What's new

DLNA/UPnP subtitle support?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Piaer

New Around Here
Does Asuswrt-Merlin Media Server support sending subtitles to the device? I can't make it work. The file and device is fine, subtitles worked DDWRT. Maybe I am missing something or there's no support for subtitles on asuswrt/Merlin?

What router are you running? What firmware, specifically?

What optional features and scripts, if any have you enabled or added from the defaults?

After flashing RMerlin firmware onto your router, was a full M&M Config performed without using saved config files to setup the router again?

Please see my signature below for further details on getting your router to a good/known state with the M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides.

Router: RT-AC68U
Current soft: Asuswrt Merlin 384.14_2
Yes, I have followed M&M procedure
No optional features and scripts. I haven't touched any options bseides those regarding USB Servers Center.

My guess is that Asus soft doesn't send the subtitles but I would be glad if someone could confirm that.

Was the M&M Config performed after flashing current firmware indicated, and, what did you change in USB Servers Center? :)

Hello community.

Happy holidays.

Firstly , I hope i am not breaking any forum rule by posting in this thread my case (which is basically the thread's topic as described, namely my asuswrt merlin powered router minidlna does not stream the external srt subs). If i do, @admins please let me know and i will open a new thread

Second

Some technical details:
Router: RT-AC66U B1
Software: AsusWRT Merlin 386.3_2

The router was not used prior flashing it the AsusWRT firmware
I am using the pre-built minidlna server for streaming media (The mediaserver that can be configured from the USB Application section).

the current conf file is:

Code:
# original lines
network_interface=br0
port=8200
friendly_name=HUND
db_dir=/tmp/mnt/VERBATIM_HD/.minidlna
enable_tivo=no
strict_dlna=no
inotify=yes
notify_interval=600
album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg
presentation_url=http://192.168.100.1:80/
media_dir=/mnt/VERBATIM_HD
serial=f0:2f:74:03:50:e0
uuid=4d696e69-444c-164e-9d41-f02f740350e0
model_number=386.3
force_sort_criteria=+upnp:class,+upnp:originalTrackNumber,+dc:title

#my lines
enable_subtitles=yes
wide_links=yes

The only change i'e did was to add the last two lines to the minidlna.conf file:

enable_subtitles=yes
wide_links=yes

I've also rebuilt the database after adding the last two lines

Still, the minidlna server is not streaming the external subtitltes available in the same folder (same filenames for video file and subtitles file too).
I wonder if you spot anything that you know as to be the cause of this issue. Also please let me know if I need to add further details

Thank you

Best regards
a.

thank you for the hint. I've checked the DB and indeed it is indexing well the properly named subtitle files. So, assuming it's a client relate oddity i've made a trip to the other room and i've tested the solution and the LG smart tv is displaying well the subtitles. However, the VLC player on my laptop does not. The same VLC player is actually displaying well the subtitles shared by my local PC. Which makes the puzzled even worse :D However the main problem was the TV and at least that part is solved. Many thanks for your quick intervention and guidance. Have a great day ahead and a great NYE there soon

However, the VLC player on my laptop does not.
Its an issue with VLC. On my end, VLC won't play SRT files when connected using UPnP media server with Asus-Merlin nor will it play SRT files when connected to the Plex DLNA media server. VLC direct to the file using SMB no problems playing SRT files from either Asus-Merlin or from the NAS running the Plex server. Other devices like a Roku do not have an issue playing SRT files from the Asus-Merlin UPnP media server.

VLC will however play subtitles that are embedded into media files (not stand alone SRT files) from the Plex DLNA media server (didn't test it on Asus-Merlin). So it couldn't hurt to give that a try if you need subtitles when using the Asus-Merlin UPnP media server and see if it works when using VLC's UPnP/DLNA media server connection.

Last edited:
ok then. It's all about VLC, I am glad that at least the TV is working properly. That was my main target (just to avoid the cable mess that follows sharing the media content from the laptop via hdmi). My thanks to you all for the fast guidance / knowledge sharing.