What's new

Debating between D-Link DIR-882 (with DD-WRT) vs Ally Smart WIFI (ALLY-R1900)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MMM123MMM

New Around Here
D-Link DIR-882 (with DD-WRT)
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...-dir-882-ac2600-mu-mimo-wi-fi-router-reviewed

Ally Smart WIFI (ALLY-R1900)
http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/ally.html

I currently run a Cisco ASA5505 with a old Linksys wireless N router (with DD-WRT). Its been giving me trouble and enough reason to buy a new setup. I use VPN service from SurfEasy (for my Macbook Pro, iPhone and iPad only) and I have many IoT, MacOS, and iOS device around my house.

I dont really want to get another Cisco firewall at this point. Expensive and a lot of work to get it running.

The Ally Smart WIFI seems like a nice little router with some degree of security. I am curious how effective the security feature is especially when I use VPN service from SurfEasy, which I am guessing, will make the Ally smart security feature useless (the VPN would encrypt all traffic, rendering Ally smart security feature useless).

The D-Link DIR-882 seems like a good deal (I can get one for $116 CAD tax in) and it seems to support DD-WRT firmware but doesn't support any security feature.

Any suggestions to protect myself? CUJO is another smart security device but is a bit pricey.

Really need help here. Thanks!

Both devices use the same MediaTek CPU and radios but for some reason the ALLY-R1900 only implements three out of the possible four tx/rx chains and spatial streams offered by the MT7615N radio for 802.11ac. This means that it only supports a maximum theoretical speed of 1300Mbps with 802.11ac on 5GHz while the DIR-882 (and supposedly its DIR-878 clone) both support up to 1733Mbps link rates. Even if your clients don't support all four streams, having the extra tx/rx chain in the router can help performance.

The Amped Wireless ALLY devices are meant to be used as part of a "wireless system" where multiple devices work together to try to improve coverage of a larger area. If you don't need that feature then the DIR-882 is a much better choice. If you can get a DIR-878 for less money, it supposedly will perform identically to the DIR-882 although I haven't seen confirmation from anyone who owns one yet.

I don't really know much about security features embedded in routers but I don't put a lot of value in that.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!