What's new

Diversion Diversion (not) blocking local domains

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phantomski

Regular Contributor
I have noticed some peculiar behaviour which (due to lack of knowledge probably) I wasn't able to explain.

While trying to find a problem with dnsmasq's DNS query replies for local domain names (separate story), I was using Diversion to follow the dnsmasq.log with filtering to client's IP address just to see what is going on and trying to pinpoint the issue.

• While using nslookup / dig on that local client (Ubuntu), I was getting standard expected responses from the router's dnsmasq.
  • When I tail-ed dnsmasq.log on the router I was getting standard query / config / reply log entries with no obvious errors (some NXDOMAINs, separate story again)
  • The Diversion's follow dnsmasq.log option however was giving me blocked by wc-blacklist [local domain] messages for all local domain requests.
  • uiDivStats in GUI in the Query log is showing all A type requests as Allowed and all AAAA type requests as Blocked (wildcard blacklist) for local domains that have both IPv4 and IPv6 entries in the /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add and both A and AAAA type requests as Allowed for local domains that have only IPv4 entry there.
  • If I try to edit wc_blacklist it is saying it has 0 entries.
  • Needless to say the requests are allowed and clients able to connect, it's the Diversion's logging that's strange.
Confused.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!