What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@thelonelycoder Thanks for the program. Works great. Good work.

I have about 900k blocking domains on my secondary blocking file, 60k on my standard file. I have fast switching enabled.

I mainly run the secondary, so in trying to add a domain to the whitelist, I get this:

Code:
 no exact match found in blocking file for
 www.reddit.com
 no need to add it to the whitelist

no near matches found either

www.reddit.com
 was not found in the blocking file or blacklist
 If you add it anyway, it may have no effect unless
 you select a larger blocking file.

The domain will be marked #(forced-entry) and is
 not re-added to the blocking file if you remove it.

Add it to whitelist anyway? [1=Yes 2=No] 1

Do you want to add a comment? [1=Yes 2=No] 2

www.reddit.com  #(forced-entry)
 added to whitelist

After processing the lists, it has no effect. I should add that the domains I enter to the whitelist are in fact in the blocked host list by doing a search within diversion.

Anyone else have this? TIA.

If this isn't the right place to ask, I apologize in advance and will delete my post if asked. I have an 87u running Diversion, been going swimmingly. But I just signed up for SkillShare and none of the video's will load, when I'm on my local network. If I put my MacBook within a VPN they load, or switch my iPhone/iPad over to LTE the videos will load. I have no other add blocking solutions on either of those devices. Anyways, I cannot for the life of me figure out where Skillshare is hosting their videos to put in the whitelist. I've got Chrome reporting every URL hit and unblocked them all to no avail. If I turn off Diversion, I can access Skillshare without issue. Anyways I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Screenshot_2018-12-30 15.46.34_ZF4L3M.jpg Screenshot_2018-12-30 15.48.22_2NzWyB.jpg

View attachment 15646 View attachment 15647 View attachment 15647 View attachment 15646 If this isn't the right place to ask, I apologize in advance and will delete my post if added. I have an 87u running Diversion, been going swimmingly. But I just signed up for SkillShare and none of the video's will load, when I'm on my local network. If I put my MacBook within a VPN they load, or switch my iPhone/iPad over to LTE the videos will load. I have no other add blocking solutions on either of those devices. Anyways, I cannot for the life of me figure out where Skillshare is hosting their videos to put in the whitelist. I've got Chrome reporting every URL hit and unblocked them all to no avail. If I turn off Diversion, I can access Skillshare without issue. Anyways I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
Run Diversion and choose option f to follow the log of blocked domains. Then try to browse your site and see which domains appear in the log. Whitelist the domains you find until the site works again.

Run Diversion and choose option f to follow the log of blocked domains. Then try to browse your site and see which domains appear in the log. Whitelist the domains you find until the site works again.

Oh man that was it! It was brightcove.com, thank you so much! Now I guess I need to go back and remove the other excess crap I added.

@thelonelycoder Thanks for the program. Works great. Good work.

I have about 900k blocking domains on my secondary blocking file, 60k on my standard file. I have fast switching enabled.

I mainly run the secondary, so in trying to add a domain to the whitelist, I get this:

Code:
 no exact match found in blocking file for
 www.reddit.com
 no need to add it to the whitelist

no near matches found either

www.reddit.com
 was not found in the blocking file or blacklist
 If you add it anyway, it may have no effect unless
 you select a larger blocking file.

The domain will be marked #(forced-entry) and is
 not re-added to the blocking file if you remove it.

Add it to whitelist anyway? [1=Yes 2=No] 1

Do you want to add a comment? [1=Yes 2=No] 2

www.reddit.com  #(forced-entry)
 added to whitelist

After processing the lists, it has no effect. I should add that the domains I enter to the whitelist are in fact in the blocked host list by doing a search within diversion.

Anyone else have this? TIA.
The el functions are only run against the primary blocking file. In your case, www.reddit.com is only blocked in the secondary (larger) blocking file and therefore not checked against.
However, adding the domain to the whitelist will remove it from the secondary blocking file next time the update runs or by running it manually in b.

Those that have the alternate blocking file activated, how did it go?

