What's new

GT-AX6000 and 2.5Gb speedtest

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matthew_eli

Hi, I have from few days a fiber connection 2.5Gb/500Mbit (Italy) and when I try to test it with my PC (Ryzen R9 5900X, 64Gb RAM, M2 PCIx3 SSD, Intel I225V 2,5Gb NIC), I maxed out my CPU on the router (one core only, checked with HTOP) and the max speed on Download is about 1.8-1.9 Gb/s. With some server I see a cap at 1.6 Gb/s.

Instead if I test it within the router, I got the maximum achievable speed on Download (2.3 Gb/s approx, PPPoE connection)

Do you guys know why?

The router is GT-AX6000 on Merlin 388.5, ONT ZTE F6006

I tried to change some setting s on router (disabling Trendmicro, disable spanning tree) but no changes on speedtests from client

You have to use the native Speedtest application (or the command line application) to get max speeds. Forget the internet browsers. I am using 2 speedtest servers, Fastweb in Rome and Fastweb in Milan. With them I achieve 2230 mbs for download, and 478 mbs for upload, with same router and ONT.

My suggestion was to try as many different speedtests as you can. And, try to match the download server with the one used by the router.

You have to use the native Speedtest application (or the command line application) to get max speeds. Forget the internet browsers. I am using 2 speedtest servers, Fastweb in Rome and Fastweb in Milan. With them I achieve 2230 mbs for download, and 478 mbs for upload, with same router and ONT.
I already used the cli version, 1.2.0 x64. No way: the speeds are the ones I listed above

My suggestion was to try as many different speedtests as you can. And, try to match the download server with the one used by the router.
But I saw the CPU (core 1) on the router maxed out at 1.9-2.0 Gb/s. I think it's not an issue related to the client, but something I haven't set correctly on the router itself. I have IPv6 enabled, firewall enabled, no AdBlock, Skynet on, flow runner and CTF on.

But I saw the CPU (core 1) on the router maxed out at 1.9-2.0 Gb/s. I think it's not an issue related to the client, but something I haven't set correctly on the router itself. I have IPv6 enabled, firewall enabled, no AdBlock, Skynet on, flow runner and CTF on.
What is the name of the process that is consuming the CPU?

Flow cache and Runner are two separate things. CTF does not exist on your model of router.

Disable all your addons (Administration - System > Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs), reboot the router and test again. Also check that you have withdrawn all permissions at Administration - Privacy.

Can you redo the test with the speedtest app

1702052713469.png

What is the name of the process that is consuming the CPU?

Flow cache and Runner are two separate things. CTF does not exist on your model of router.

Disable all your addons (Administration - System > Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs), reboot the router and test again. Also check that you have withdrawn all permissions at Administration - Privacy.

There is no process that max CPU:

HTOP.png

And these are the related speedtest:

speedtest.png

I've to test it by disabling the addons; Should I disable Trendmicro engine also?

EDIT: It's the Trendmicro engine!

speedtest_2.png

But why I can't make it enabled and have full speed on a client?

Last edited:
I already used the cli version, 1.2.0 x64. No way: the speeds are the ones I listed above
In internet search for "intel i225v issues", there are so many results about that chipset.
Read also this page.

I don't think it's the NIC, I saw the router CPU has been maxed out during the speedtest, so it was something inside the router itself and it turned out to be the TrendMicro engine. I ended up disabling it and now I've the full speed on a single client. TY all guys for your suggestions and contribution

Kind of the same problem on mine too. Somehow downloads aren't going over 1,9Gps on a 2.5Gps/1Gps internet. I've disabled all from the game accelerator, QoS, or Ai Protection, still the same, even had an ISP guy over my place checking the FO line with a special cable and tool if there might be something wrong with the line(directly from the street box). Nada, the same speeds. Something is twisted in my GT-AX6000 and I don't know why. Running the latest official FW(3.0.0.6.102_21514) also tried Merlin(apparently a version back) with the same results.

This 1.9Gbps from 2.3Gbps max possible for 2.5GbE connection is a huge problem indeed. :rolleyes:
I mean, is not bad is just the nerd in me asking for the numbers most of all seems to get with this type of connection including our friend up here who found that TrendMicro is the culprit but for me doesn't do jag. I know very well someone in the middle of Washington or Berlin might rejoice over a decent 200Mbs-connection. 😁

Residential ISP lines are shared between subscribers and not guaranteed. There is no "problem" with yours.

Could be, maybe you're right although the box is just 200m max from my house and I know only 3 people who are connected near me and the network guy told me he sees 2.2Gps/1Gps arriving at my address. Maybe he was saying without the overhead, I don't know and I don't know how to test that other than the integrated Ookla speed test this router has.

I don't know and I don't know how to test that other than the integrated Ookla speed test this router has.
There are numerous ways to test outside of the router boss.

I recommend this.

or same thing command line based.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've done the CLI one and speeds are slightly lesser than router intern speeds, like 100Mps lower at times. However, was talking about how I know my external GPON ONT 2.5Gps transfer what the network guy said. I don't know if there's a way to see that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!