What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@thelonelycoder, is there any way of adding extra lists to Diversion. i noticed a remote blacklist can be added but it must be smaller than 4000 entries and if im correct just one hosted blacklist is allowed. is there anyways that can be expanded? btw thank you for you hard work and dedication to the project.

@thelonelycoder, is there any way of adding extra lists to Diversion. i noticed a remote blacklist can be added but it must be smaller than 4000 entries and if im correct just one hosted blacklist is allowed. is there anyways that can be expanded? btw thank you for you hard work and dedication to the project.
In Diversion: b, 1, 2

Hey lonelycoder. Yes i have the standard and the plus hosts enabled and although the lists are pretty good, some things are still not being blocked, hence the question.
Use a larger blocking list in b, 1, 1 or add more hosts files in b, 1, 2

hello, world...

I am trying to validate that my diversion set up is actually working correctly...

Router LAN IP: 192.168.2.1
DNSFilter is ON and set to Router.

WAN Internet connection:
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 12.02.08.png

LAN DHCP Server:
Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 12.02.50.png

On the router (via ssh)
Code:
admin@RT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# nslookup google.com
Server:    9.9.9.9
Address 1: 9.9.9.9 dns9.quad9.net

Name:      google.com
Address 1: 2607:f8b0:4004:800::200e iad30s09-in-x0e.1e100.net
Address 2: 172.217.9.206 iad30s14-in-f14.1e100.net

admin@RT-AC5300:/tmp/home/root# nslookup google.com 192.168.2.1
Server:    192.168.2.1
Address 1: 192.168.2.1 RT-AC5300.local

Name:      google.com
Address 1: 2607:f8b0:4006:802::200e lga34s12-in-x0e.1e100.net
Address 2: 172.217.10.14 lga34s12-in-f14.1e100.net

Looks as expected, right?

But when I do a DNS leak test on a client (Mac OS, iOS) the DNS Server is: 87.101.95.106 "M247 Europe SRL" which confuses me.

Is that expected or do I have something misconfigured?

There is a dhcp_static_list utility here that only saves and restores those static devices, nothing more.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dhcp_staticlist-and-dhcp_hostnames-utility.58957/

Pinging @L&LD - can that utility be used after an M&M config or Nuclear Reset and not violate the idea of not restoring setting to keep from reintroducing errors?

Sure it can, but whether it perpetuates issues is only determined by testing, IMO. :)

While it has its own limitations (see the thread link for more info in your quote above), in theory, it should be 'fine'. ;)

Diversion 4.1.9 is now available

What's new in Diversion 4.1.9
- Auto-correct feature added when menu el <list> is opened and no whitelist, blacklist or wildcard-blacklist is found.
- When restoring Diversion from backup, Entware package zip is installed when configured in backup settings.
- Correctly finds domain(s) when "Find domain in hosts file(s)" is run in b, thanks @dave14305 for the perl regex hint.
- Does not double blocked domain count when IPv6 is enabled.
- Fixes related to IPv6 auto-conversion.
- Moves Diversion specific /jffs/scripts/ files to /jffs/addons/diversion/
- Verbose logging to Syslog in mount-entware.div (renamed post-mount.div) when mounting device(s), reporting reasons if failed.
- New command uu to force update Diversion.
- Renames "entware*" folder to "entware" if found in mount-entware.div.
- Removes option in ep to update pixelserv-tls to v2.3.1 for non Mipsel routers, package is now available through Entware.
- Now shows (Entware) USB device info in header.
- Adds year to the local backup file name.
- Removed colors in Diversion update notification email.

How to update
Use u to update to this latest version.

rYgCPhT.png

@thelonelycoder Did a fresh install of the router and encountered a minor bug. (RT-AC87U)

I did set the number of max connections for SMBv2 to the USB stick to "2 "(AsusWRT-Merlin GUI).
Than i setup/connected the network SMB drive in Windows and made an SSH connection to Diversion.
When i went to edit the blocking lists Diversion began to show warnings in the Diversion GUI.

Code:
/opt/bin/diversion: line 51: can't fork [: bad number

Then i changed the max SMB connections back to 5 and issue was resolved.
So probably the USB stick got locked out as it maxed the 2 SMB connections?
Not sure if you can catch that error in the code, and show a warning that the above might be related to that setting?
That's not something I can do or catch. Users do many things with their routers. Glad you found the causing change yourself that triggers this error.

Diversion 4.1.9 is now available

What's new in Diversion 4.1.9
- Auto-correct feature added when menu el <list> is opened and no whitelist, blacklist or wildcard-blacklist is found.
- When restoring Diversion from backup, Entware package zip is installed when configured in backup settings.
- Correctly finds domain(s) when "Find domain in hosts file(s)" is run in b, thanks @dave14305 for the perl regex hint.
- Does not double blocked domain count when IPv6 is enabled.
- Fixes related to IPv6 auto-conversion.
- Moves Diversion specific /jffs/scripts/ files to /jffs/addons/diversion/
- Verbose logging to Syslog in mount-entware.div (renamed post-mount.div) when mounting device(s), reporting reasons if failed.
- New command uu to force update Diversion.
- Renames "entware*" folder to "entware" if found in mount-entware.div.
- Removes option in ep to update pixelserv-tls to v2.3.1 for non Mipsel routers, package is now available through Entware.
- Now shows (Entware) USB device info in header.
- Adds year to the local backup file name.
- Removed colors in Diversion update notification email.

How to update
Use u to update to this latest version.

rYgCPhT.png
I updated from 4.1.8 from amtm in an ssh session with no problem, but I had to guess that I would use the u option to do the update since that and uu are not in the menus. I vote that you put it there for us who are CRAFT challenged.

Reactions: a5m
I updated from 4.1.8 from amtm in an ssh session with no problem, but I had to guess that I would use the u option to do the update since that and uu are not in the menus. I vote that you put it there for us who are CRAFT challenged.
It's been there ever since Diversion came out: In d where it belongs (d = Diversion options).
Diversion 4.1.9 even added the uu option to that same menu.
The u command is also plastered all over the start page of my website, I usually add it to the twitter feed and in every update post I make here.
u is also intuitive.
The same u command checks for updates in amtm, also coded by thelonelycoder.

Sorry I did not know that d was yet another place for options in addition to the front options page and the o options page. Like I said, I guessed right in using u as is typical in all the other menus for scripts (and yes including amtm).

Reactions: a5m
I had to look that up. I hope I don't forget it. :oops:
This was not mine, I shamelessly lifted it from someone else on this forum. But it does seem to apply to me. :)

Sorry I did not know that d was yet another place for options in addition to the front options page and the o options page. Like I said, I guessed right in using u as is typical in all the other menus for scripts (and yes including amtm).
Diversion has a lot of options. I started grouping them back in the early AB-Solution days.
It would be a long list if they were all on the same screen. Users would then complain that the UI is cluttered.

This was not mine, I shamelessly lifted it from someone else on this forum. But it does seem to apply to me. :)
I vaguely remember that post.

Diversion has a lot of options. I started grouping them back in the early AB-Solution days.
It would be a long list if they were all on the same screen. Users would then complain that the UI is cluttered.
Consider me 1 user in favor of putting u on the front menu.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!