What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I doubt it. My RT-AC86U always runs along the limit of memory. So far this was never a problem as the system handles the freeing just fine.

You are right to assume that your old swap file is no longer present. Or it is being mounted later when the USB device is mounted.

Really pleased to confirm that RAM consumption problem no longer an issue. Sadly I cannot pin down precisely what was causing the problem - but have one major suspect and two minor ones after several re-installs.

My major suspect is the USB drive itself on which Entware and all other add-ons were installed. Errors reported after every manual eject under WebGUI [maybe an issue in a script not completely exiting services running from the USB before dismount?] and sometimes after WebGUI Reboot. Partition and format (ext2/gpt) with MiniTools resulted in "unknown format" reports from disk check within amtm. Switched to format with Paragon Linux for Windows and finally succeeded with what I hope will remain reliable USB.

Minor suspect was Skynet and its integration with Diversion as the RAM consumption had always shot up and not declined after overnight activities with, I assume, blocking file integration? Final suspect (possibly major clue for the better informed members) - pixelserv - which would report over 400k http requests overnight when most network devices not powered on ??? Tightened up dnssec and deployed dnscrypt which I had not done before.

Rock steady for now - so hopped across to Diversion donation site and made a contribution.

Final suspect (possibly major clue for the better informed members) - pixelserv - which would report over 400k http requests overnight when most network devices not powered on ???

When people say pixelserv on this forum, it generally means pixelserv-tls..

So hi..I'm the author of pixelserv-tls and you're running my code for free (literally 24 hrs per day and 7 days per week). I appreciate that..

I'm not clear about your memory issue (didn't follow previous posts) but I could tell you that it won't be caused by pixelserv-tls. Not to be overly proud, I could tell people one thing.. pixelserv-tls is perhaps the best written "script" in terms of performance and resource usage on this forum.

For that matter, I should clarify that pixelserv-tls is not a script but it's like DNSmasq or httpd - a C program that's always running in the background and serving its users from your router. So in terms of your observed high number of requests, you should figure out what devices on your LAN are generating those requests to begin with. You could get more info on how to do that by spending little time on pixelserv-tls' wiki on Github.

In the past, this forum used to be flooded with new ideas and interesting scripts. That trend started its decline one or two years ago. I don't know the exact reason. If I have to make a guess, it perhaps has to do with the trend of a few projects started collecting donations for work.

Don't get me wrong. I support monetary reward for reasonable amount of voluntary work. At the same time, perhaps some people like myself also feel the importance of clarifying credits in the tools used for these "semi-commercial" products.

Take Diversion as an example. It's a user-friendly script (and huge..won't be inappropriate to be called a script-based app..in the domain of installation/configuration plus a few other bells and whistles). It helps noobs and other ppl set up adblock on the router quickly. Under the hood though, it's DNSmasq doing the actual heavy lifting (24 hrs per day 7 days per week) as well as pixelserv-tls if you also use it.

So for proud users of Diversion that you care to mention it in your signature, I would invite these people to also include pixelserv-tls in your tag line. You perhaps should also mention Entware (terrific team and outstanding effort).

When people say pixelserv on this forum, it generally means pixelserv-tls..

So hi..I'm the author of pixelserv-tls and you're running my code for free (literally 24 hrs per day and 7 days per week). I appreciate that..

I'm not clear about your memory issue (didn't follow previous posts) but I could tell you that it won't be caused by pixelserv-tls. Not to be overly proud, I could tell people one thing.. pixelserv-tls is perhaps the best written "script" in terms of performance and resource usage on this forum.

For that matter, I should clarify that pixelserv-tls is not a script but it's like DNSmasq or httpd - a C program that's always running in the background and serving its users from your router. So in terms of your observed high number of requests, you should figure out what devices on your LAN are generating those requests to begin with. You could get more info on how to do that by spending little time on pixelserv-tls' wiki on Github.

In the past, this forum used to be flooded with new ideas and interesting scripts. That trend started its decline one or two years ago. I don't know the exact reason. If I have to make a guess, it perhaps has to do with the trend of a few projects started collecting donations for work.

Don't get me wrong. I support monetary reward for reasonable amount of voluntary work. At the same time, perhaps some people like myself also feel the importance of clarifying credits in the tools used for these "semi-commercial" products.

Take Diversion as an example. It's a user-friendly script (and huge..won't be inappropriate to be called a script-based app..in the domain of installation/configuration plus a few other bells and whistles). It helps noobs and other ppl set up adblock on the router quickly. Under the hood though, it's DNSmasq doing the actual heavy lifting (24 hrs per day 7 days per week) as well as pixelserv-tls if you also use it.

So for proud users of Diversion that you care to mention it in your signature, I would invite these people to also include pixelserv-tls in your tag line. You perhaps should also mention Entware (terrific team and outstanding effort).

Hi kvic,

Many thanks for the personal introduction and fully impressed with your accolades for what is clearly an under-appreciated masterpiece. I have immediately added both Entware and pixelserv-tls to my signature - thanks for the "prompt".

