What's new

Does my LAN set-up make sense?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aht961

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-N66U, which is running 38-2-em. I used to use this as my main router keeping the cable modem (Cisco EPC3825 8x4 DOCSIS 3) in a bridge position. My ISP provides a 350/20 connection and when connected directly to the modem from my iMac desktop, I could get at the most around 270-280M/16M bandwidth.

Scenario 1: When I connect using the RT-N66U as the main router, I could get a maximum of around 135-140M/16M with the hardware accelaration (HA) ON. With QoS the download speed goes down to 75-70M. Therefore I turned the QoS off and kept the HA on. I was planning to upgrade to a AC router hoping that I can get better download speeds.

Scenario 2: Then, I decided to switch the cable modem from bridge to a ROUTER position, let it handle the NAT & DHCP and firewall and keeping the RT-N66U function as an AP. Now I could get the same download speed as in the original setting: that is 270-280M/16M. I could never get over 175-180M with the RT-N66U functioning as a router.

I would be happy with this and would not bother you with my questions, however, I have lost the possibility of using the OpenVPN (which is rather essential for me) and my DDNS provider (since using a variable IP from the ISP).

Since I reallly don't understand much about the infrastructure of the network:

Q1) should I assume that may cable modem is doing a better job in handling the DHCP & NAT than my RT-N66U?

Q2) Is it possible that a much cheaper and 3 years old Cisco cable modem is better than RT-N66U as a router or is it just me who cannot adjust properly the RT-N66U or is it the firmware in it causing the problems?

Q3) If I bought a AC66U or AC68U router, could I increase my download speed (I assume that equals to WAN > LAN throughput?) from that of RT-N66U?

Any comments would be very welcome - thanks.

Last edited:
First, your ISP 'has' to provide you with a level of hardware to meet or exceed the level of service you're paying for. It is above the RT-N66U in this sense.

To maximize the great connection your ISP is offering you need to upgrade to a better router. The RT-AC56U will be able to handle your connection. As will the RT-AC68U. These routers have faster processors and even without HW acceleration (if you want QoS, for example), you should be very close to the ISP speeds you're paying for with those.

The RT-AC66U though, has the same processor as the RT-N66U and will not offer any benefit for your setup over the RT-N66U. You might want to consider the Netgear R7000 too, but I like the benefits of the RMerlin firmwares and the Asus hardware.

Last edited:
First, your ISP 'has' to provide you with a level of hardware to meet or exceed the level of service you're paying for. It is above the RT-N66U in this sense.

To maximize the great connection your ISP is offering you need to upgrade to a better router. The RT-AC56U will be able to handle your connection. As will the RT-AC68U. These routers have faster processors and even without HW acceleration (if you want QoS, for example), you should be very close to the ISP speeds you're paying for with those.

The RT-AC66U though, has the same processor as the RT-N66U and will not offer any benefit for your setup over the RT-N66U. You might want to consider the Netgear R7000 too, but I like the benefits of the RMerlin firmwares and the Asus hardware.

Thanks a lot - you have also answered my 3rd question which I have added after you have read my original note - which is incredible. This is a great froum. Cheers!

Cheers! :)

The RT-AC56U will be able to handle your connection. As will the RT-AC68U.

For those who might be willing to do the same upgrade: You were absolutely right. I fetched the AC68U. Put the cable modem back to the bridge mode. Now I have the same download speed with the new router as the cable modem (around 260-290MB/16MB vs. 120MB with RT-N66U) as you have suggested. I have HA on, though. 5G is also amazing, in particular the range. Easily hit 190-200MB with the 5G band. Also 2,4G is better (having 100-110MB). Now old RT-N66U is functioning as an AP. I am still with the stock firmware as the OpenVPN worked out of the box. I will play with this for a while after which I shall once again start the joy of painful upgrading / downgrading / resetting / testing challenge here.

Once again many thanks for the useful info made available here. Pleased again with Asus- and this is not an advertisement :)

Last edited:
Glad it has worked out so well for you. Thanks for reporting back!

Really curious what version of the firmware you're running?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!