What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seems to be free. But I'm sure they do some data gathering for their own good.
I stick to my script. Here I know exactly what it's doing ;).

Certainly no phoning home in Diversion, exept he update check if enabled.. I would not want to know what you all use the internet for.

Btw @Skeptical.me Diversion is tolerant to preinstalled Entware. The Entware installer is not. So you best let Diversion do its thing and keep your fingers away from other stuff unless you know what you do.

I agree, I'm inexperienced ... so best to leave things alone.

I spoke too soon ... Diversion is blocking ads across devices, however it seems the logs are indicating an issue:

Code:
Oct 17 06:56:54 pixelserv-tls[24064]: 7894 uts, 1 log, 0 kcc, 1 kmx, 0.08 kvg, 2 krq, 1545 req, 95 avg, 1320 rmx, 0 tav, 24 tmx, 0 slh, 532 slm, 0 sle, 0 slc, 973 slu, 0 uca, 0 uce, 37 sct, 937 sch, 0 scm, 0 scp, 0 sst, 0 ssh, 0 ssm, 0 ssp, 0 nfe, 0 gif, 0 ico, 0 txt, 0 jpg, 0 png, 0 swf, 0 sta, 0 stt, 0 ufe, 0 opt, 40 pst, 0 hed, 0 rdr, 0 nou, 0 pth, 0 204, 0 bad, 0 tmo, 0 cls, 0 cly, 0 clt, 0 err
Oct 17 06:56:54 pixelserv-tls[24064]: sslctx_tbl_save: failed to open /opt/var/cache/pixelserv/prefetch
Oct 17 06:58:58 rc_service: httpds 8087:notify_rc restart_dnsmasq
Oct 17 06:58:58 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf (args: /etc/dnsmasq.conf ) - max timeout = 120s
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: started, version 2.80test7 cachesize 1500
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-RTC no-DBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack ipset no-auth DNSSEC no-ID loop-detect no-inotify no-dumpfile
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: warning: interface tun22 does not currently exist
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: warning: interface tun21 does not currently exist
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: warning: interface pptp* does not currently exist
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: asynchronous logging enabled, queue limit is 5 messages
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq-dhcp[32088]: DHCP, IP range 192.168.1.4 -- 192.168.1.254, lease time 1d
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: read /etc/hosts.dnsmasq - 10 addresses
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq-dhcp[32088]: not giving name ATV-4K to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.234 because the name exists in /etc/hosts.dnsmasq with address 192.168.1.217
Oct 17 06:58:58 dnsmasq[32088]: using nameserver 10.114.0.1#53

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems to be free. But I'm sure they do some data gathering for their own good.
I stick to my script. Here I know exactly what it's doing ;).

Certainly no phoning home in Diversion, exept he update check if enabled.. I would not want to know what you all use the internet for.

Btw @Skeptical.me Diversion is tolerant to preinstalled Entware. The Entware installer is not. So you best let Diversion do its thing and keep your fingers away from other stuff unless you know what you do.

Problem solved. I ejected the 1st USB Drive, then just opened a new 32GB USB Drive, placed it into the router, formatted it and installed Diversion and Skynet and everything is fine.

Problem solved. I ejected the 1st USB Drive, then just opened a new 32GB USB Drive, placed it into the router, formatted it and installed Diversion and Skynet and everything is fine.

Did you format the USB at the router level or did you use another program to do that? What format did you end using, ext2 or any other one?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you format the USB at the router level or did you use another program to do that? What format did you end using, ext2 or any other one?

Thanks

I used the router to format the USB Drive as @M@rco instructed me a few weeks back, he suggested using ext4 and it seems to work perfectly ok.

I used the router to format the USB Drive as @M@rco instructed me a few weeks back, he suggested using ext4 and it seems to work perfectly ok.

I see. Would you guide me to that thread? No problem if you can’t.

Thanks!

As I said earlier you need to route any traffic coming on 8.8.8.8 to your router IP that way 8.8.8.8 will become your routers DNS server for such devices.
As asked earlier: How to do that?

