What's new

DOCSIS + Wifi6 MESH solution?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marko Polo

I am seeking an upgrade for my old Netgear C6300 router, it is pretty outdated in technology (DOCSIS 3.0 instead of 3.1) and on top of that it does not cover all my rooms, so I decided to go into Mesh. I have a pretty petty 3000 sq ft house.
I have read several threads here, and I see there are multiple positive and negative reviews about Orbi line and Asus ZenWifi. But before we speak about vendors let's discuss the configuration itself.
Now I have modem + router in single unit, but if setting up Mesh it's no longer be the case. Will the separate modem (probably from another vendor) affect the whole solution connectivity and I should stick to full-scaled solution like Orbi? Or it doesn't matter and I can buy DOCSIS modem and then add as many routers/satellites as I want?

The reason I am asking this is that integrated Mesh solutions like Orbi with 2 or 3 units cost way more than separate routers/modems. Does this integration worth it or I can build network by pieces and forget that marketing fluff?

Thanks for the advices.

P.S. I'm on Spectrum 300Mbit plan.

What does a 'petty 3,000 SqFt' home mean? Is that on a single floor? Multiple 3,000 SqFt floors? Multiple floors that in total are 3,000 SqFt? What type of construction are the walls/floors?

A single, well-placed RT-AX86U or a GT-AX6000 (the suggested option today) should easily cover that space (single floor, or multiple floors with the same total SqFt).

Orbi isn't a full-scale solution. It is simply Netgear's version of Asus' AiMesh. And in total, I would argue an inferior one, when all aspects are considered.

What does a 'petty 3,000 SqFt' home mean? Is that on a single floor? Multiple 3,000 SqFt floors? Multiple floors that in total are 3,000 SqFt? What type of construction are the walls/floors?
it is single floor, but the floor plan is somewhat tricky and the signal doesn't reach good to the garage and distant rooms. The walls are neither thick and nor thin, I'd rather say they are regular.

A single, well-placed RT-AX86U or a GT-AX6000
Asus AX6000 costs the same as the 3-pack Orbi, it's not cheap. I am quite sure that 3 different pieces in different spots are better than single unit for the same price. Am I wrong?
And my question about DOCSIS modem stays valid anyway, AX6000 has no built-in modem.

I am seeking an upgrade for my old Netgear C6300 router, it is pretty outdated in technology (DOCSIS 3.0 instead of 3.1) and on top of that it does not cover all my rooms, so I decided to go into Mesh. I have a pretty petty 3000 sq ft house.
I have read several threads here, and I see there are multiple positive and negative reviews about Orbi line and Asus ZenWifi. But before we speak about vendors let's discuss the configuration itself.
Now I have modem + router in single unit, but if setting up Mesh it's no longer be the case. Will the separate modem (probably from another vendor) affect the whole solution connectivity and I should stick to full-scaled solution like Orbi? Or it doesn't matter and I can buy DOCSIS modem and then add as many routers/satellites as I want?

The reason I am asking this is that integrated Mesh solutions like Orbi with 2 or 3 units cost way more than separate routers/modems. Does this integration worth it or I can build network by pieces and forget that marketing fluff?

Thanks for the advices.

P.S. I'm on Spectrum 300Mbit plan.

A separate cable modem is best... plug it in and forget it. Then buy/integrate any other network equipment you need.

Spectrum will provide you a free, current DOCSIS3.1 cable modem such as the Technicolor D3.1 2.5G eMTA Cable Modem ET2251... also ask for the accessory cable kit. Don't let them give you a gateway with modem/router/AP all in one box... this is going in the wrong direction and only complicates owning your own network. If necessary, buy your own cable modem that is listed on their approved modem list, Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network | Spectrum Support

If you go with ASUS AiMesh, you can install one AIO wireless router and see how the coverage is. If you need more coverage, you can add a second router/node... I doubt you will need more than two APs.

OE

Last edited:
If you go with ASUS AiMesh, you can install one AIO wireless router and see how the coverage is. If you need more coverage, you can add a second router/node... I doubt you will need more than two APs.
thank you, that makes sense. And if I go with Asus, which model is the most up to date? XT12?

XT8 and XT12 are priced quite similar on Amazon with very slight difference. What to choose when?

thank you, that makes sense. And if I go with Asus, which model is the most up to date? XT12?

XT8 and XT12 are priced quite similar on Amazon with very slight difference. What to choose when?

Is your 3000sf all on one level or across several levels?

Roughly where will the modem and router/root node be located? And where relative to your outdoor living area/deck/patio?

If you have two APs/nodes, can you wire them together? Or will you need wireless backhaul?

OE

If you have two APs/nodes, can you wire them together? Or will you need wireless backhaul?
most probably I will go wireless backhaul.
Is your 3000sf all on one level or across several levels?
one-level
Roughly where will the modem and router/root node be located? And where relative to your outdoor living area/deck/patio?
very roughly this is my floorplan and the router should be located at the living room end wall
Untitled.png

most probably I will go wireless backhaul.

one-level

very roughly this is my floorplan and the router should be located at the living room end wall
View attachment 44905

The right one wireless router might cover most of that... external antennas may matter. Otherwise, add one node at the other end, perhaps in an office/study for wired clients.

