What's new

DNS suddenly returns 10.0.0.1 for any request, even bypassing the router - (AC86U, 386.5.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

formulabuild

New Around Here
I had 386.4.something for several months and everything was fine.

The two days ago, I lost Internet connectivity, only to realize that no, just every DNS request was returning 10.0.0.1

My network using 192.168.0.x and I don't see any references to 10.0.0.x anywhere on it.

The router was configured to use CloudFlare when this started, I have tried my ISPs default routers, Google, etc

A DNS server inside my network is also seeing 10.0.0.1 for any requests it tries to resolve

nslookup returns 10.0.0.1 regardless of the server I request from.

I do not have this issue when I plug directly into the cable modem.

I turned on DNS filter and everything started working. Except now I randomly can' t get to sites because DNSFilter is blocking them.

Turning off DNS filter gets every request returned with 10.0.0.1

I updated to 386.5.2 and powercycled/rebooted etc.

Ok, I briefly had TMobile Internet over a year ago and had DualWAN configured. I just saw DNS Query was still on and pointing to microsoft.com. Disabling that, I still see internet disconnected.

Ok, I briefly had TMobile Internet over a year ago and had DualWAN configured. I just saw DNS Query was still on and pointing to microsoft.com. Disabling that, I still see internet disconnected.
Reset it to the original, valid values.

I am so glad to have found this. I had the exact same issue. In times of DNS failure, I have learnt to stay calm and start building the house of cards from scratch.

The crazy part is this (all DNS requests returning 10.0.0.1) started suddenly on 386.4. I went to 386.5 to try to fix it.
I have corrected my previous post. This DNS behaviour change came in with 386.4. It was endlessly discussed in the beta and release threads at the time.