Hi just installed and thought I'd report that it crashed my Router due to duplicate entries in dnsmasq.conf
Code:
 log-async
 log-queries
 log-facility=/opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log
These entries were already in dnsmasq.conf.add thus causing a constant loop when trying to start dsnmasq.

Once I deleted the entries from dnsmsq.conf.add all worked fine.

Maybe possible to add a "read and check"during installation, to see if the entries already exist to prevent similar issues with others (maybe less technical)?

Thanks for making this possible especially with the great UI!

Hi just installed and thought I'd report that it crashed my Router due to duplicate entries in dnsmasq.conf
Code:
 log-async
 log-queries
 log-facility=/opt/var/log/dnsmasq.log
These entries were already in dnsmasq.conf.add thus causing a constant loop when trying to start dsnmasq.

Once I deleted the entries from dnsmsq.conf.add all worked fine.

Maybe possible to add a "read and check"during installation, to see if the entries already exist to prevent similar issues with others (maybe less technical)?

Thanks for making this possible especially with the great UI!
Honestly, these entries in the .add file very unusual and it is the first time I see someone complain about it.
But you are making a good point, maybe a quick check during the install for those would be a good idea.

Reactions: CMc
I'd like to suggest a feature for the 4.1 release: support processing (sub)domains-type blocking lists, i.e. lists that only includes (sub)domains without the 127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0 as in hosts-type.
Example: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Perflyst/PiHoleBlocklist/master/SmartTV.txt

I saw Pi-hole and adblock-for-openwrt support both types of blocking lists. I mean, I don't know if their mechanism would support both types natively, or they would just process and merge lists into their own type. But at least they let users just paste links of blocking lists of those two types, which
- doesn't require users to manually retrieve the lists and perform some "find and replace" to add 127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0 to the lists (which is really troublesome for novice users)
- help receiving updates directly from the original sources.
I think that really help us novice users greatly. So I'd hope that Diversion would be able to do that as well.
Subdomains are already supported, always have and have been in the pre-configured hosts lists for a long time.
What you mean are domain lists only instead of the "127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0 domain.com" pair.
Such lists are usually available to download as hosts file and domain list variant.

I'm not even sure how Pi-hole does it, as their blocking file (gravity.list) is directly added to dnsmasq with the additional hosts directive:
Code:
addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/gravity.list
addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/black.list
addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/local.list
Maybe they use a customized Dnsmasq instance, I have not looked too deep into it.
The gravity.list is a domain only list.

Maybe someone can shed light on how Pi-hole does it.

I have looked into supporting both types of files and at the time I did, my decision was to only support "127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0 domain.com" lists for the simplicity. It is much easier to verify such a list for me than a domain only list. And for it to work, I'd have to add the blocking IP anyway. Replacing 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 is much simpler. And I like things simple as I am a lone coder. Pi-hole has much more coder and brain resources than Diversion does...

If this isn't the right place to ask, I apologize in advance and will delete my post if asked
This is the official Diversion thread. Questions about Diversion belong here. Happy new year to you and all around here.

I have looked into supporting both types of files and at the time I did, my decision was to only support "127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0 domain.com" lists for the simplicity. It is much easier to verify such a list for me than a domain only list. And for it to work, I'd have to add the blocking IP anyway. Replacing 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 is much simpler. And I like things simple as I am a lone coder. Pi-hole has much more coder and brain resources than Diversion does...
Sorry for any confusion as English is not my mother language, and I should have used simpler words.

Alright, forget Pi-hole or Openwrt, I'll try to re-describe the situation simpler. What I mean is I did not suggest that Diversion support domains-only lists natively in real time. I just wanted to suggest that Diversion can detect/recognize domains-only lists for preparing the final list, i.e.:
- A user pastes a link to a domains-only list
- Diversion detects/recognizes that it is a domains-only list
- Diversion then magically adds 127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0/Pixelserv-tls's IP to that domains-only list to turn it into a hosts-type list
- Diversion continues to merge/process so that we still have a final hosts-type list to be used by dnsmasq as usual.

