What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think that Xsvrg is saying that he had to do that because be has hardcoded the DNS servers for his network adapter settings (under the Windows/TCP properties tab, and likely set a fixed/static address), rather than relying on DHCP from the router. This works too, but wouldn't be necessary if using DHCP from the router. To each his own...:)
How come it wasn't working for me? DHCP seems to be enabled.
I didn't do it intentionally, and not trying to argue that it's better. I'm new to this lol.

How come it wasn't working for me? DHCP seems to be enabled.
I didn't do it intentionally, and not trying to argue that it's better. I'm new to this lol.
Hmm...it might have just been due to the browser (and/or Windows) still using cached entries, still resolving the ad sites. There are various command line ways to fix this, but one of the easiest (but longest) is to simply reboot the computer between tests.

@Xsvrg what router do you have? What firmware version are you running?

The proper way to get the devices to use the router's assigned DNS is by turning on the LAN, DNSFilter and setting the global filter mode to Router. :)

Assuming you did the rest of the steps correctly and you are not using Firefox as your browser, you should see no more ads unless they are served from the websites (or inline youtube advertising) that serve them.

@jsbeddow @L&LD
I usually use ublock so I disabled it before testing. Basically I tried those websites in Edge, saw ads. Went to the Diversion FAQ, manually changed my ipv4 dns to the router address, refreshed Edge and the ads were gone.

I'm using the latest merlin beta on asus ac68u

The proper way to get the devices to use the router's assigned DNS is by turning on the LAN, DNSFilter and setting the global filter mode to Router. :)
So which DNS servers do I use in that page?

Last edited:
As already stated, set the Global Filter Mode to Router.

GlobalFilterModeRouter- 2020-03-29.png

Run “top” in a terminal. It shows at the top the categories of use. I have seen an issue where NIC went very high and caused other issues.
Cool, wasn't aware of that feature. It was showing 65% idle with the top process taking 2% cpu (dnsmasq log) during today's outage.

Agree, remove stubby and see if you can reproduce.
I tried disabling DNSPrivacy during today's outage, and confirmed stubby was not running afterwards but it had no effect on restoring functionality. During this outage no nslookup commands from my computer were making it through to show up in the dnsmasq log (including router.asus.com), though oddly a few calls did come through from the same computer but they don't appear to have completed, only repeats of these 2 lines; perhaps the router internally was bouncing this request around?

Mar 30 10:06:39 dnsmasq[11315]: query[A] ssl.gstatic.com from 192.168.1.2
Mar 30 10:06:39 dnsmasq[11315]: forwarded ssl.gstatic.com to 127.0.1.1

Is 127.0.1.1 the ip stubby normally listens on? After disabling DNS Privacy I can see the restart of dnsmasq but no entries come in after that. So I'll keep DNS Privacy disabled and see if the issue returns.

Mar 30 10:06:39 dnsmasq[11315]: query[A] ssl.gstatic.com from 192.168.1.2
Mar 30 10:06:39 dnsmasq[11315]: forwarded ssl.gstatic.com to 127.0.1.1

Is 127.0.1.1 the ip stubby normally listens on? After disabling DNS Privacy I can see the restart of dnsmasq but no entries come in after that. So I'll keep DNS Privacy disabled and see if the issue returns.
If it's still forwarding to 127.0.1.1, then dnsmasq thinks Stubby is still enabled.

Cool, wasn't aware of that feature. It was showing 65% idle with the top process taking 2% cpu (dnsmasq log) during today's outage.

Then there is something missing. They should add up to 100%. What was the other item with numbers? I am guessing NIC.

Whoops I misunderstood nic to be Network Interface Card and not 'user nice cpu time' as my googling found :D
Good point then, the top listed process was only reporting 2%. I'll look more closely next time it happens.

* Edit: Seems to be an issue with the USB stick that probably went defective.

Any durable USB Stick you can recommend?

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I'm faced about once a day with pixelserv-tls no longer responding. Is there a way to restart pixelserv-tls manually?

Interestingly enough, Diversion and SkyNet were running without problems (well, aside from not being able to communicate with pixelserv-tls).

Note: In the meantime, I updated to pixelserv-tls v2.3.1. Not sure if this fixes the issue - but having a restart option (not only for pixelserv-tls, but Diversion and Skynet and amtm as well) would be good IMO.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm faced about once a day with pixelserv-tls no longer responding. Is there a way to restart pixelserv-tls manually?

Interestingly enough, Diversion and SkyNet were running without problems (well, aside from not being able to communicate with pixelserv-tls).

Note: In the meantime, I updated to pixelserv-tls v2.3.1. Not sure if this fixes the issue - but having a restart option (not only for pixelserv-tls, but Diversion and Skynet and amtm as well) would be good IMO.

SSH session command line in a terminal.
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls restart

Via Diversion from AMTM
Code:
1 > ep > 4

pixelserv-tls:
Command as posted above by @Butterfly Bones or in Diversion in menu ep.
Diversion:
Disable and re-enable ad-blocking or logging with a or l restarts all Diversion services. Basically anything that restarts Dnsmasq also restarts Diversion.
And this is exactly what this command does:
Code:
diversion restart
There is no restart command for amtm as there is nothimg to restart. amtm runs nothing.

@Rici just use what you have on hand that is 16GB or larger. When it dies, buy another cheap one then. :)

USB drives are not durable. Just use one that works for now. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!