What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why so rude?

IMHO, sometimes the instructions are helpful, sometimes not.

There was no intention to be rude whatsoever. Diversion has an increasing amount of documentation, but it takes time for @thelonelycoder to (re-)write it. If the instructions are unclear, try using the search first and if you can't find an answer, feel free to post your question here. By first searching for an answer yourself, you're more likely to remember it for the future. There are plently of people who patiently try to answer every question posted here, even when it's being asked for 1000th time.

There was no intention to be rude whatsoever.
IMO, the hint "RTFM" is at least rude-ish.
If the instructions are unclear, try using the search first and if you can't find an answer, feel free to post your question here.
That's what I did.
By first searching for an answer yourself, you're more likely to remember it for the future.
Nope, completely wrong. For example, I remember the answer hat I (hopefully) _get_ and then bookmark it when needed.

And sometimes it's not that easy. For example, I am pretty sure I read somewhere that for a good installation I should create two partitions on an USB stick - one for Diversion and one for Entware. That's what I did.

But now I like to install Skynet and like to have just one "big" single partition on that USB stick. How to revert my Diversion installation to that? Sure, de- and then reinstalling is an option. But is there a better, more efficient way to do that?

I don't know, and the manual contains no information about that (at least I haven't seen it).

So what to do?

IMO, the hint "RTFM" is at least rude-ish.
That's just an expression, I'm sorry if it offended you.
That's what I did.
Yes, you did but you didn't read the instructions given to you, hence you asked again while the answer was already given. Next @thelonelycoder kindly requested you
Do as I explained.
and then you managed to solve your issue.
Nope, completely wrong. For example, I remember the answer hat I (hopefully) _get_ and then bookmark it when needed.
No problem, everyone has his/her own ways and that's perfectly fine. I'm just trying to point out that using the search, you would have found the answer you were looking for. As you can imagine, in a thread about an adblocker like Diversion, there are tons of questions posted (and answered) about the concept of whitelisting. Regardless whether it has been asked a thousand times before, we'll be there.

Are we done now? Otherwise you'd better send me a PM, okay?

Last edited by a moderator:
For example, I am pretty sure I read somewhere that for a good installation I should create two partitions on an USB stick - one for Diversion and one for Entware.

I saw that comment earlier and tried finding where you read that. I truly can't find it, so if you can provide a link, that would be great. There's absolutely no need whatsoever to create two partitions, you'll be actually over-complicating things.

Edit: sorry, missed your last question!

So what to do?

If you have things running now, I'd say leave it as it is for now. Unless you want to start over. If I were you and new to the matter, I'd get comfortable first with the ways things are working and then, at a later stage, start fresh with only a single partition. If you need help to backup and restore by that time, use the search and if you don't get it or are unsure, just ask. We'll help you out.

And sometimes it's not that easy. For example, I am pretty sure I read somewhere that for a good installation I should create two partitions on an USB stick - one for Diversion and one for Entware. That's what I did
That may have been true for AB-Solution. Diversion requires (and does the install of) Entware and installes itself completely into the Entware directory structure.

Yes, you did but you didn't read the instructions given to you, hence you asked again while the answer was already given.
Again, you are wrong: I asked, did not understand the answer, and asked for clarification. In my mind, that legit - but obviously you have a different opinion.

No problem, everyone has his/her own ways and that's perfectly fine. I'm just trying to point out that using the search, you would have found the answer you were looking for.
Actually I never was searching for "amazon" since I have been looking for a general solution of how to find out what blacklisted domain is responsible for not showing content on a client.
So that one goes to you ;-)

Are we done now?
Done.

That may have been true for AB-Solution. Diversion requires (and does the install of) Entware and installes itself completely into the Entware directory structure.
The instruction I had (unfortunately I am unable to find these any longer) said that the second partition for Entware should be named "entware"...

So I guess I will deinstall everything, re-partition my USB key with just one partition, and start all over again with reinstalling Diversion, Entware, amtm - followed by Skynet.

Just curious @thelonelycoder, is timestamp added in next release for when we follow Filtered by blocked domains?
No, that remains as barebone as it is. Use one of the other options for more details.

No, that remains as barebone as it is. Use one of the other options for more details.
All others have it (haven't tested by term), why not this one? I thought you just forgot but it's intentional then? I find it more convenient to only monitor what's blocked and with time I can match what happened when. Must not be a lot of code to make it looks like all others. :rolleyes:

All others have it (haven't tested by term), why not this one? I thought you just forgot but it's intentional then? I find it more convenient to only monitor what's blocked and with time I can match what happened when. Must not be a lot of code to make it looks like all others. :rolleyes:

This is actually more code than the other functions have. Let me ponder your suggestion.

Hmm, as it looks like my USB 2.0 stick attached to my RT-AC68U died this morning.
So the system now has lots of messages similar to "kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 3250604".

How to overcome that?
  1. Is just replacing the USB stick with a non-faulty one, followed by a router reboot, enough?
  2. Or do I need to deinstall Diversion and Entware (if that is possible due to the missing storage) an d then reinstall it again after replacing the USB stick?

BTW: Any recommendation for a durable USB stick for Diversion & my Asus router?

Last edited:
Hmm, as it looks like my USB 2.0 stick attached to my RT-AC68U died this morning.
So the system now has lots of messages similar to "kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 3250604".

How to overcome that?
  1. Is just replacing the USB stick with a non-faulty one, followed by a router reboot, enough?
  2. Or do I need to deinstall Diversion and Entware (if that is possible due to the missing storage) an d then reinstall it again after replacing the USB stick?

BTW: Any recommendation for a durable USB stick for Diversion & my Asus router?
Just plug the new device in and run the install command again. This will be a new setup, but there's no need to reformat the /jffs/ partition.

A new stick with just one EXT2 partition (since my old/now defect stick had two separate EXT2 partitions - one for Diversion and a second one for Entware) ?

A new stick with just one EXT2 partition (since my old/now defect stick had two separate EXT2 partitions - one for Diversion and a second one for Entware) ?

Just one is fine. There is currently no need for multiple partitions for diversion to function.

Been running one ext2 partition, plus swap file, for all my scripts (Diversion, pixelserv, skynet, dnscrpyt) - all work just fine.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!