So, with your great scripting skill, I think it would not be a heavy task. I mean, now I don't know how, but I think even I might find a way to adds "127.0.0.1" to a domains-only list (if I am forced to do that). But with the disadvantages I mentioned in the previous post (a user must finds a way to do it and he can't receive updates from original sources automatically), obviously it would be great if the feature is built-in.

Sorry if I have overlooked some things or didn't understand your feelings/point of view of a developer, I just thought what might be a good feature and helpful for your users :)

Anyway, it's nearly midnight here. So Happy New Year to you and everyone!

EDIT: Oh, re-reading your previous reply, I guess what I've just typed already got the answer...

Last edited:
Sorry for any confusion as English is not my mother language, and I should have used simpler words.

Alright, forget Pi-hole or Openwrt, I'll try to re-describe the situation simpler. What I mean is I did not suggest that Diversion support domains-only lists natively in real time. I just wanted to suggest that Diversion can detect/recognize domains-only lists for preparing the final list, i.e.:
- A user pastes a link to a domains-only list
- Diversion detects/recognizes that it is a domains-only list
- Diversion then magically adds 127.0.0.1/0.0.0.0/Pixelserv-tls's IP to that domains-only list to turn it into a hosts-type list
- Diversion continues to merge/process so that we still have a final hosts-type list to be used by dnsmasq as usual.

So, with your great scripting skill, I think it would not be a heavy task. I mean, now I don't know how, but I think even I might find a way to adds "127.0.0.1" to a domains-only list (if I am forced to do that). But with the disadvantages I mentioned in the previous post (a user must finds a way to do it and he can't receive updates from original sources automatically), obviously it would be great if the feature is built-in.

Sorry if I have overlooked some things or didn't understand your feelings/point of view of a developer, I just thought what might be a good feature and helpful for your users :)

Anyway, it's nearly midnight here. So Happy New Year to you and everyone!
We are on the same page. I just repeat my reasoning for not supporting your suggestion:

We are on the same page. I just repeat my reasoning for not supporting your suggestion:

Was going to edit the post, but you were faster. Yeah, re-reading your previous reply, I guess what I've just typed already got the answer...
So, alright, thank you for your explanation. Hope someday you might think about that again when Diversion has become perfect without any big issues :cool:

I was watching the dnsmasq logfile and when I went to exit, Diversion attempted to update. I had some errors and cannot get Diversion to run anymore, although pixelserv seems to be working ok. The error message I get when I try to restart is: /opt/bin/diversion: line 172: syntax error: unexpected end of file (expecting ";;")

Full output here: https://pastebin.com/in2pp5Tf

Any ideas?

EDIT: Looking at the output again, I just realized I hit "3" not "e". Reinstall maybe?

I was watching the dnsmasq logfile and when I went to exit, Diversion attempted to update. I had some errors and cannot get Diversion to run anymore, although pixelserv seems to be working ok. The error message I get when I try to restart is: /opt/bin/diversion: line 172: syntax error: unexpected end of file (expecting ";;")

Full output here: https://pastebin.com/in2pp5Tf

Any ideas?

EDIT: Looking at the output again, I just realized I hit "3" not "e". Reinstall maybe?
Just copy/paste the install command from the website, it'll fix your error, I hope.

Just upgraded to Diversion.

FYI - Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but when the JFFS scripts are migrated to /old-jffs_scripts/, they do not copy existing content of the scripts into the new scrips. In my case, the post-mount script had a sleep timer before enabling swap. Initially, I received errors in the log but then after some investigation I noticed the memory was low since swap had not been enabled.

Just upgraded to Diversion.

FYI - Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but when the JFFS scripts are migrated to /old-jffs_scripts/, they do not copy existing content of the scripts into the new scrips. In my case, the post-mount script had a sleep timer before enabling swap. Initially, I received errors in the log but then after some investigation I noticed the memory was low since swap had not been enabled.
Your swap code must have been nested into that sleep timer or else the Diversion installer would have found it.
Can you post the content of the old post-mount?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!