Real fireplace masonry can attenuate WiFi... try to locate the router offset from that to get penetration beyond.

Now that you have posted a clear plan, I would wait for others here to comment on candidate equipment. Some actual ZEN users may offer more insight about ZEN models than non-ZEN users.

If wireless backhaul, you should consider tri-band equipment for a dedicated band for the backhaul. Or if the house is wired for coax, I'm finding that MoCA 2.5 at 2.5Gbps makes a good wired backhaul (ideally, the DOCSIS3.1 signaling should not share the same coax).

OE

Last edited:
Now in Guest Suites and in the garage I experience very bad connectivity, on veranda it's not very good either.

The current WiFi, kitchen masses, and distance can be affecting the guest suites. A node in the middle guest suit would clear that up and is still far enough from the node at the fireplace... that's the 3000sf on one level working for you. Too much WiFi too close is not helpful.

The double pane glass can be affecting the outside areas. Dense materials attentuate WiFi... even more humid air will reduce outside coverage... dry winter air with leaves off offers best range when you are out walking around... even better with snow on the ground.

OE

The double pane glass can be affecting the outside areas. Dense materials attentuate WiFi... even more humid air will reduce outside coverage... dry winter air with leaves off offers best range when you are out walking around.
Yes, I knew the nuances matter, but putting aside such niceties, let's assume the air in all the compartments is of the same humidity and there is no very glassy surfaces. Let's generalize the question a bit: how many AP pieces I need for such an area? Router and 1 satellite? Router and 2 satellites? 2 routers will be better?

Yes, I knew the nuances matter, but putting aside such niceties, let's assume the air in all the compartments is of the same humidity and there is no very glassy surfaces. Let's generalize the question a bit: how many AP pieces I need for such an area? Router and 1 satellite? Router and 2 satellites? 2 routers will be better?

I've already suggested one, maybe two APs... with AiMesh standalone, that's a router/root node and maybe a second router installed as a node... with ZEN systems (prepackaged AiMesh), that's a 2-piece package (either piece can be router/node) and make sure you can buy a separate piece in case you need it to fix a broken piece or to add a second node. I know... more nuance. :)

If you don't like nuance... order something and try it and return it, if you don't like it. I prefer nuance.

OE

Thank you so much for your effort, I appreciate that. Yes, I like nuances, but I prefer trial and error method rather than assuming.
And regarding positioning of those two pieces what whould be the best place to cover as much area as possible? the side walls, the large walls, maybe in the corners? or maybe not living room at all?

Thank you so much for your effort, I appreciate that. Yes, I like nuances, but I prefer trial and error method rather than assuming.
And regarding positioning of those two pieces what whould be the best place to cover as much area as possible? the side walls, the large walls, maybe in the corners? or maybe not living room at all?

Plenty of trial and error awaits the DIY WiFi installer. :)

WiFi likes to be high, central, in the clear, and not co-located with other transmitters/EMI on the same frequencies.... not buried in the basement on the floor in a tangle of wires behind the media center TV next to the furnace blower motor.

When you add an AP, that shifts your layout. A standalone router/
AP needed in the center of the house is now crowded when adding a second AP around it. Your floor plan and suggested router location is pretty good... the router is pushed toward one end but in a central open area extending toward the other end, so if standalone, it will cover toward the other end. If that doesn't get past the kitchen well enough, add another AP at that end. Your router location may serve wired media center clients and hopefully will cover the outdoor areas front and back. Early testing will bring things into focus... newer equipment covers better than older equipment, but the difference between similar new equipment is not so great... both are limited by Tx power regulation.

A problem with 'not living room at all' is that is where you want it most and it is the central area. If you hide an AP at each end, half of their radiation pattern (see my notes) is broadcasting out the sides of the building over to the neighbors and where no outdoor living areas exist... so a waste. I think you will want to pull them inward central a touch, like where your router was shown. Put a WiFi analyzer app on your smart phone to see all WiFi around you and how signal power varies with distance/obstacles. The one in my notes is old but still good enough for seeing the signals.

A professional installation with specific/directional APs may layout differently with wall or ceiling mounting. Not my wheelhouse with DIY equipment.

OE

From your diagram, I would start with 1 Asus AX router and a separate cable modem (any of the Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modems will do) in the middle of the built-in to the right of the fireplace as high as possible.
Chimney construction is not WiFi friendly, so you want to offset away from the chimney for MBR signal quality.
Right side is recommended to get best angle into garage by avoiding outside walls. From my experience, signal quality is best open air > doors > interior walls > exterior walls, chimney.

Your biggest risk is garage signal quality. Having to pass through 2 outside walls to the back of the garage is going to be marginal. If your garage WiFi needs are focused at the front of the garage, you may be ok.

But as already noted, we are all making best guess. You won’t really know until you try it. The nice thing with Asus gear is you can always add a node later if your really need it.

Thank you all!
I have found a good deal and decided to go with Eero. So I would give it a try and will set up two Eero Pro 6 gateways (K010001) and will let you know how it goes

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!