• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Mutzli

Very Senior Member
I'm a complete noob at this - I suppose you need some technical knowledge to get this going: I tried following the instructions on Diversion.ch but I don't know the smaller details on how to run the scripts in Notepad++. I suppose there are specific settings I need to make in the router to get the SSH Terminal running. I've made the following changes in the router:
1) Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs: Yes
2) Enable SSH: LAN + WAN

I want to format my USB stick using the script for the SSH Terminal first but I don't know how! :(
Get an SSH terminal first, Windows Terminal from the Windows 10 Store works great. Login to your router by using port 22 (unless you changed that which I recommend doing). Type the following line at the console prompt without the parenthesis: [[email protected] -p 22]

Start by installing AMTM first:
curl -Os https://diversion.ch/amtm/amtm && sh amtm
Type amtm at the console prompt to start the script
Now you can format the USB drive with command fd
choose any of the suggested file systems (read more about file systems over here https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Disk-formatting)
After that's done you can install Diversion and Skynet by following the instruction posted when running the install scripts.

FYI for safety reasons don't turn SSH WAN access on. Just use LAN

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
I'm a complete noob at this - I suppose you need some technical knowledge to get this going: I tried following the instructions on Diversion.ch but I don't know the smaller details on how to run the scripts in Notepad++. I suppose there are specific settings I need to make in the router to get the SSH Terminal running. I've made the following changes in the router:
1) Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs: Yes

I want to format my USB stick using the script for the SSH Terminal first but I don't know how! :(

Have a look at the link in my signature for a link to the amtm Step-by-Step Guide for further help.

donduck

Occasional Visitor
I assume that you're using a Windows PC to access your router. You need a SSH client on your PC, PuTTY is a popular choice - https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ . Download, install and run PuTTY. Enter the ip address of your router, PuTTY defaults to SSH on port 22. Click on the 'Open' button, your should get a window with a 'login as:' prompt, enter the user name/password you've set for router admin. Then follow the Diversion website instructions.

Also look at amtm on the diversion.ch website, it can install several scripts that will assist you to format a USB drive, create swap space, etc.

This is a great help! I just got Diversion installed!

badplay

New Around Here
how to check if the script is working? i always have popups and ads maybe that are fine but i dont know

i use asuswrt merlin for a r7000 router. i set up only static ip for devices and dns settings changed to google dns 9.9.9.9 firewall is aktiv

so is diversion working ?

Last edited:

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture

QuikSilver

Very Senior Member

szimat

Occasional Visitor
I'm setting up an Asus AC66u B1 with Merlin at my brothers house.
I will need DoT with CF and Diversion.
I only used Pinhole for adblocking. Considering to abandon Pihole and use Diversion. How do I add Pihole blocklists to Diversion? Is there a way to convert these lists to Diversion format? Thanks

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
I only used Pinhole for adblocking. Considering to abandon Pihole and use Diversion. How do I add Pihole blocklists to Diversion? Is there a way to convert these lists to Diversion format? Thanks
In Pi-hole, copy the URLs under Settings / Blocklist one by one into Diversion b, 1, 2 (Customize hosts list).
Note that Diversion ONLY supports hosts lists, NO domain-only lists like Pi-hole does.
As of Diversion 4.1.7, domain lists are now supported.
See https://diversion.ch/diversion/use/blocking-file-hosts-files.html

To test if a hosts file URL works, add it to the customized hosts list and run the blocking list update verbose with b, 4. It will say something like 'URL not hosts file'.

Last edited:

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Very Senior Member

I see you don't like pihole ? why are you using pinhole?

Most list links can be simply copied over as @thelonelycoder prescribes if you need to place domains on diversion "some" are supported as they can be used as wildcard blacklist domains, where they have more than one type of sub domain up under the same domain, but you are limited to 1000, choose carefully.

szimat

Occasional Visitor
I see you don't like pihole ? why are you using pinhole?

Most list links can be simply copied over as @thelonelycoder prescribes if you need to place domains on diversion "some" are supported as they can be used as wildcard blacklist domains, where they have more than one type of sub domain up under the same domain, but you are limited to 1000, choose carefully.
Many thanks! Is there a way to convert these lists to Diversion compatible? Like and Adblock Plus list?

