What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello all! I'm running the experimental option to block youtube ads. I know it's experimental, and very hard to block the youtube ads since they are hosted on the same servers as the videos. Unfortunately, it's not working for me. I'm sure you guys here have read this post already, but I wanted to share and ask if this can be applied to Diversion, or the host file for the router in general: https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/9w5swx/i_think_ive_managed_to_block_youtube_ads_with/

Thanks for your thoughts!

I had to uninstall uidivstats and that immediately fixed my high CPU usage after the latest 18 update

What router do you have? I have the RT-AC5300 and I stopped Diversion to fix my high CPU usage. I was going to swap out USB keys, but maybe I will try and this before going the USB route.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Just uninstalled uidivstats and and started up Diversion and it had CPU usage stayed low.

It still could be the USB stick, but not sure

Hello all! I'm running the experimental option to block youtube ads. I know it's experimental, and very hard to block the youtube ads since they are hosted on the same servers as the videos. Unfortunately, it's not working for me. I'm sure you guys here have read this post already, but I wanted to share and ask if this can be applied to Diversion, or the host file for the router in general: https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/9w5swx/i_think_ive_managed_to_block_youtube_ads_with/

Thanks for your thoughts!
The experimental YouTube video ads blocking in Diversion is based on an updated version of your articles author, @grub

If its possible please consider a means of whitelisting without having to process lists entirely; like a whitelist "quick" option or something that doesn't refresh skynet either that only unloads/loads the list to ram if possible; took me close to an hour to go through just a handful of domains the other day, one by one trying to debug, thx

Last edited:
If its possible please consider a means of whitelisting without having to process lists entirely; like a whitelist "quick" option or something that doesn't refresh skynet either that only unloads/loads the list to ram if possible; took me close to an hour to go through just a handful of domains the other day, one by one trying to debug, thx
Good point, I'll think about it.
Though, what should I do with domains that are removed from the whitelist? Add it to the blocking list, even though it might never have been blocked?

The experimental YouTube video ads blocking in Diversion is based on an updated version of your articles author, @grub

I have my Smart TV route through my VPN client, which is connected to a Netflix streaming server. I have the "Accept DNS Configuration" set to "strict", "Force Internet traffic through tunnel" set to "Policy Rules (strict)." Might be a stupid question, I guess I never thought of this, but could that totally prevent the Diversion YouTube ad block from working? I guess theoretically the DNS Configuration set to strict would still allow the Smart TV to use DNS other than the VPN, as opposed to exclusive.

Hello All. If this has been asked before please send the link to it.

I'm having issues with my Samsung TV connecting to the internet and smart features. I don't wants adds, logging, and all the phone home, but I do want to be able to use the apps and Smart features of the TV. The Standard and Small still block things. Pihole doesn't seem to block the essentials but Diversion does. What's the best way to get things unblocked?

I have my Smart TV route through my VPN client, which is connected to a Netflix streaming server. I have the "Accept DNS Configuration" set to "strict", "Force Internet traffic through tunnel" set to "Policy Rules (strict)." Might be a stupid question, I guess I never thought of this, but could that totally prevent the Diversion YouTube ad block from working? I guess theoretically the DNS Configuration set to strict would still allow the Smart TV to use DNS other than the VPN, as opposed to exclusive.
This the new update thread on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/g9ytt9/youtube_some_success_ymmv_please_test/

Currently testing both pihole this script and diversion. It seem after a few weeks, youtube know your ip blocking address and reassign a different geoip. Updating the geoip or resetting the block list on either pihole or diversion seem to help to block the ads again.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8704X using Tapatalk

Hello,
I've been using Diversion/Pixelserv via AMTM for over a year now.

Suddenly, as of today, ads are no longer being blocked.
I haven't made any configuration changes or touched it.

After I saw ads coming through, I did go into AMTM and perform the May 4th update for Diversion, but the issue persists, I still have ads coming through on all my devices.

Any thought on what could cause this, or more importantly, how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

After I saw ads coming through, I did go into AMTM and perform the May 4th update for Diversion, but the issue persists, I still have ads coming through on all my devices.

