What's new

DHCP and Range Extender problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stambeccuccio

Using a range extender, I notice that in DHCP there are IP address inconsistencies, in short seems the DHCP router does not operate well and in any case there is confusion.

Adding an extender creates confusion in DHCP, between pages:
- System Log - Wireless Log
- Network Map - Client status
- Network Map - View List
- LAN - DHCP Server

In addition I ask:
- why you can not see devices attached to the range extender? You only can see the number of devices, but not which devices.

I think it would be more useful to see devices connected, considered that the extender range performs its pure function and not use its own DHCP.

In addition:
- the router does not offer the ability to decrease the lower roaming assistance at a value less than -70 dBm
- the ASUS service (which I do not remember the name) that recognizes the MAC address does not work well

2useyao.jpg

f9qxc2.jpg

2rghy5u.jpg

- LAN - DHCP Server
2vj2wx1.jpg

- Roaming assistant
29fsgzk.jpg

Thanks for the attention
stam

I think Asus will need to fix the issues with the range extender (or AP) themselves. I don't think RMerlin can do so (closed source).

But, RMerlin has already implemented the ability to use as high as -50dBm in the Roaming assistant settings (will be in his next release (380.60 alpha 3), I assume.

This additional information is not available to the router. Only the range extender has any idea of informations such as which wifi band a device is connected, and what are it's connection info such as rate or RSSI.

This additional information is not available to the router. Only the range extender has any idea of informations such as which wifi band a device is connected, and what are it's connection info such as rate or RSSI.
You're right about this, no doubt.

But the Extender management by DHCP Router is very bad, confusing and contradictory between pages:
- LAN - DHCP Server
It seems crazy, unstable and unable to handle the Extender.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!