What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So here's something odd I just encountered while trying to install AMTM on a new Asus AC-87 router. After ensuring that the JFFS partition was wiped, I inserted the USB drive into the USB slot on the back and confirmed it appears when logging into the router. I then attempted to enter the command into Putty to install AMTM. Nothing happens and it just drops the cursor to the line below waiting for another command. It doesn't show any failure message either. Any clues on what I may have missed?

fGd4nWn.jpg
It probably didn’t download the script successfully. Make sure the time is set on your router and try again without the s parameter (curl -O https...).

@jadog, simply plug in the working router's LAN port to the WAN port of the router you want to set up. :)

You won't disconnect from the internet. :)

The second router is simply a client (more specifically, connected in a double NAT connection with their own list of clients).

You won't disconnect from the internet. :)

The second router is simply a client (more specifically, connected in a double NAT connection with their own list of clients).

Maybe I misunderstood. So you are saying to connect the second router to my existing router that already has internet? And connect the ethernet cable from the live router's LAN port to the second router's WAN port?

Maybe I misunderstood. So you are saying to connect the second router to my existing router that already has internet? And connect the ethernet cable from the live router's LAN port to the second router's WAN port?
Yes, I do that with all my test routers, they are connected via WAN port to a LAN port on the main router.

Hmm. I tried that and I don't seem to be able to get internet to the test router. The test router can have the DHCP configured for a different subnet as well with no issue? I must be doing something wrong.

So apparently connecting to ONLY the WAN port on the test router is not sufficient. I also had to connect an ethernet cable between the LAN ports as well before I could access the test router interface. Let me know if that doesn't sound correct.

So apparently connecting to ONLY the WAN port on the test router is not sufficient. I also had to connect an ethernet cable between the LAN ports as well before I could access the test router interface. Let me know if that doesn't sound correct.
That depends how you connect to the second router. I have several Network Interface Cards (NIC) in my Computer. I connect all routers behind the main router through via (secondary router) LAN to a NIC.
You might have a loop back if you do it your way. Or simply use another Laptop or Computer to directly connect to the secondary router.

I may have to research this more. If I connect directly from a computer, then I'm connecting to the LAN port and am again without internet to that router.

For the second time in 2020 I notice that Diversion has been uninstalled on my router (it's not listed in amtm).

I'm 99% sure I did not do this... How can this happen?

For the second time in 2020 I notice that Diversion has been uninstalled on my router (it's not listed in amtm).

Diversion cannot uninstall itself unless it's done through the Diversion UI and explicitly started in d.
- Look at the routers syslog for clues.
- Check if Entware still is installed and if so, check if the folder /opt/share/diversion exists and what content it has
- Check if the /jffs/scripts/post-mount shows an entry for Diversion

Unfortunately I already re-installed Diversion (this time from scratch, the previous time from a backup).

The syslog is about 24 hours old, but the only Diversion logging is from after this most recent installation.

Do you have more than one USB device plugged into your router?

Have you given your USB device(s) volume names rather than using the default (e.g. sda1)?

Unfortunately I already re-installed Diversion (this time from scratch, the previous time from a backup).

The syslog is about 24 hours old, but the only Diversion logging is from after this most recent installation.
Did it offer you to install from a previous install?
This would indicate that Diversion was still there.

Do you have more than one USB device plugged into your router?

Have you given your USB device(s) volume names rather than using the default (e.g. sda1)?
Diversion and amtm do not rely on device labels to detect the device Entware is installed on.

Unrelated question, and not that big a deal. How come sometimes Diversion quits to AMTM, and sometimes it quits to the command prompt?
If you follow the log in Diversion and exit with CTRL-C, it will kill the shell session amtm was running in. Nothing I can do about.
Found a way for Diversion to return to amtm after following the logfile with f.
Will be coming to a router near you with the next amtm update.
Thanks @JaimeZX for triggering the thought processing.

I've been using Diversion for a while now and wanted to say thank-you for all the efforts!

One query I have regarding correct configuration - I'm running YazFi to have separate guest networks that route through VPN Client, or direct. When on the VPN network and diversion is active, ipleak.net shows a DNS server based in Singapore. This often results in geo-restricted content blocking being triggered (as presumably they detect the DNS leak). With diversion off, the leak stops.

Is there something in my DNS configuration that I need to tweak? I'm always confused with whether I should be setting strict or exclusive and whether the DNS settings under WAN are still relevant when using diversion.

whether the DNS settings under WAN are still relevant when using diversion.
Diversion doesn’t change your upstream DNS servers you’ve set in the GUI. It blocks unwanted requests before they get sent upstream.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!