What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you do a disk check on your USB drive? Looks like something is corrupted. If there is nothing wrong with the file system try to reinstall diversion again.
Yes, finally did that to avoid wasting more time. Hopefully @thelonelycoder made it extremely easy

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Hi everyone!

I just installed Diversion on my new ASUS RT-AC86U running the latest Merlin FW.
So far, I'm really amazed by the app and its functionality and it kinda saved my buy of that router.

The last thing I'm trying to set up now is an OpenVPN Server on TCP Port 443.
I've learned that pixelserv-tls is using that port which is why I can't run the VPN server straight out of the box.
There'd be a port "sharing" feature though in OpenVPN that allows you to reroute non openvpn traffic to a different port.
That again would need the HTTPS server listening to that different port.

Since I'm rather new to all this, I wasn't successful in finding a way to achieve that yet. Is there a way to get there?

Thx a lot for your amazing work
Chrulio

Hi everyone!

I just installed Diversion on my new ASUS RT-AC86U running the latest Merlin FW.
So far, I'm really amazed by the app and its functionality and it kinda saved my buy of that router.

The last thing I'm trying to set up now is an OpenVPN Server on TCP Port 443.
I've learned that pixelserv-tls is using that port which is why I can't run the VPN server straight out of the box.
There'd be a port "sharing" feature though in OpenVPN that allows you to reroute non openvpn traffic to a different port.
That again would need the HTTPS server listening to that different port.

Since I'm rather new to all this, I wasn't successful in finding a way to achieve that yet. Is there a way to get there?

Thx a lot for your amazing work
Chrulio

Yes, elorimer has solved that one for you, and I can guarantee it’s well tried and tested:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...bserver-for-adblock.26114/page-48#post-366826

So in mine I have:

local removedfromview.asuscomm.com
# OpenVPN will only listen on the WAN side, and pixelserv only on the LAN side, thereby preventing conflict if both pixelserv and OpenVPN servers listen on the same port (443)

The # comment is to remind me why it’s there!

And welcome to the forum, too.

Last edited:
Yes, elorimer has solved that one for you, and I can guarantee it’s well tried and tested:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/p...bserver-for-adblock.26114/page-48#post-366826

So in mine I have:

local removedfromview.asuscomm.com
# OpenVPN will only listen on the WAN side, and pixelserv only on the LAN side, thereby preventing conflict if both pixelserv and OpenVPN servers listen on the same port (443)

The # comment is to remind me why it’s there!

And welcome to the forum, too.

Cheers mates, that saved me a lot of time! Darn I was close, didn't make it to try the WAN IP... :rolleyes:
Thanks to you guys I made it to the point where I can start to love my setup now. :)
Thanks again and keep the great work up! ;):D
Chrulio

Hi All

Diversion is great.

With latest diversion extension ( even on earlier version) on ASUS Merlin 384.7_2 on AC68P, I see that the free RAM dwindles down to 0 within 2 weeks.The router at the point of no memory stops working and needs a reboot.

Disabling the extension stabilizes the free memory to 110 MB.

I re-enabled the extension yesterday and the free memory is already down to 90MB from 110MB.

Is there anything that I can collect to help understand this better? Perhaps like top output?

Thank you for your time.

Hi All

Diversion is great.

With latest diversion extension ( even on earlier version) on ASUS Merlin 384.7_2 on AC68P, I see that the free RAM dwindles down to 0 within 2 weeks.The router at the point of no memory stops working and needs a reboot.

I re-enabled the extension yesterday and the free memory is already down to 90MB from 110MB.

Is there anything that I can collect to help understand this better? Perhaps like top output?

Thank you for your time.
A couple of things to try:
  1. Add a swap file;
  2. Use a smaller blocking file; or
  3. Occasionally reboot the router.

Hi All

Diversion is great.

Thank you for your time.
First make sure you understand Linux memory management.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...erlin-terminal-menu.42415/page-31#post-467500

Here is my solution to that issue.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-9-is-now-available.54843/page-23#post-467538

Hi All

Diversion is great.

Thank you for your time.

Are you using amtm also? have you used it to create a swap file on your USB stick?

The RMerlin firmware you are using is a little outdated. I would recommend updating to 384.9 followed by a reset to factory defaults and a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. The reset is highly recommended if you haven't performed one very recently.

See my signature for links to get your network to a known/good state before trying to troubleshoot a bug that may be of your own doing.

Hi All

Diversion is great.

