What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rule of thumb, really. 256MB would work for most. But I always set it at the routers RAM.
The RT-AX88U has 1GB RAM which is nice but somehow it still gets used, so I make the swap file equal to it.

Thanks! :)

I'll still stick to what I'm doing for now. My rule of thumb is to turn the volume to '11'. :) :) :)

The RT-AX88U has 1GB RAM which is nice but somehow it still gets used

The amount of memory reserved by Broadcom's blog module is percentage based (can't recall if it was 13% or 21% of total RAM), that would be why the AX88U has such a high memory usage compared to the RT-AC86U.

Rule of thumb, really. 256MB would work for most. But I always set it at the routers RAM.
The RT-AX88U has 1GB RAM which is nice but somehow it still gets used, so I make the swap file equal to it.
My experience is that with any fairly modern OS, you have to have what used to be considered obscene amounts of memory to get to the point where the OS stops "using" all of it. Where "used" memory includes memory that is able to be freed immediately without swapping.

When running speed tests/bufferbloat on DSL Reports, the final grade results on the bottom (ie A, B, C) are not displaying since I installed this script.

Is there any way to fix this? Next update possibly?

Thanks.

When running speed tests/bufferbloat on DSL Reports, the final grade results on the bottom (ie A, B, C) are not displaying since I installed this script.

Is there any way to fix this? Next update possibly?

Thanks.

Did you try to whitelist that site?

I would appreciate if you could give me the reasons behind having the swap file as large as the RAM is. I have seen it repeated multiple times and I really don't know why?

I always create the largest available swap file with amtm on an Ext4 partition with journalling enabled (currently 2GB limit). I do this for any router I install it on. I see no harm or performance degradation as the USB drives used are at least 4GB and the scripts are very tiny, relatively!

Is there a real reason to only match the RAM for the swap file size?
I have the same "if enough is good, way to much is better, right?" attitude. :p

I ran a 2Gb swap initially, then saw that it never used more than about 100 Mb. After a year or so when I reconfigured Every. Single. Thing. on my network, I went to 512Mb to match my AC86U. Now I check it often with htop and it never hits 100Mb, even with all the scripts I run. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

During the weekly blocking list update, your router runs out of memory. Enable the swap file, make it as large as the routers ram. For the 86U its 512MB.

is there a benefit in making the swap file 2GB for the AC86U?
or should I stick with 512MB?

I just noticed that even though ads are whitelisted in Diversion for this forum, none of them show up for me. Now normally, I wouldn't complain lol, but I absolutely love this place and want to do my part of supporting it.

Any ideas what may be causing this? Ads are blocked on all devices (macOS, iOS) regardless of browser. No ads show up on snbforums.com for me.

Diversion 4.0.8 is now available

What's new in Diversion v4.0.8

- Fixed formatting in f '2. Unfiltered log extra highlighted' when log-queries=extra is enabled in ds
- Use u for quick Diversion update check
- Adds amtm to terminal history when installed
- Reworked restart Dnsmasq check during install/update/upgrade
- Adds pointer record (ptr-record) for pixelserv-tls IP to /etc/dnsmasq.conf
- Added asuswrt.lostrealm.ca to hard coded whitelist. This non-editable list now contains these entries:
1drv.ms
ab-solution.info
adblock.mahakala.is
asuswrt.lostrealm.ca
bin.entware.net
diversion.ch
hosts-file.net
onedrive.live.com
pgl.yoyo.org
pkg.entware-backports.tk
pkg.entware.net
raw.githubusercontent.com
someonewhocares.org
support.it-mate.co.uk
winhelp2002.mvps.org
www.malwaredomainlist.com

How to update to Diversion v4.0.8
To update to this latest version use d and select Update.

ub70T6J.png

Last edited:
Is Amazon finally fixed in diversion 4.0.8 since the last time I used it, amazon was practically unusable as all the images/html/css was blocked by diversion and apparently the Amazon app couldn't even connect

Is Amazon finally fixed in diversion 4.0.8 since the last time I used it, amazon was practically unusable as all the images/html/css was blocked by diversion and apparently the Amazon app couldn't even connect
I use Canada's Amazon website all the time and it works as expected. The app is however another thing. ;):)

By the way if you live in one of the supported countries, (USA, Canada, UK) click the link at the top right of the forum first, that way snbforums gets a donation. ;):)

Where are you? I have never had problems with Amazon.

Me too: never a single problem with any Amazon site (.uk, .com .ca) from a router in the UK.
No problem with the Amazon website from the U.S. (Southern California). The app seems to be working even, which is surprising, it didn't a couple months ago.

Can someone please help me get rid of this message? (see attached).

I haven't touched anything in Diversion other then update it to the latest version and whitelisting one additional domain. As far as I can see, everything that should be whitelisted for snbforums.com is still whitelisted.

Thanks in advance - it's driving me craaaaaazy :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.21.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.21.36 AM.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 611

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!