What's new

Dir-685

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tipstir

Very Senior Member
Tim,

DIR-685 you say it's using Ralink RT2880F which is 266MHz PU and Ralink WPU too and you say it has 64MB of RAM and 32MB for Flash Realtek Gig PU so that's the 832KB Memory Packet buffer version. But what's the official price tag?

Huh?

$300 MSRP

PU = Processor Unit
WPU = Wireless Processor Unit

Could say NPU Network Processor Unit
or WNPU Wireless Network Processor Unit

Wow! $300 bucks wonder if it's really worth it?

The 685 is 2.4 GHz only. I can't directly compare the two because of different test methods. But I wasn't particularly impressed by its range. Maximum throughput looks higher for the 685, but it drops off quickly.

The 685 is 2.4 GHz only. I can't directly compare the two because of different test methods. But I wasn't particularly impressed by its range. Maximum throughput looks higher for the 685, but it drops off quickly.

It's been reported it has dual speed 2.4GHz or 5.0Ghz. So is that false nor not?
I know you tested one or had some idea of what's going to be the final one sold in the USA.

This images shows the NPU and WPU which to me is adapter type module setup.

This plugs
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/4d0cd43daaa898023035ca4f358d7c935g.jpg

Into this board
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/0758541614f7d813f24ccd4e755ed4546g.jpg

Read New To The Charts: D-Link DIR-685 Xtreme N Storage Router.
The radio has a dual-band transceiver. The router is locked to 2.4GHz.

I did some digging and yes I've read what you said. But there was mentioned of the 5GHz but it seems it won't be available on 685. But there is 2x 64MB for a total of 128MB for the RAM The back of SDRAM will also have a capacity of 8MB FLASH capacity of 32MB SDRAM and FLASH.

I've posted some internal web admin shots..

Tim,

The production version of this router only going to have 64MB of RAM and not like the Euro/Asian version that offers 128MB of RAM.. The Ralink processor is 266MHz the Storlink Processor is only 300MHz compared to better ones would be 500MHz. But your results show the same as in the Asian market for the NAS features was lousy.

Let me rephrase:

So, is this DIR-685 better at 2.4-N wireless speeds and range than the DIR-855?

Thanks,
F.

does the bittorrent interface allow changing download/upload speed? because the qos interface is really limited, unlike the dir-655 which i am used to where you can set priorities for each peripheral connected. currently using a dir-655 A4 with DNS-323, and in my case, just changing to a dir-685 combines the 2.

What a Slug! ...StorLink SL3516 @300Mhz ...Where did D-Link find these out of date ARM920 processors? Only executes ARMv4T instructions A "40 dollar" seagate dockstar processor smokes this 4 year old slug.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!