What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That looks good. Do you see any errors for the USB device in the Syslog when the router reboots?
Sorry, for some reason I stopped getting notifications for the thread, but to answer your question - no, it doesn't appear so -
Code:
cat /jffs/syslog-1 | grep mount
or
Code:
cat /jffs/syslog-1 | grep /mnt/sda
doesn't return anything.

Thanks for adding the unmount function. Tested it on my AX88U and it works as expected. All the other changes seem to work fine too.

Disclaimer. Complete script noob. In addition to my first time using scripts today was my first time using SSH.

I apologize if this question has been previously covered or should be in a different thread. VPN was too short of a search term and I had no idea what else to search. I read through the most recent 5 pages of this thread but didn't see anything helpful on my issue.

I successfully installed Diversion and it is working perfectly for the devices on my network. My secondary goal was to run an openvpn server on my router and connect to it while away to take advantage of Diversion. This may or may not be possible as I am seeing ads when connected via the vpn server. I didn't see anything on the Diversion FAQ discussing this. The openvpn app on my phone is set to use the dns from the vpn server. Thanks for any assistance on this issue.

Extra credit questions: After getting everything up and running on a ext2 formatted flash drive I came across some posts that suggested using ext4 with journaling on. 1.) Should I reformat ext4? 2.) Do I need to uninstall Diversion Standard (only thing installed) first or can I just reformat and install Diversion again? 3.) Do I need to browse 192.168.1.2/ca.crt again after the reinstall to update the certs?

Edit: I continued to read through the thread and 260 posts later I found the answer to the vpn question in posts #341 & 343.

Last edited:
My secondary goal was to run an openvpn server on my router and connect to it while away to take advantage of Diversion. This may or may not be possible as I am seeing ads when connected via the vpn server. I didn't see anything on the Diversion FAQ discussing this. The openvpn app on my phone is set to use the dns from the vpn server. Thanks for any assistance on this issue.

This works fine - I connect to my 86U remotely all the time (though using the IPSec server, not OpenVPN), and don't see ads. The only relevant config details I know of are:
  • LAN - DHCP Server should be blank. If you want to specify DNS, do it in the WAN settings.
  • In the IPSec server config, no DNS is specified either.
As far as I'm aware, IPSec is faster and more secure than OpenVPN, thanks to our routers' support for hardware encryption, so you might want to try it.

Beta downloaded and working fine.

Is the main screen el list display new? Shows how many entries I have, never noticed it before!

Beta downloaded and working fine.

Is the main screen el list display new? Shows how many entries I have, never noticed it before!
Yes, as documented in the announcement/release notes...

Guess I must’ve glazed over it, been following the whole usb unmount thing too closely :D.

Anyways, a nice addition.

Just installed the beta, the auto-update log showed what I assume is an error for "Log facility"
309375y.jpg
I'm not sure how significant this is. Unfortunately rather than leave things alone in case any troubleshooting was required, I uninstalled and re-installed Diversion then ran the beta-installer again, and this time it came up green for Log facility. So this report probably isn't much use, sorry, but I thought I'd better mention it anyway.

Just installed the beta, the auto-update log showed what I assume is an error for "Log facility"
309375y.jpg
I'm not sure how significant this is. Unfortunately rather than leave things alone in case any troubleshooting was required, I uninstalled and re-installed Diversion then ran the beta-installer again, and this time it came up green for Log facility. So this report probably isn't much use, sorry, but I thought I'd better mention it anyway.
This really should work, I make sure that the Dnsmasq entries are populated before I query for them. But I'll check the code again.

Sorry, for some reason I stopped getting notifications for the thread, but to answer your question - no, it doesn't appear so -
Code:
cat /jffs/syslog-1 | grep mount
or
Code:
cat /jffs/syslog-1 | grep /mnt/sda
doesn't return anything.
It's better to look at the Syslog in the Router UI. Look for either Diversion messages or USB errors.

Hi,

Could someone share their experience...I moved from AB-Solution (which blocked everything) to Diversion. Nothing seems to work. Now all of the sudden, all the local single females are dying to meet me. The pressure is on. I am currently running ASUS AC2900 latest Merlin build / High speed USB 3. I have installed pixelserv alongside with Diversion. I setup 192.168.50.3 for the pixel server. Great concept, I really like AB-Solution, but this one is a bit interesting to work with. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,

Now all of the sudden, all the local single females are dying to meet me. The pressure is on. .
You are really humorous :D Anyway, I think you'd better reinstall Diversion from scratch instead of upgrading. And choose a good filters/blocking list.

You are really humorous :D Anyway, I think you'd better reinstall Diversion from scratch instead of upgrading. And choose a good filters/blocking list.
=p I did do a fresh install. This is the new router. My previous one running AB-Solution was the AC3200. I wanted more ram. Anyway...what list do I choose from...should I just download the list from ublock origin and upload it on there? I am open to suggestions. I cannot handle all these local single women. My wife gets jealous.

Last edited:
A stupid question. I just got a new USB drive, do I re-install it as if a new installation?

Thanks
If you have a Linux box, you could copy the content of the old drive to the new, label it the same, plug it into the router and it'll work.
If not, just plug the new drive in and reinstall. No need to wipe the /jffs/ partition on the router for that.

=p I did do a fresh install. This is the new router. My previous one running AB-Solution was the AC3200. I wanted more ram. Anyway...what list do I choose from...should I just download the list from ublock origin and upload it on there? I am open to suggestions. I cannot handle all these local single women. My wife gets jealous.
@loveleeyoungae meant to select a good list from the pre-set blocking lists in b.
Filter lists from ublock or Adblock Plus DO NOT work. They never did and never will. Only hosts files work. See the website for what's working, the same limitation applies for Diversion as it did for AB-Solution.

As for your not-working ad-blocking, use the f function to see if anything gets blocked.

I successfully installed Diversion and it is working perfectly for the devices on my network. My secondary goal was to run an openvpn server on my router and connect to it while away to take advantage of Diversion. This may or may not be possible as I am seeing ads when connected via the vpn server. I didn't see anything on the Diversion FAQ discussing this. The openvpn app on my phone is set to use the dns from the vpn server. Thanks for any assistance on this issue.
I've added the required OpenVPN Server settings to the FAQ.

Just starting noticing an error message when I try to click on a Sponsored link at the top of the results page. For instance, search for "Purina One dog food" and you'll get 4 or 5 choices from Chewy.com and Amazon trying to sell you their food. If I click on the Chewy item I get the following error message from Google Chrome:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.googleleadservices.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!