What's new

defaut gateway

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lorisCork

New Around Here
I'm ashamed to have this question, but here is my current config

4G Modem (D-Link DW 4G) -- <-> TP Link 1200 -- Switch -- Netgear Orbi (in AP mode)
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---<-> TP Link 1200 ASUS RT-AC68u

( I also have a Synology rt1900ac, with I don't use as I noticed network slow down while using it)

at the moment I have the 4G modem as the default gateway, so I can access to the modem web interface witch is in a shield outside, but poor hardware and not secure.

If I decide to change and have the Asus RT or Synology as the default Gateway, knowing that this router is far away from the modem and have most of the other device closest than the modem (4G modem - Switch - AP...) would that make a big slow down on the whole network?

the idea is to have one of this two routers (Asus or Synology) in control of the whole network for security reason, but if possible, keeping a access to the main 4G web interface.

I suppose I need to have a different subnet for the modem and one for the home network (which will break the modem web interface access)

Also is that even possible, as the router (Asus or Synology) will get WLAN from a power line which is connected to the 4G modem,
and the first AP (Netgear Orbi) and other device connected to the switch also get WLAN from power line (4G Modem).

I understand my post is not clear (so is my mind...) but should I setup everything to have my router as default gateway but the 4G modem ? will that reduce the PING / Download rate, and will the powerline connected directly from the router are not gonna mess up with everything?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!