Thanks in advance!
Are you completely sure the device in question is using the router provided DNS settings? Do you have the DNS Filter setup on the router to only point devices to the router? Are these mobile devices that might have fallen back to mobile data if wifi was briefly unavailable? Cache(s) cleared and/or reboot other devices, etc...

Are you completely sure the device in question is using the router provided DNS settings? Do you have the DNS Filter setup on the router to only point devices to the router? Are these mobile devices that might have fallen back to mobile data if wifi was briefly unavailable? Cache(s) cleared and/or reboot other devices, etc...
The devices I use are my PC (ethernet), Cell Phone (Wi-Fi), Chromebook (Wi-Fi).

I don't know if the devices are using the 'router provided DNS Settings', but I also don't believe I've made any explicit configurations regarding that.

Edit: I looked into this and I don't have DNSFilter turned on at all. (RT-AC68U).

I can guarantee the Wi-Fi devices did not fall back into Mobile Data.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks in advance!

Are you using a VPN client on your phone or computer? This will bypass diversion on your router.

Are you using a VPN client on your phone or computer? This will bypass diversion on your router.

Yes, I use PIA VPN on my router with an .ovpn file.

I have always used that one for years with my router configured this way and it has never caused an issue with the Pixelserv implementation prior to today.

But oddly enough...you're right.
I just did a test, and if I turn the VPN off, the ads are successfully blocked again.

Is there a way to re-implement both Diversion and the VPN simultaneously?

Yes, I use PIA VPN on my router with an .ovpn file.

I have always used that one for years with my router configured this way and it has never caused an issue with the Pixelserv implementation prior to today.

But oddly enough...you're right.
I just did a test, and if I turn the VPN off, the ads are successfully blocked again.

Is there a way to re-implement both Diversion and the VPN simultaneously?

I think if you set the Accept DNS Configuration to Disabled it should use your router's DNS which would then pass the request through Diversion thus enabling ad blocking. To maintain privacy you'll want to use DoT in your router's DNS settings and also use a DNS provider that you trust.

upload_2020-7-14_2-44-41.png

I think if you set the Accept DNS Configuration to Disabled it should use your router's DNS which would then pass the request through Diversion thus enabling ad blocking. To maintain privacy you'll want to use DoT in your router's DNS settings and also use a DNS provider that you trust.

View attachment 24687
Thanks, this actually aligns with an article I read last night, and I planned to try it this morning.

Unfortunately, setting 'Accept DNS Configuration' to 'Disabled' still allows ads to come through.

Would you mind sharing the rest of your settings, along with the Custom Configurations on the bottom?
What's strange to me is that I see you're using Port 1198, and I know that's the recommended setting, but it doesn't work for me, neither does 1197. I have to use Port 502, it's the only one that will allow a connection to occur.

Off topic....

I've tried to configure my router to connect to PIA VPN and then have selective routing for only 1 client. This works and the clients traffic is routed through the VPN connection via the router. However, if I do this, my transfer rate from the client is so slow (about 20-25% that I would get if I connect my client directly to the PIA VPN).

Are you getting decent speeds this way?
25% is about the same amount of speed I get using the VPN, unfortunately.
Or less.

Thanks, this actually aligns with an article I read last night, and I planned to try it this morning.

Unfortunately, setting 'Accept DNS Configuration' to 'Disabled' still allows ads to come through.

Would you mind sharing the rest of your settings, along with the Custom Configurations on the bottom?
What's strange to me is that I see you're using Port 1198, and I know that's the recommended setting, but it doesn't work for me, neither does 1197. I have to use Port 502, it's the only one that will allow a connection to occur.

Do you have DNSFilter enabled and set to "router". If not your clients may be using a client specified DNS settings and bypassing Diversion.

I don't want to derail this thread with general VPN items not related to Diversion. I'll paste my custom config items below but if you have further questions you should start a new thread.

resolv-retry infinite
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
disable-occ
persist-key
persist-tun
fast-io

Hi, Unfortunately I cannot use Diversion with my Tomato Router software.
But the pixelserv-tls runs on Tomato as well.

Diversion creates a pretty good blocking list.
Mine is now 1 year old and I would like to have a current one without Asus Merlin to flash on the router first.

Maybe someone here can help me and provide me with the current blocking list?
Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!