What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does anyone know what to whitelist for the Facebook messenger app to stop incoming pictures from being blocked ? Also the in app gifs section to send in messages are also blocked

I've tried watching the log to catch what it is but it's not not showing up on it

Anyone have any suggestions

Does anyone know what to whitelist for the Facebook messenger app to stop incoming pictures from being blocked ? Also the in app gifs section to send in messages are also blocked

I've tried watching the log to catch what it is but it's not not showing up on it

Anyone have any suggestions
I recently had to add b-api.facebook.com in order to resolve some images from being displayed.

I recently had to add b-api.facebook.com in order to resolve some images from being displayed.

The in app gifs section still isn't showing after adding that but haven't been able to check if incoming picture messages are OK yet.

This is what I have whitelisted to get fb and messenger to work with the exception of the earlier stated issues... If it helps anyone else...

Code:
 27: m.facebook.com
 29: facebook.com
 30: fbcdn.net
 36: www.facebook.com
 37: video.xx.fbcdn.net
 38: static.xx.fbcdn.net #facebook
 39: edge-chat.facebook.com
 40: edge-mqtt.facebook.com
 41: scontent.xx.fbcdn.net

thanks for the system easy install on r7000
but how i can check if all runs fine ?? i set up pixelserv with 192.168.1.2 all ips are above 2 my first pc have 3

but how i can check if it works ??? i see in the ui that 1 host file is blocked but no ads countet

alsow can i set that some devices can show ads?? like my work pc for websites and my smartphone to see ads for getting gems in games

Last edited:
The in app gifs section still isn't showing after adding that but haven't been able to check if incoming picture messages are OK yet.

This is what I have whitelisted to get fb and messenger to work with the exception of the earlier stated issues... If it helps anyone else...

Code:
 27: m.facebook.com
 29: facebook.com
 30: fbcdn.net
 36: www.facebook.com
 37: video.xx.fbcdn.net
 38: static.xx.fbcdn.net #facebook
 39: edge-chat.facebook.com
 40: edge-mqtt.facebook.com
 41: scontent.xx.fbcdn.net
When I converted the router at the school I support, I configured Diversion to use the Medium block list. I then got complaints that FB was blocked as well as messenger. I changed to Standard.

I have seen the problem you describe. It can be a challenge trying to find the offending domain. FB may be using CDN for images which makes it even more challenging to identify. If you need a short term fix, change to Standard to keep users on your network happy!

You can see the facebook entries in the blocklist file using this command.
Code:
grep "facebook" /opt/share/diversion/list/blockinglist

Here are a list of FB domains I got via a web search:
Code:
27.0.0.1   www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1   facebook.com
127.0.0.1   login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1   www.login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1   fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1   www.fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1   fbcdn.com
127.0.0.1   www.fbcdn.com
127.0.0.1   static.ak.fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1   static.ak.connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1   connect.facebook.net
127.0.0.1   www.connect.facebook.net
127.0.0.1   apps.facebook.com

Do any those adsblock files block Chinese sites? If not, what is the easy way to do with a customized hosts file?

Do any those adsblock files block Chinese sites? If not, what is the easy way to do with a customized hosts file?

I use SkyNet for this...
from the OP for the Skynet thread:
(sh /jffs/scripts/firewall ban country "pk cn sa") This Bans The Known IPs For The Specified Countries (Accepts Single/Multiple Inputs If Quoted) http://www.ipdeny.com/ipblocks/data/countries/

Or you can use Option 2, Ban from the Skynet menu. You'll be given the choice of countries, then you can enter a list of 2 letter abbrev. for the countries you want to ban.

When I converted the router at the school I support, I configured Diversion to use the Medium block list. I then got complaints that FB was blocked as well as messenger. I changed to Standard.

I have seen the problem you describe. It can be a challenge trying to find the offending domain. FB may be using CDN for images which makes it even more challenging to identify. If you need a short term fix, change to Standard to keep users on your network happy!

