What's new

Do i need a 4x4 stream router if i want to maximise bandwidth betwen two 2x2 devices ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soulbadguy

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,
I have both desktop (with AX211) and VR headset with 6E. The router will be in direct line of sight of both devices.
If my goal is to maximize the bandwidth between the two devices, do i need a 4x4 router or 2x2 should be enough?
Thanks

You don't need a 4x4 router, but the higher MIMO config generally helps clients (of any config) grab onto signals at further distances and through walls.

If you're in LoS, a 2x2 router should work just fine. 160mhz capability will also help for latency/max throughput... Should improve VR experience, especially with 6ghz spectrum.

Last edited:
You don't need a 4x4 router, but the higher MIMO config generally helps clients (of any config) grab onto signals at further distances and through walls.

If you're in LoS, a 2x2 router should work just fine. 160mhz capability will also help for latency/max throughput... Should improve VR experience, especially with 6ghz spectrum.

Thanks for the reply.
Just to make sure i understand, are you saying that 2x2 bandwith should be enough for VR or that a 4x4 configuration and the 2x2 would provide the same bandwidth ?

Thanks for the reply.
Just to make sure i understand, are you saying that 2x2 bandwith should be enough for VR or that a 4x4 configuration and the 2x2 would provide the same bandwidth ?

The bandwidth depends on your specific VR client. A 2x2 client will work the same way on a 2x2 router as it does on a 4x4 router, except the 4x4 router should do better for general WIFI throughout a home (distance/walls). There are exceptions and variance between specific products.

A 4x4 router also has more potential once every client is on AX/BE via MU-MIMO, but were a far off away from that reality and I doubt it will make a difference long term.. Youll be on a different generation router by then.

If you plan on using 6Ghz router/client, there will likely be no interference from neighbors given range constraints and limited use of 6ghz in general.

I assume youre eying a triband 2x2 model with 6Ghz capability?

The bandwidth depends on your specific VR client. A 2x2 client will work the same way on a 2x2 router as it does on a 4x4 router, except the 4x4 router should do better for general WIFI throughout a home (distance/walls). There are exceptions and variance between specific products.

I though that using a 2x2 router both devices would be sharing the available airtime, effectively halving the total bandwith. Do i have it wrong ?
In my case, in addition to basic VR, i would also be streaming a collection development assets and other telemetry data back and forth. Hence bandwith/latency are my main concern.

A 4x4 router also has more potential once every client is on AX/BE via MU-MIMO, but were a far off away from that reality and I doubt it will make a difference long term.. Youll be on a different generation router by then.

If you plan on using 6Ghz router/client, there will likely be no interference from neighbors given range constraints and limited use of 6ghz in general.

I assume youre eying a triband 2x2 model with 6Ghz capability?

I haven't decided yet. I already have an AC router (asus AC3100) which is good enough for my basic (non VR usage). So my new router will only be for the VR to pc connection, and will likely what ever is the most stable and at reasonable price.

While we are on the subject would the router CPU be an important factor here ? or any reasonable CPU would do.

The best setup is wired PC to the router and wireless VR set. Both wireless will share the bandwidth with increased latency.

I though that using a 2x2 router both devices would be sharing the available airtime, effectively halving the total bandwith. Do i have it wrong ?
In my case, in addition to basic VR, i would also be streaming a collection development assets and other telemetry data back and forth. Hence bandwith/latency are my main concern.

I haven't decided yet. I already have an AC router (asus AC3100) which is good enough for my basic (non VR usage). So my new router will only be for the VR to pc connection, and will likely what ever is the most stable and at reasonable price.

While we are on the subject would the router CPU be an important factor here ? or any reasonable CPU would do.

The client has to be MU-MIMO capable for that matter. If a client that doesn't support MU-MIMO is active, it nullifies any real advantage.. And that is reference to older Qualcomm Wave 2 hardware. I don't think it ever worked properly on Broadcom.. If anyone wants to correct me on that matter.

A 2x2 router performs identical to a 4x4 router assuming the client is 2x2 and uses the same capable bonding be it 160hz or 80mhz. 4x4 and 8x8 are promoted for MU-MIMO and more so "range advantages" generally speaking.

160mhz will give you lowest possible latency over WIFI assuming the DFS channels aren't a problem for your region on 5G.

6ghz should work without issue for these type of products. Supports 160mhz bonding natively.

As for CPU, shouldn't really matter.. Entry SoCs and higher end radios have internal CPU's that handle everything WIFI. There are exceptions of course.. but they're more niche products.

The client has to be MU-MIMO capable for that matter. If a client that doesn't support MU-MIMO is active, it nullifies any real advantage.. And that is reference to older Qualcomm Wave 2 hardware. I don't think it ever worked properly on Broadcom.. If anyone wants to correct me on that matter.

A 2x2 router performs identical to a 4x4 router assuming the client is 2x2 and uses the same capable bonding be it 160hz or 80mhz. 4x4 and 8x8 are promoted for MU-MIMO and more so "range advantages" generally speaking.

160mhz will give you lowest possible latency over WIFI assuming the DFS channels aren't a problem for your region on 5G.

6ghz should work without issue for these type of products. Supports 160mhz bonding natively.

As for CPU, shouldn't really matter.. Entry SoCs and high end radios have internal CPU's that handle everything WIFI. There are exceptions of course.. but they're more niche products.

Thanks a bunch.

Any recommendations for a router. I am usually an asus guys, but i was thinking about trying a tp-link since they look to be quite a bit cheaper

I would definitely try TP-Link Archer AXE75 first. It's currently $160 on Amazon and the feedback is good. If it serves well the purpose - why not? If it doesn't - send it back to Amazon and look for something else. All Asus and Netgear AXE routers are way more expensive.

I don't like recommending routers, but that AXE75 doesn't look too terrible assuming theres no issues. Note: doesn't have a USB port for transfer/storage capability.

Actually has gen 2 BCM hardware. 6756 (2x2 + 2x2 Quad SoC) + 6705 (2x2) config. 6705 should be wired for 2.4G since it doesn't support 160mhz bonding.. 5G and 6G are SoC based.

I think the AX86S is solid if you can find a router to trade into best buy.. $153 USD + Tax. (assuming you live in US)

Lacks 6ghz though.

If you needed range performance on 5G, I would recommend trying multiple routers. Theres nothing I could really suggest outside of higher MIMO designs. WIFI is too RNG per environment.

Last edited:
Another option is put 1 on 5ghz and the other on 6ghz and then they have independent radios to use.

Whether or not your router has that option is a different story since most of them skimp out on the HW side and let you do either/or but not both.

Getting an AP that can do it would be the cheapest option as you just plug it into your router and configure it as such for independent bands per SSID or let it be smart and tell your devices what to use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!