It is clearly something that I have to do at my Asuswrt-Merlin router. But what & where?

@thelonelycoder : Can you please help me with that?

Is there a way for Diversion and/or Asuswrt-Merlin to catch devices that use hard-coded DNS servers (such as Chromecast and Roku) and force them to go through Diversion?

Enable DNSFilter, and set it to redirect all clients to "Router".

That method is way better than static routes since you don't have to set it up for multiple servers. I didn't knew that forced DNS was available in DNSFilter. Thanks [emoji106][emoji106]

As asked earlier: How to do that?

It is clearly something that I have to do at my Asuswrt-Merlin router. But what & where?

@thelonelycoder : Can you please help me with that?

Go to LAN->DNSFilter

Toggle "Enable DNS-based Filtering" to ON.
Global Filter Mode: Router
Remove the entries from the three custom DNS boxes if they're populated.

Hit Apply and Viola!!

Of course, I already did that - according to the instructions at https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/how-to-exclude-a-client-from-ad-blocking.html, to exclude a file from ad-blocking.

Because of that I have set 'Global Filter Mode' to 'NO filtering'.

Does the Chromecast & Co (devices wird hard-coded DNS servers) rerouting to Diversion still work, even if 'Global Filter Mode' is set to 'NO filtering' ?

And how to prove that the DNS redirecting for Chromecast & Co. to Diversion is working properly?

Last edited:
Hello and thanks for a great product!

I have a question. When diversion (standard with standard blocking file) is enabled it blocks the function of my youtube view history.
If I disable diversion the list will update with videos I've watched plus I can see the thin red line at the bottom which indicates how much of each video I watched.
When I enable diversion again the list will no longer update. It is still there, just not updating.

Is there a way to fix this?

/Lyrath

Of course, I already did that - according to the instructions at https://diversion.ch/faq-reader/how-to-exclude-a-client-from-ad-blocking.html, to exclude a file from ad-blocking.

Because of that I have set 'Global Filter Mode' to 'NO filtering'.

Does the Chromecast & Co (devices wird hard-coded DNS servers) rerouting to Diversion still work, even if 'Global Filter Mode' is set to 'NO filtering' ?

And how to prove that the DNS redirecting for Chromecast & Co. to Diversion is working properly?

Instead of changing Global Filter Mode to "No Filtering" use the Cleint List and just exclude the one device you don't want to use Diversion.

I just want to thank lonely as i just upgrade from abs to diversion last weekend and it seems to be faster and wildcard is really a big feature :)

I'm about to reformat my USB stick and I just wanted to make sure my ducks are in a row:

Where are the locations of my custom hosts file and my white/blacklists? After saving them, would I have to replace them in the same location after the Diversion reinstall procedure? Or would I be better off copying and pasting their contents through WinSCP after the reinstall?

I'm about to reformat my USB stick and I just wanted to make sure my ducks are in a row:

Where are the locations of my custom hosts file and my white/blacklists? After saving them, would I have to replace them in the same location after the Diversion reinstall procedure? Or would I be better off copying and pasting their contents through WinSCP after the reinstall?

The files are in the folders in /opt/share/diversion (/opt being the entware folder on your USB drive). If configured, I'd use the backup function from within Diversion, using c, 3 and 2.

@thelonelycoder, Mr. TLC, could it be that the $ sign is not allowed in passwords? I've been trying to setup a new mail account in Diversion but couldn't figure out why it wouldn't succeed. Now, when I paste my password and check it, it seems it's cut off exactly at the $ sign. Should I avoid that in Diversion? Are there other characters to be avoided?

@thelonelycoder, Mr. TLC, could it be that the $ sign is not allowed in passwords? I've been trying to setup a new mail account in Diversion but couldn't figure out why it wouldn't succeed. Now, when I paste my password and check it, it seems it's cut off exactly at the $ sign. Should I avoid that in Diversion? Are there other characters to be avoided?
As this is a variable enclosed in "", don't use $,", ` and '. It will be iterpreted as variable ($), end of the variable (" and ') start of a function or test (`).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!