You can see the facebook entries in the blocklist file using this command.
Code:
grep "facebook" /opt/share/diversion/list/blockinglist

Here are a list of FB domains I got via a web search:
Code:
27.0.0.1   www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1   facebook.com
127.0.0.1   login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1   www.login.facebook.com
127.0.0.1   fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1   www.fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1   fbcdn.com
127.0.0.1   www.fbcdn.com
127.0.0.1   static.ak.fbcdn.net
127.0.0.1   static.ak.connect.facebook.com
127.0.0.1   connect.facebook.net
127.0.0.1   www.connect.facebook.net
127.0.0.1   apps.facebook.com

OK, looks like I got everything working ... Here's the domain's I whitelisted for the fb messenger app

Code:
0-undefined.facebook.com
1-undefined.facebook.com
2-undefined.facebook.com
5-undefined.facebook.com
6-undefined.facebook.com
api.facebook.com
b-graph.facebook.com
edge-mqtt.facebook.com
fbcdn-dragon-a.akamaihd.net
graph.facebook.com
mqtt.c10r.facebook.com
star.c10r.facebook.com
undefined.facebook.com
upload.facebook.com
www.messenger.com
z-m.c10r.facebook.com

I'm using the medium block list and with what I whitelisted here and my above post, I have both fb app and fb messenger app both working.

OK, looks like I got everything working ... Here's the domain's I whitelisted for the fb messenger app

Code:
0-undefined.facebook.com
1-undefined.facebook.com
2-undefined.facebook.com
5-undefined.facebook.com
6-undefined.facebook.com
api.facebook.com
b-graph.facebook.com
edge-mqtt.facebook.com
fbcdn-dragon-a.akamaihd.net
graph.facebook.com
mqtt.c10r.facebook.com
star.c10r.facebook.com
undefined.facebook.com
upload.facebook.com
www.messenger.com
z-m.c10r.facebook.com

I'm using the medium block list and with what I whitelisted here and my above post, I have both fb app and fb messenger app both working.
Thanks for sharing the fix. Since we are the first to notice the FB issue using the medium block list, makes me wonder if most plp are using the small block list.

Thanks for sharing the fix. Since we are the first to notice the FB issue using the medium block list, makes me wonder if most plp are using the small block list.

I started with the standard list, but found that it didn't block enough from coming through So I switched to the medium list and it made a difference. Facebook Twitter and Instagram had to be whitelisted manually though...the rest were fairly easy to find but fb was a pain

Last edited:
So my internet provider (Spectrum) is garbage. Usually when we have outages they are for hours. Lately, we have had the internet drop for 1-5 minutes a few times a day.

As a result of this, I noticed ads popping back up on various devices on my network. Doing some digging, it appears that Diversion doesn’t start back up automatically once the WAN comes back up and I have to manually restart the router to get it to take effect again. Is there anything I can do to have Diversion automatically restart once the WAN comes back up after going down?

Doing some digging, it appears that Diversion doesn’t start back up automatically once the WAN comes back up and I have to manually restart the router to get it to take effect again. Is there anything I can do to have Diversion automatically restart once the WAN comes back up after going down?

As far as I'm aware, Diversion doesn't 'shut down' when your internet connection goes down. It has already done its magic and uses cronjobs to perform its main and several other tasks (keeping your blocklist up to date, generate stats, create backups etc). What made you come to the conclusion ' Diversion doesn't work anymore' when your WAN comes back up?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I'm aware, Diversion doesn't 'shut down' when your internet connection goes down. It has already done its magic and uses cronjobs to perform its main and several other tasks (keeping your blocklist up to date, generate stats, create backups etc). What made you come to the conclusion 'doesn't work anymore' when your WAN comes back up?
What I noticed is that ads began popping up on all my devices on the network. When I looked through the ASUS System Log the only thing out of the ordinary that I could see is that the WAN went down and then came back up. Once I restarted my router all the ads would be blocked again. And since this has happened numerous times it doesn’t appear to be a one-off.

What I noticed is that ads began popping up on all my devices on the network. When I looked through the ASUS System Log the only thing out of the ordinary that I could see is that the WAN went down and then came back up. Once I restarted my router all the ads would be blocked again. And since this has happened numerous times it doesn’t appear to be a one-off.
What DNS are you using?

Just system DNS
Next time the wan restarts try accessing the servstats page. The instructions are on the first page of this thread. If you can, then pixelserv-tls is running.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!