What's new

dd-wrt repeater bridge will not change channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trauts14

Occasional Visitor
my repurposed linksys e-1200 is working fine as a repeater bridge (minus throughput issues which come with that). when i change the wifi channel of the primary router or the channel of the repeater bridge they follow one another. they are on the same subnet. each one works fine, but the bridge repeater always follows the same channel the primary router is on. thank you for any assistance.

my repurposed linksys e-1200 is working fine as a repeater bridge (minus throughput issues which come with that). when i change the wifi channel of the primary router or the channel of the repeater bridge they follow one another. they are on the same subnet. each one works fine, but the bridge repeater always follows the same channel the primary router is on. thank you for any assistance.

that's how it works with repeaters - they follow the master...

thank you....with half the throughput as well i assume? i was just playing around with an old router.....until i buy an AP

half-bandwidth for a repeater - in most cases yes...

dual radio is a different story - out of scope for this thread.

that's how it works with repeaters - they follow the master...

If you want to set the channel manually you need to do so BEFORE putting the repeater into the repeater mode. Set the channel and save it while in router mode then put the device into the repeater mode.

If you want to set the channel manually you need to do so BEFORE putting the repeater into the repeater mode. Set the channel and save it while in router mode then put the device into the repeater mode.

The router and the (usual single-radio) WDS device use the same channel. Because data packets can come at any unexpected time from a client device- or the router- to be retransmitted to the opposite end point. The time to receive, validate, reform, retransmit is why the throughput about halves for each device.

We all berate WDS, but if you get good RSSIs on both halves, that rate even divided by two may exceed what your ISP provides. But intra-LAN traffic speeds to suffer from WDS. Also, WDS adds twice the air channel "busyness" which is a problem if there are many other clients on the same SSID/channel, and/or neighbor WIFi systems on or near the same channel and they are busy.