What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Everyday, at some point, the ad blocking stops working so I have to shh into the router and turn ad blocking off and back on again to get it working again. Is this a common issue?
No, it's not. It should work continously, without the need to toggle ad blocking. Can you check syslog for any clues?

Can you check syslog for any clues?

Ok, sorry for being 'that guy' but being a bit of a noob, could you direct me to the syslog? and I'll post it here. I've not accessed it in an ASUS router before (Ive never had to).

Code:
 Diversion 4.0.1               by thelonelycoder

RT-AC86U (aarch64) FW-384.6 @ 192.168.1.1

419,169  blocked domains  6  hosts file(s) in use
 17,172 t  17,172 w  375 n ads since Sep 22 05:20

d   Diversion Standard   enabled
 c   communication        DivUn stats backup FWun

a   ad-blocking          to IP 192.168.1.2
 l   logging              /opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log

ep  pixelserv-tls        192.168.1.2 v2.1.2

b   blocking file        Standard+ Sun @ 2:00
 el  edit lists

f   follow dnsmasq.log

e   exit Diversion                 more options  o

Done  ad-blocking enabled

What do you want to do?

I'm not sure where syslog is

Code:
xxxx@RT-AC86U-1960:/tmp/mnt/RT-AC68U/entware/var/log# ls
dnsmasq.log   dnsmasq.log1  dnsmasq.log2
xxxx@RT-AC86U-1960:/tmp/mnt/RT-AC68U/entware/var/log# cd -
/tmp/home/root
xxxx@RT-AC86U-1960:/tmp/home/root# cd /var/log
xxxx@RT-AC86U-1960:/var/log# ls
commit_ret  cores       log         log.nmbd    log.smbd

Last edited:
Ok, sorry for being 'that guy' but being a bit of a noob, could you direct me to the syslog?

I'm 'that guy' as well, so no worries. We're here to complement each other by sharing knowledge, right?

Syslog can be found through the UI, there's a button 'System Log' near the bottom. You can save it from there and open it in a text editor, for example. You can also follow it with an SSH session.

I'm 'that guy' as well, so no worries. We're here to complement each other by sharing knowledge, right?

Syslog can be found through the UI, there's a button 'System Log' near the bottom. You can save it from there and open it in a text editor, for example. You can also follow it with an SSH session.

That's true, I just don't like frustrating others, I've noticed some people can get a little frustrated at times. But thank you for your help. I hope I can return the favor at some point.

Ok, so in the syslog there is a lot of data, as is to be expected. Its set on "debug". I'm not too sure if this data reveals too much personal data, I'll delete it if it does. I'm not too sure how to read it.

I use private bin ...

Last edited:
I'll delete it if it does

Please do so, it contains private info.

Edit: The syslog you uploaded contained roughly 14 minutes of info, none useful as far as I could see. Not sure if on purpose, but you're logging all ACCEPTED connections as well, which means your log is flooded with every single network connection that occurs.

If possible, would you mind setting it to Dropped in Settings? You'll find it on the tab Firewall > Settings:

myVs8oh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so in the syslog there is a lot of data, as is to be expected. Its set on "debug". I'm not too sure if this data reveals too much personal data, I'll delete it if it does. I'm not too sure how to read it.
I don't know anything about Diversion :rolleyes: but the log file is too voluminous. It only covers the last 13 minutes, so any clues will have long since gone.

Not sure if on purpose

Nope, just the way it has been since I reset the router.

Yeah, I thought it looked only a short period of time.

I've set it to "dropped" ... I'll let some time pass until the error occurs again and then post the data??

Thanks again.

I don't know anything about Diversion :rolleyes: but the log file is too voluminous. It only covers the last 13 minutes, so any clues will have long since gone.

Yeah, a lot of data. In such a short period time too.

Again, it's a oneliner: https://diversion.ch/installation/ (try reading the first post more often, it really turns out to be useful :D)
So I have read both the link and first post.
Still would like some clarity, being a NOOB. :confused:
Latest Merlin firmware on my RT-AC66U_B1 and Skynet.

Can I continue to use the same USB that I have for Skynet? Or Do I have to add a second USB Stick?

USB is formatted ext2 and is 16Gb

Finally, Does the installation of Diversion require any pre-requisite software installed? Other than the obvious, Merlin

So I have read both the link and first post.
Still would like some clarity, being a NOOB. :confused:
Latest Merlin firmware on my RT-AC66U_B1 and Skynet.

Can I continue to use the same USB that I have for Skynet? Or Do I have to add a second USB Stick?

USB is formatted ext2 and is 16Gb

Finally, Does the installation of Diversion require any pre-requisite software installed? Other than the obvious, Merlin

I don't re-call needing to load any other software. I installed Diversion first just following that installation guide, and then I installed Skynet. So I gather it will be fine to install Diversion without needing anything else.

@thelonelycoder

OK,
Run into an issue and need to cancel the install and choose Lite.
Diversion01.jpg

I can not change 192.168.1.2 as that is another WiFi router on my network and can not change it.

Best way to cancel the install? or at least have the option to go back?

@thelonelycoder

OK,
Run into an issue and need to cancel the install and choose Lite.
View attachment 14535

I can not change 192.168.1.2 as that is another WiFi router on my network and can not change it.

Best way to cancel the install? or at least have the option to go back?

Install amtm before diversion https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-the-snbforum-asuswrt-merlin-terminal-menu.42415/

You can set pixelserv-tls to use a different ip address - read the prompts carefully.

@PeterR ,
But how do I stop the install of Diversion?
I am at the screen to continue after changing the IP in use.
Do I just close down my SSH session?

@PeterR ,
But how do I stop the install of Diversion?
I am at the screen to continue after changing the IP in use.
Do I just close down my SSH session?

<CTRL> C (pressing control key and c key together) should stop the script.

Every time I re-boot my iMac, I have to disable and re-enable ad blocking in Diversion for it to block ads again. Has anyone else experienced this?
Does your iMac use the same IP as pixelserv-tls does?

Everyday, at some point, the ad blocking stops working so I have to shh into the router and turn ad blocking off and back on again to get it working again. Is this a common issue?
The Syslog will have entries giving a hint what's going on. Post it.

i noticed that in the post-conf.div file you have this piece of code
Code:
if [ -s "${DIVERSION_DIR}/.conf/diversion.conf" ]; then

if [ -f /tmp/diversion.lock ]; then
        logger -t Diversion "diversion.conf is locked by another process, waiting 3secs, from $0"
        sleep 3
        rm -f /tmp/diversion.lock
    fi
seeing as post-conf.div is called from dnsmasq.postconf does this mean that dnsmasq won't restart for 3 seconds? .... I'm wondering if there is an edge case where some other process sees dnsmasq not started during that 3 secs, and then tries to restart it.... and rinse and repeat..... *pure speculation mode ON*
No need to speculate. So far I can rule out that this - or anything else in that file for that matter - causes dnsmasq to repeatedly restart.

This line comes before the 3 seconds wait, so it would show up in the Syslog:
Code:
logger -t Diversion "diversion.conf is locked by another process, waiting 3secs, from $0"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!