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Very Senior Member
Many thanks! Is there a way to convert these lists to Diversion compatible? Like and Adblock Plus list?

if you know how to parse those list using python scripts or sed, cat, awk, gawk, grep, or print to make it a host file that is compatible then yes, but then you still have to devise a way to host it and re-download it into diversion, unless you know about running custom scripts in which case you can make your own host file. then those list also have to have something you are able to extract to a host file, if they don't then you are out of luck. This is why @thelonelycoder does not have diversion setup to do it, because most of the list you will ever need are already compiled into a host format. all the straggler list usually are already included in one of the bigger host files.

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Last edited:

szimat

Occasional Visitor
if you know how to parse those list using python scripts or sed, cat, awk, gawk, grep, or print to make it a host file that is compatible then yes, but then you still have to devise a way to host it and re-download it into diversion, unless you know about running custom scripts in which case you can make your own host file. then those list also have to have something you are able to extract to a host file, if they don't then you are out of luck. This is why @thelonelycoder does not have diversion setup to do it, because most of the list you will ever need are already compiled into a host format. all the straggler list usually are already included in one of the bigger host files.
No, I'm not good enough to do that.
I will see how the Diversion lists work, compared to Pihole I have at home. I red everything about it.
I have some Hungarian specific ads to block, so guess I can add those manually.
Btw, should I use the biggest list?

Treadler

Very Senior Member
No, I'm not good enough to do that.
I will see how the Diversion lists work, compared to Pihole I have at home. I red everything about it.
I have some Hungarian specific ads to block, so guess I can add those manually.
Btw, should I use the biggest list?

I use the biggest list, works fine.:)

nitro001

Regular Contributor
Quick question. I am running diversion, and pixelserv on an AC-3100. Right now it is on a USB 3.1-enabled thumb drive, but I am only utilizing the USB 2.0 port.
I understand there is quite a speed difference in the two; but I wasn't sure for the type of activity that diversion or pixelserv is doing if that would make a difference or not.
I also know there has been some indicators on the forums of USB 3.0 interference with the 2.4GHz band in some situations.

Has anyone utilized diversion and pixelserv on USB 2 then changed to USB 3 and saw any changes? If so, did you also experience additional interference?

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Quick question. I am running diversion, and pixelserv on an AC-3100. Right now it is on a USB 3.1-enabled thumb drive, but I am only utilizing the USB 2.0 port.
I understand there is quite a speed difference in the two; but I wasn't sure for the type of activity that diversion or pixelserv is doing if that would make a difference or not.
I also know there has been some indicators on the forums of USB 3.0 interference with the 2.4GHz band in some situations.

Has anyone utilized diversion and pixelserv on USB 2 then changed to USB 3 and saw any changes? If so, did you also experience additional interference?
You will not notice any difference. But if you want to try, use a short USB 3 cable to attach the thumb drive to the router. I do that on my routers.

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Two spoilers, coming with the next Diversion update, no ETA as of yet.
Consider this a XMAS gift for those literally screaming at me to add support for these features.

1:
Code:
processing file 4 of 6
 remote file same: using local hosts file
 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
 file is in hosts file format (IP-domain pair)
 processing file 4 done

processing file 5 of 6
 https://mirror1.malwaredomains.com/files/justdomains
 file is in domain only format
 processing file 5 done
2:
- New option to update the blocking list once (standard) or twice a week in b, 3.

cmkelley

Very Senior Member
DO NOT DO THIS!!! Do not allow SSH access from the WAN. LAN, yes, you need to to be able to SSH into your router, but WAN, absolutely not. Enable SSH should be set to 'LAN only'

The router's implementation of SSH (dropbear) has a history of vulnerabilities. The only secure way to access your router remotely is through an OpenVPN connection, preferably using a shared key (not password) system.

Mutzli

Very Senior Member
Two spoilers, coming with the next Diversion update, no ETA as of yet.
Consider this a XMAS gift for those literally screaming at me to add support for these features.

1:
Code:
processing file 4 of 6
 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts
 file is in hosts file format (IP-domain pair)
 processing file 4 done

processing file 5 of 6
 https://mirror1.malwaredomains.com/files/justdomains
 file is in domain only format
 processing file 5 done
2:
- New option to update the blocking list once (standard) or twice a week in b, 3.
Fantastic news!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!