Thank you for your time.
I have htop installed. You can sort by percent memory used by process.
Overall memory stats:
Code:
# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         904148 kB
MemFree:          180088 kB
MemAvailable:     333336 kB
Buffers:           16120 kB
Cached:           174360 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:           242292 kB
Inactive:          49440 kB
Active(anon):      84584 kB
Inactive(anon):    19576 kB
Active(file):     157708 kB
Inactive(file):    29864 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
SwapTotal:       1047888 kB
SwapFree:        1047888 kB
Dirty:                 8 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:        101248 kB
Mapped:            20424 kB
Shmem:              2912 kB
Slab:             346468 kB
SReclaimable:      33752 kB
SUnreclaim:       312716 kB
KernelStack:        2704 kB
PageTables:         1768 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:     1499960 kB
Committed_AS:     232804 kB
VmallocTotal:   260046784 kB
VmallocUsed:      119172 kB
VmallocChunk:   259851284 kB

Are you using amtm also? have you used it to create a swap file on your USB stick?

The RMerlin firmware you are using is a little outdated. I would recommend updating to 384.9 followed by a reset to factory defaults and a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP. The reset is highly recommended if you haven't performed one very recently.

See my signature for links to get your network to a known/good state before trying to troubleshoot a bug that may be of your own doing.

Thanks for your response and advise. I will get amtm and also try reset this in the weekend.

I have htop installed. You can sort by percent memory used by process.
Overall memory stats:
Code:
# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         904148 kB
MemFree:          180088 kB
MemAvailable:     333336 kB
Buffers:           16120 kB
Cached:           174360 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:           242292 kB
Inactive:          49440 kB
Active(anon):      84584 kB
Inactive(anon):    19576 kB
Active(file):     157708 kB
Inactive(file):    29864 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
SwapTotal:       1047888 kB
SwapFree:        1047888 kB
Dirty:                 8 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:        101248 kB
Mapped:            20424 kB
Shmem:              2912 kB
Slab:             346468 kB
SReclaimable:      33752 kB
SUnreclaim:       312716 kB
KernelStack:        2704 kB
PageTables:         1768 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:     1499960 kB
Committed_AS:     232804 kB
VmallocTotal:   260046784 kB
VmallocUsed:      119172 kB
VmallocChunk:   259851284 kB

Thank you. Will try to get it installed.

Thank you for the response. Reason I had to disable diversion to test this was because every device in my house lost connectivity. It was not just a httpd issue.
If you use amtm for swap, it will create the swap file in the root directory of the entware filesystem in the entware partition of your USB drive.
If you had used amtm to initialize your USB drive, it would all be one partition. However, if you ever re-initialize your USB drive in the future, I emphatically recommend limiting the size of your Entware partition to no larger than 3 GB and to have one or more other partitions for Samba, etc.

If you use amtm for swap, it will create the swap file in the root directory of the entware filesystem in the entware partition of your USB drive.
If you had used amtm to initialize your USB drive, it would all be one partition. However, if you ever re-initialize your USB drive in the future, I emphatically recommend limiting the size of your Entware partition to no larger than 3 GB and to have one or more other partitions for Samba, etc.

I don't think amtm gives us that possibility to state the size of the Entware partition?

Thanks for your response and advise. I will get amtm and also try reset this in the weekend.

EmeraldDeer has a good point; if you do decide to fully reset your router, it is a good idea to clear away the jffs partition too (use the 'format on next reboot' option), install amtm and then format the USB stick, create a swap file, and install Diversion Standard (which installs Entware and pixelserv-tls).

For the format I would suggest Ext4 with journalling and myself, I use a 2GB swapfile.

Ah ok. I am thinking for doing the following hope it makes sense?
1. Uninstall diversion
2.use amtm to reintialize the USB partition first because last time I manually created a 16GB ext2 partition on my 32 GB stick.
3. Create swap file with amtm.
4. Reinstall diversion

If none of the above works then a reset after applying latest Merlin FW.

Thanks again for you time.

I don't think amtm gives us that possibility to state the size of the Entware partition?
You are correct. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard on a Windows PC to partition and create journaled ext4 filesystems before I installed amtm. Amtm came along and just used the first partition filesystem.
Alternatively, you could do it on the router using the FAQ post from @Zonkd

You are correct. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard on a Windows PC to partition and create journaled ext4 filesystems before I installed amtm. Amtm came along and just used the first partition filesystem.
Alternatively, you could do it on the router using the FAQ post from @Zonkd
Remember amtm resides fully in /jffs, otherwise it could not format a USB without deleting itself. o_O

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!