What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Observation: Hey @thelonelycoder, is my memory usage down because this version uses less, or is it a placebo indication?

Tried porting, it hung while porting settings, and messed up the internet connection; was unable to connect to the net to re-install ab-solution or diversion. Had to back up from an outdated 2 month old jffs backup! make sure you back up your jffs before running the port! I thought about it but failed to do so thinking everything would go smoothly.

Ported AB to Diversion with no issues ... Shooters blacklist converted to custom and + settings intact. thanks for the extra dnsmasq logging :)

Screenshot_2018-08-26_08.26.55.png

I backed up my buggered jffs folder before restoring an outdated one, what files should I merge from the old one to keep the most recent backup functional?

got this far:

✔ pixelserv-tls stopped
✔ Old start scripts cleaned

Last edited:
Tried porting, it hung while porting settings, and messed up the internet connection; was unable to connect to the net to re-install ab-solution or diversion. Had to back up from an outdated 2 month old jffs backup! make sure you back up your jffs before running the port! I thought about it but failed to do so thinking everything would go smoothly.
Same here unfortunately. All outgoing queries were blocked and it hung on 'Porting all settings....' (or something alike) all night. Decided to start fresh with a different USB drive. If there's anything I can supply to troubleshoot this, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
From AMTM to Diversion then when exit. Didn’t go back to AMTM.
Should it go back? Just wondering.
It should return to amtm.
Follow dnsmasq no longer have the option of just seeing what is blocked only.
Now showing unfiltered dnsmasq log. Can we have the show only blocked option?
I'll take it from there. For now this only option will have to do.
The Diversion code has not a single line in common with the AB-Solution code. It was a lot of work and I had to cut corners here and there to get where I am now. Features will be simpler to add in Diversion than in the AB-Solution code.

I can't replicate your problem with pixelserv-tls. My best guess is you run a very old Entware version on your router.
Try to update opkg to the new Entware repo (formerly known as Entware-NG).
All installations I did with beta versions of pixelserv-tls installed run as smooth as I intended through the Diversion installer.

If you manage to install Diversion, just copy over your saved files in /diversion/list to /opt/share/diversion/list.
Only copy these: blacklist, whitelist and maybe hostslist (with the ported hosts lists from AB3).
The ps switches file goes into /opt/share/diversion/.conf

Same here unfortunately. All outgoing queries were blocked and it hung on 'Porting all settings....' (or something alike) all night. Decided to start fresh with a different USB drive. If there's anything I can supply to troubleshoot this, let me know.
All install, reinstall and update operations in Diversion write a log file to /opt/share/diversion/log, it can be viewed in sf.
If you have a backup of that directory from the failed update it might help track it down.

I backed up my buggered jffs folder before restoring an outdated one, what files should I merge from the old one to keep the most recent backup functional?

got this far:

✔ pixelserv-tls stopped
✔ Old start scripts cleaned
Right after 'Old start scripts cleaned' Diversion restarts Dnsmasq to unload entries in dnsmasq.conf.
You may have some exotic entries in /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf that prevent Dnsmasq from restarting.

Ported AB to Diversion with no issues ... Shooters blacklist converted to custom and + settings intact. thanks for the extra dnsmasq logging :)
You're welcome. Good to know the extra coding for log-queries=extra was worth the time.

All install, reinstall and update operations in Diversion write a log file to /opt/share/diversion/log, it can be viewed in sf.
If you have a backup of that directory from the failed update it might help track it down.

Okay. First I have to get to things up and running again (Diversion installed fine btw, using a clean install on another thumb drive). I'll get the log file from the old drive when done.

Okay. First I have to get to things up and running again (Diversion installed fine btw, using a clean install on another thumb drive). I'll get the log file from the old drive when done.
The contents of your /jffs/scripts/ directory before the update would also be of interest. Backups are stored in a folder called /old-jffs_scripts on the device.

Nevermind I manually went through each file and copied them. So I tried updating again, it hangs while porting settings and blocklists... zero cpu use as well. Didn't wait longer than 10 minutes for completion. How long should this take? Was hoping to keep the stats, but if necessary hopefully a clean install will be fine last restort..

Right after 'Old start scripts cleaned' Diversion restarts Dnsmasq to unload entries in dnsmasq.conf.
You may have some exotic entries in /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf that prevent Dnsmasq from restarting.

@thelonelycoder I noticed Diversion removes all custom lines from /scripts/dnsmasq.postconf settings. Why is that? Is diversion trying to connect to the internet immediately after that during the porting phase? How can I install Diversion with these custom dnsmasq settings? Should I input them manually again and restart dnsmasq manually while it says 'porting'? The internet connectivity issue persists after reboot.