While I have indeed spent a great deal of time in recent weeks on the very Github link you suggested above - I am really pleased that my problem is resolved and all "signature" products [including yours] are working really well.

Oh ... and the pixelserv-tls "issue" was not a complaint about your product - but a pointer to what it was revealing as a problem - hence my comment ..(possibly major clue for the better informed members). The same devices remain connected to my network as before but the http request storming is no more. htop did reveal that pixelserv-tls was, at the time of the issue, consuming an amazing amount of RAM along with DNSmasq.

Congratulations on a superb product ... and more than happy to contribute if you care to provide a donation link. Being an "old codger" with limited time left on the planet ... I'm happy to contribute cash to those who have spent time developing something which saves me a good deal of my time.

Brgds
Kernol

Is it possible to have diversion send an notification through pushbullet as an additional option to sending an email

If yes, I'd like to make that a feature suggestion for consideration

Make sure to whitelist the (www) and non (www) version of the domain.
I feel like some hosts files' authors have personal bias towards some sites. I'm really surprised to know that tenforums.com was blocked completely - that forum is extremely helpful.

Is it possible to have diversion send an notification through pushbullet as an additional option to sending an email

If yes, I'd like to make that a feature suggestion for consideration
I haven't used Pushbullet for years. Is that still a thing? I deleted my account after they removed many of the free features back when it was the new new thing.

hello guys, pardon this noob here. I am trying to install the blocker but which folder in the root directory should I navigate to b4 entering the command?
when trying to enter it from the root directory
i get a " Command 'curl -Os https://diversion.ch/install && sh install' failed with return code 23 and error message

then i tried going into the jffs folder to enter the install command.
I get the welcome msg, and saying that Diversion is not installed on this router. then error msg pops up saying host is not communicating for more than 15 seconds.

may I know what am I doing wrong?

Edit: alright right after this, i tried entering the command in putty and i got the option to install.
but now i am getting error saying no compatible device found :( gotta find out my attached drive

Last edited:
hello guys, pardon this noob here. I am trying to install the blocker but which folder in the root directory should I navigate to b4 entering the command?
i get a " Command 'curl -Os https://diversion.ch/install && sh install' failed with return code 23 and error message

I get the welcome msg, and saying that Diversion is not installed on this router. then error msg pops up saying host is not communicating for more than 15 seconds.

Edit: alright right after this, i tried entering the command in putty and i got the option to install.
but now i am getting error saying no compatible device found :( gotta find out my attached drive
The author says that a small usb drive formatted as ext2 will work, also naming the drive is a good idea as well. Not sure what drive you have and what size and format it is.

https://diversion.ch/diversion/requirements.html

I haven't used Pushbullet for years. Is that still a thing? I deleted my account after they removed many of the free features back when it was the new new thing.
I use it for my flexget alerts when I torrent I know it's not the most feature rich app but it's simple to use

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181110-114635_Pushbullet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181110-114635_Pushbullet.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 346
Well since my last post and changing my blocking file to small+ it has been working great. I even installed Pixelserv-tls and it running great too.
I'll change back to the standard+ blocking file, I hope it'll go well.

Well since my last post and changing my blocking file to small+ it has been working great. I even installed Pixelserv-tls and it running great too.
I'll change back to the standard+ blocking file, I hope it'll go well.
That is what my expectation was. I don’t know what the diversion categories are relative to what they were in absolution, but there was a standard blocklist at one point that was mvps, poyo, and someonewhocares. I would recommend you go no further than that. And certainly nothing from hosts-file.net. As @loveleeyoungae found out, those lists are far too aggressive.

That is what my expectation was. I don’t know what the diversion categories are relative to what they were in absolution, but there was a standard blocklist at one point that was mvps, poyo, and someonewhocares. I would recommend you go no further than that. And certainly nothing from hosts-file.net. As @loveleeyoungae found out, those lists are far too aggressive.

Well I always selected the standard blocking file, my issue was it would start off ok, then a few days in I start getting bad slow downs on webpages and some webpages would not load etc.

I never added anything to the blocking file or do anything else once its up and running.

But anyway, I'm now running the Standard host file with Pixelserv.tls. Seems like its running well for now, I hope it stays like this.

Alright sires, i got the install up and it looks to be working, but should I be seeing placeholders for the Ads if they're blocked?
Diversion is an ad-blocker. It blocks advertisments. A filled in space of "This ad blocked by Diversion and pixelserv-tls" gets rather boring after one view.

Diversion is an ad-blocker. It blocks advertisments. A filled in space of "This ad blocked by Diversion and pixelserv-tls" gets rather boring after one view.

thanks sir for the fast reply.
what i meant to say is.. activating diversion. i am seeing this

Ikn2WNr.png

is it normal and suppose to be like this?

thanks sir for the fast reply.
what i meant to say is.. activating diversion. i am seeing this

Ikn2WNr.png

is it normal and suppose to be like this?
Looks like adding googleads.g.doubleclick.net to the whitelist might help.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!