What's new

DIR-655: Wireless setup question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You need Link Layer Topology Discovery for that. Download it here and install it. After that, your XP pc's will also be found on the network.
Correct but Link Layer Topology Discovery was not included in the Win XP SP3 upgrade. There is a apprantly backdoor workaround for this, here; I tried it, but it didnt help.Will try again. Anyway, not the end of the world - its jsut a map.

Last edited:
Link Layer Topology Discovery for Xp SP3 users

UPDATE:

Indeed, as Bart states, Link Layer Topology Discovery is needed to view all XP pc's on the map. With XP SP3 however, its a bit herder to load, per link above. While it didnt work at first, I tried again and , volia, success!

To make it easier for others I extracted the specific files needed and crafted a simple bat file to install them correctly. Extract the files to any temp directory and run the GO batch file. Also ensure folder options are set to show hiddden directories

Also attached is resultant map and physically layout.

Attachments

• rspndr.zip
    37.8 KB · Views: 238
  • map.jpg
    map.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 672
  • network.jpg
    network.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 614
UPDATE:

Indeed, as Bart states, Link Layer Topology Discovery is needed to view all XP pc's on the map. With XP SP3 however, its a bit herder to load, per link above. While it didnt work at first, I tried again and , volia, success!

To make it easier for others I extracted the specific files needed and crafted a simple bat file to install them correctly. Extract the files to any temp directory and run the GO batch file. Also ensure folder options are set to show hiddden directories

Also attached is resultant map and physically layout.

Who? I don't bother with SP3 and just kept SP2 on all XP Pro, MCE 2005 SP2 and Vista Business SP1. Two servers just run Standard Edition 2003. SP3 gave a few of my system problems I only tested on a few. I just reverted to the backup images for each system. Disaster recovery method. Where did you get the second map there you did you just make that up. Without SP3 the XP boxes are on the bottom but you can install the LLTP without installing SP3.

Wow you got a lot of switches. Doesn't your DIR-655 show-up as the image of the DLINK DIR-655? Suppose to. Two Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with dd-wrt v2.4 should now show up as what they're suppose too. I'll have to check tomorrow. Lot of features in the AP-Bridge mode then the other other one WLI-4TX-HP54G is in the Client-Bridge mode using dd-wrt. One more to do and that's it.

Who? I don't bother with SP3 and just kept SP2 on all XP Pro, MCE 2005 SP2 and Vista Business SP1.....Without SP3 the XP boxes are on the bottom but you can install the LLTP without installing SP3..

Ya, with SP3, I was helping a freind out, installed all the updates, and SP3 showed up so I blindly updated my other XPs. no other real reason and no problems with it to date. LLTP doesnt come with SP3 so needs to be installed seperatly as I did...but yes, LLTP is included with SP2.

Where did you get the second map there you did you just make that up.
Made it up

Wow you got a lot of switches..
most of those switches so are in fact my APs. And the two icons on the bottom are actually the same device.

Doesn't your DIR-655 show-up as the image of the DLINK DIR-655? Suppose to..
Hmmm no clue on that one, I tired to right-click to change icon, but no such option. Happy enough just to see the map working.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!