pond). Yes, I understand personal responsibility and all that, but I'd much prefer to enable the knowledge rather than be the "data use police".

Here's why I avoided even thinking of capping, and stuck with warnings on dn-vnstat: so much of our lives transit the internet, if one were to put a hard block at a certain point, and there was some sort of emergency that required connectivity (e.g., wifi calling) ... well, that would be a real sh!tsh0w (as we say on this side of the pond). Yes, I understand personal responsibility and all that, but I'd much prefer to enable the knowledge rather than be the "data use police".
Very good point, and i guess the balance/trade off between hitting your quota each month and paying for additional data or disabling access. In my case, it's unlikely to be a problem now since I'm moving to an unlimited plan next month :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!