What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Isn't this a great forum? One asks for advice:
USB formatted to ext2 or ext4 for an RT-AC1900P?
And gets three replies within 10 minutes
Both are fine. When benchmarking I noticed ext4 (even with journalling enabled) has slightly better performance, but YMMV. I doubt whether you will ever notice the difference.
Whatever floats your boat. I use ext2 on the same router model. And I also have the disk checker from amtm enabled on all my routers. Never once had a problem ever since.
Some like ext2 like me, and some like ext4. It is your choice really. I use ext2 because it is basic and fast.
I'm loving it :cool:

Is this Disk Check log good or bad?
View attachment 14716
It is good. The disk check found an issue (probably from a improper shut down or something) and fixed it. The second line is a clean disk check. (probably from a normal reboot).

Hm, I always get usb was not cleanly unmounted, check forced; never clean...

Should I worry?

Hm, I always get usb was not cleanly unmounted, check forced; never clean...

Should I worry?
No wonder if you always pull the plug...

First is after issuing a Reboot from the WebUI, second is pulling the plug.
Code:
Thu Oct 11 18:21:49 DST 2018 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda1'
/dev/sda1: clean, 879/489600 files, 119831/1956355 blocks

Thu Oct 11 18:24:08 DST 2018 Starting 'e2fsck -p /dev/sda1'
/dev/sda1 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
/dev/sda1: 879/489600 files (2.2% non-contiguous), 119831/1956355 blocks

Why is there no option to Shut down from the WebUI, like normal computer?
Because your router is not a normal computer. There is no "halt" or "shutdown" signal found anywhere in the Asuswrt code. Or any other router or always on device for that matter. Your router can only boot or reboot. That is its normal state: To boot up and run when plugged in.

Why is there no option to Shut down from the WebUI, like normal computer?
That’s why it is not good to put a hdd there.. lol. Imagine spinning and reading/writing half way, router shut down. Bad for hdd.

So I really miss the ability to display only the blocked sites that was in AB Blocker as it made it easy to know what needed to be whitelisted to make a site work. In Diversion the log follow displays everything. Is there a way to have it only show the blocked ones?

Thank you.

What do you mean with that? Pulling the power plug? Pulling the USB drive?

I do neither. Most of these boots are because of a firmware update... (are those not clean?)
That's what I meant, but apparently, I was wrong.

So I really miss the ability to display only the blocked sites that was in AB Blocker as it made it easy to know what needed to be whitelisted to make a site work. In Diversion the log follow displays everything. Is there a way to have it only show the blocked ones?

Thank you.
Update Diversion and check again the f options from the UI.

The new filtering options are awesome! Great job!

Does blocked by blockinglist the only result that can show up there? If so, maybe shorten it? If it's really the only one I guess it could be removed because we know red means blocked. Just making suggestion here...

One last thing to improve filering list again would be to add a timestamp.

blocked by blockinglist www.google-analytics.com
blocked by blockinglist secure.adnxs.com
blocked by blockinglist googleads.g.doubleclick.net

To:

[18:54:03.34] blocked www.google-analytics.com
[18:54:03.77] blocked secure.adnxs.com
[18:54:05.21] blocked googleads.g.doubleclick.net

edit: oops I see there is already timestamp on other filtering options so the feature is there, just missing for blocked domains filter.

I seem to have missed this and could not find much on it when searching the thread. What exactly is skynet wife mode?

The new filtering options are awesome! Great job!

Does blocked by blockinglist the only result that can show up there? If so, maybe shorten it? If it's really the only one I guess it could be removed because we know red means blocked. Just making suggestion here...

One last thing to improve filering list again would be to add a timestamp.

blocked by blockinglist www.google-analytics.com
blocked by blockinglist secure.adnxs.com
blocked by blockinglist googleads.g.doubleclick.net

To:

[18:54:03.34] blocked www.google-analytics.com
[18:54:03.77] blocked secure.adnxs.com
[18:54:05.21] blocked googleads.g.doubleclick.net

edit: oops I see there is already timestamp on other filtering options so the feature is there, just missing for blocked domains filter.
Blocked by blockinglist | blacklist | wildcard-blacklist

I seem to have missed this and could not find much on it when searching the thread. What exactly is skynet wife mode?
When the wife or someone else wants to visit THAT website and do stuff. And things don't work quite like they should on that site and you'd have to whitelist a lot or use a smaller blocking file. That's where fs comes to your help in Diversion, it fast switches between two blocking files. I made a deal with @Adamm andhe named his function wm - wife mode.
My part of the deal was auto-adding www and non-www domains when whitelisting.

Welcome
This is Diversion - the Router Adblocker for Asuswrt-Merlin

AB-Solution is now Diversion

All install and update info, as well as other useful information is on the Diversion website.

October 11, 2018
Diversion 4.0.3 is now available
See this post or the Diversion website for the change log

Diversion is free to use under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL-3.0).
If you like Diversion and find it useful, you can help it's further development with a donation.
Thank you!

To see the fancy ticks and crosses that Diversion shows during operations, make sure your SSH terminal encoding is set to UTF-8.

Diversion is interactive. To start the Diversion UI after installation, use
Code:
diversion
For quick operation options without starting the UI, use
Code:
diversion help
to make yourself familiar with the available options.

Screenshots of Diversion 4.0.3, standard and extended menu (more options o)

0dbEpEW.png
Hello,

Before I attempt to install this, i would like to ask about installation: the install guide states this:

"Copy and paste the complete install command above into your favorite SSH Terminal, then press Enter.
This command will download the latest version and start the installer routine"

Is that all thats required for install onto an Asus RT-ACxx router?

And also, what is meant by “favorite SSH terminal”? My assumption is that the code is written directly to the router via SSH from ie; Mac terminal, or some such other utility?

Looking forward to trying out this service so any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.... y'all have a good day.
bUk

Is that all thats required for install onto an Asus RT-ACxx router?

Yes (and a USB flash drive).

And also, what is meant by “favorite SSH terminal”? My assumption is that the code is written directly to the router via SSH from ie; Mac terminal, or some such other utility?

Mac's terminal, or some such other utility (like iTerm), is exactly what's meant.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!