Last edited:
Nevermind I manually went through each file and copied them. So I tried updating again, it hangs while porting settings and blocklists... zero cpu use as well. Didn't wait longer than 10 minutes for completion. How long should this take? Was hoping to keep the stats, but if necessary hopefully a clean install will be fine last restort..

@thelonelycoder I noticed Diversion removes all custom lines from /scripts/dnsmasq.postconf settings. Why is that? Is diversion trying to connect to the internet as well during the porting phase? How can I install Diversion with these custom settings? Should I input them manually again and restart dnsmasq manually?
Post your entries in that file. If it catches a certain string it will remove it and port commonly used script entries back into a new file, along with the source link for the Diversion directives.

Updated previous post, i see the folders under /opt/share/diversion but all are empty. Would it not be better if the installer only removed entries related to absolution? Also, because connectivity issues persist on reboot, I'm confused; it should be fine with a default postconf. something i'll have to look further into when no body is using the connection, I can see if I can get dnsmasq running manually;

it is important to know if Diversion connects to the internet immediately after attempting to restart dnsmasq.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

[ -x /jffs/dnscrypt/manager ] && /jffs/dnscrypt/manager dnsmasq

# DO NOT EDIT this part of the file #
# generated by AB-Solution 3.11
if [ -d "/tmp/mnt/psda1" ];then
    source /tmp/mnt/psda1/adblocking/scripts/ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh
    logger "AB-Solution linked ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh via $0"
fi
# end of DO NOT EDIT #

###########################################################
####   Block PTR on localhost, allow PTR for clients   ####
###########################################################

CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
sed -i '$a\ ' $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\###############################################' $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\#Block PTR on localhost, allow PTR for clients#' $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\###############################################' $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\ ' $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\####################################' $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\#May Speed up Browsing Considerably#' $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\####################################' $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\ ' $CONFIG

#pc_append "server=/in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
#pc_append "server=/ip6.arpa/" $CONFIG
#pc_append "server=/168.192.in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
#(seems to boot somewhat faster with this not blocked, ntp didn't take as long either)
#pc_append "server=/127.in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
#(was error in pixelserv with this disabled, + NTP issues)
#pc_append "server=/255.in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
#pc_append "server=/0.in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
pc_append "address=/telem/192.168.50.2" $CONFIG
pc_append "address=/lytics/192.168.50.2" $CONFIG
#pc_append "dnssec-check-unsigned" $CONFIG

#pc_append "local=/in-addr.arpa/" $CONFIG
#pc_delete "dnssec-no-timecheck" $CONFIG
#pc_append "server=/168.192.in-addr.arpa/#" $CONFIG
sed -i '$a\#Experimental, Disable all Arpa: https://www.iana.org/domains/arpa' $CONFIG
pc_append "server=/arpa/" $CONFIG
pc_append "bogus-priv" $CONFIG
pc_append "bogus-nxdomain=64.94.110.11" $CONFIG
#pc_append "server=/192.168.50.52.in-addr.arpa/#" $CONFIG

Last edited:
Also your install script replaces

Code:
#!/bin/sh
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall save # Skynet Firewall Addition

/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung stop
# end of DO NOT EDIT #

[ -x /jffs/dnscrypt/manager ] && /jffs/dnscrypt/manager services-stop

with

Code:
#!/bin/sh

under services-stop

while similar code is successfully maintained in wan-start with absolution entries removed. This is all the code that is left.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
[ -x /jffs/dnscrypt/manager ] && /jffs/dnscrypt/manager wan-start

original wan-start code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

psState=on
if [ $psState == "on" ];then
    ifconfig br0:pixelserv 192.168.50.2 up
    logger "AB-Solution created br0:pixelserv 192.168.50.2 via $0"
fi
# end of DO NOT EDIT #

Last edited:
Also your install script replaces

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung stop
# end of DO NOT EDIT #

[ -x /jffs/dnscrypt/manager ] && /jffs/dnscrypt/manager services-stop

with

Code:
#!/bin/sh

under services-stop

while the same code is successfully maintained in wan-start with absolution entries removed. This is all the code that is left.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

original wan-start code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

psState=on
if [ $psState == "on" ];then
    ifconfig br0:pixelserv 192.168.50.2 up
    logger "AB-Solution created br0:pixelserv 192.168.50.2 via $0"
fi
# end of DO NOT EDIT #
I have to break with the old AB-Solution code in jffs to conform to the new standard. The time is now and I am unable to come up with code that would remove AB code in jffs selectively. There is just too much of it and in non-consistent form there.
I have to move on. You will have to do the same.

The new jffs standard Diversion and Skynet use was discussed here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...tion-for-better-environment-management.39176/

Understandable. Re-importing the code manually is really not a big deal. Just curious why it hangs while porting, does it get stuck trying connect to the internet immediately after restarting dnsmasq during the porting phase?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!