What's new

Diversion Diversion gives error when installing youtube adblocking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ojee

Occasional Visitor
I have Diversion running on my Asus RT-AC87U and it works perfectly. However when I try to install youtube ad blocking (b-8), I get this error:
error installation of required entware package bind-dig failed
What does this mean and how do I fix it?

What firmware are you using on the RT-AC87U? What version of amtm are you running? Is this a new install or has Diversion been running for a while already? What other scripts and features/options past defaults are you using on the router? Any other servers (pi-hole?) on your network?

I'm running the latest Merlin firmware. I don't know what amtm is. This install of Diversion has been running for 2 years. This is the only script running on the router.It is also the only adblocker on the network. I don't have pi-hole.

I have Diversion running on my Asus RT-AC87U and it works perfectly. However when I try to install youtube ad blocking (b-8), I get this error:

What does this mean and how do I fix it?
Looks like you need to check for and update Entware packages first. In Diversion enter ep, 6, 5.
amtm is a front end that manages popular scripts that I develop so users don't need to enter complicated commands to install, manage and check for script updates.
amtm is included in all recent Asuswrt-Merlin firmware builds. Just enter amtm in the terminal to experience the magic ;)

Looks like you need to check for and update Entware packages first. In Diversion enter ep, 6, 5.
amtm is a front end that manages popular scripts that I develop so users don't need to enter complicated commands to install, manage and check for script updates.
amtm is included in all recent Asuswrt-Merlin firmware builds. Just enter amtm in the terminal to experience the magic ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. This fixed same exact issue for me on Asus AC68.

Cheers.

Using amtm Diversion seems to want dnsmasq logging enabled to enable YouTube ad blocking? But why? Doesn't the logging result in enormous files very quickly? Is that log file handled by scribe by default or does it need manually setting up?

Using amtm Diversion seems to want dnsmasq logging enabled to enable YouTube ad blocking? But why? Doesn't the logging result in enormous files very quickly? Is that log file handled by scribe by default or does it need manually setting up?
You can disable the YouTube video ad-blocking, it does not work as advertised. When enabled, it needs the Dnsmasq log file to create the IP blocklist. But again, this feature will no longer be available with the next Diversion update.

Ah OK thanks for confirming. The add on works absolutely fantastically otherwise. I didn't realise how many ads are plastered over websites until I tried it.

Regarding logging, does Diversion do its own log rotation? I'm trying to determine whether with scribe installed scribe will handle that or whether some manual configuration is necessary.

Last edited:
Ah OK thanks for confirming. The add on works absolutely fantastically otherwise. I didn't realise how many ads are plastered over websites until I tried it.

Regarding logging, does Diversion do its log rotation? I'm trying to determine whether with scribe installed scribe will handle that or whether some manual configuration is necessary.
Diversion handles the log files, no need to worry.

I'm very curious about the backstory behind Diversion. How did it come about? Why Asus? I have been to Switzerland once by the way. Lausanne. Truly beautiful.

Last edited:
I'm very curious about the backstory behind Diversion. How did it come about? Why Asus? I have been to Switzerland once by the way. Lausanne. Truly beautiful.

You would have to go all the back to 2016 for its predecessor release here ...
Then follow up on history of its development here ...

It really has been a remarkably valuable addition to Merlinware - and my first addon when I joined this forum many moons ago [but nowhere near as many moons as @thelonelycoder :D.]

You would have to go all the back to 2016 for its predecessor release here ...]
You can go back even further than that as the link in the first post of the thread above shows @thelonelycoder's original thread in 2014.

Even that is predated by another user's post in 2013. But the core commands had already been in common use across multiple platforms for over a decade by then.

Back in 2013 or early 2014 I was running an Untangle box to block ads and redirected local domains to my internal server with a Zyxel firewall/wifi router. A firmware update eliminated the possibility to redirect domains on the Zyxel and they were not going to bring that option back.

I looked at options and since I had an unused Asus RT-AC66U laying around I came across Asuswrt-Merlin. @RMerlin’s firmware had what was needed and so it replaced the Zyxel. Then I was looking into doing the ad-blocking on the Asus too as I wanted to reuse that - at the time - beefy Shuttle PC running Untangle as my local server.
The rest is history and the Shuttle still runs Centos for my local domains and Plex to serve me entertainement.

The 66U is still alive as a test unit along with 7 other Asus routers.
So, thank Zyxel for their firmware update or things might look very different here on this board.

You can go back even further than that as the link in the first post of the thread above shows @thelonelycoder's original thread in 2014.

Even that is predated by another user's post in 2013. But the core commands had already been in common use across multiple platforms for over a decade by then.
I don’t remember where I got the inspiration for Adblocking with a combined hostsfile from, but this might be it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!