What's new

Don't dismiss your antennas...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark Uhde

Regular Contributor
So, I was in a hacking things together mood last night when I couldn't sleep. I have an antenna pair waiting to add an antenna to a friend's netbook (that only has ONE stock antenna - no rx diversity) so I could upgrade to a dual-band dual-stream card. To get some practice tearing apart netbooks and routing antenna cables, I figured I'd add the second antenna in the pair to my netbook so I'd be ready to grab a 3-stream card. For giggles, I connected my newly installed antenna instead of the stock antenna to port 1 on my existing card (which is 1x2 MIMO). WOW, my downstream speeds shot way up - from about 40mbps to about 60mbps. I have yet to test range, if it's decreased, I'll swap it so my primary (and thus upstream) antenna is one of the stock antennas. I doubt it will be.

Why did this make such a difference? I have no idea, my best guess is that since I installed this antenna sideways relative to the stock antennas, and since it's a different antenna design, the spatial diversity required for two streams works better. Regardless of cause, it's a fantastic demonstration of why antennas must not be forgotten and if slow wireless has you down, consider playing with antennas! In my wildest dreams, I didn't expect this dramatic of an improvement.

more antenna gain and/or proper H/V polarization = stronger signal BOTH directions = higher bit rate.
40 to 60Mbps, if truly a sustained average (not just a couple of observations), may mean about 4-8dB improvement in signal strength. You can see this in the client's display of connection raw burst rate - this is typically 160% of the net IP throughput.

more antenna gain and/or proper H/V polarization = stronger signal BOTH directions = higher bit rate.
40 to 60Mbps, if truly a sustained average (not just a couple of observations), may mean about 4-8dB improvement in signal strength. You can see this in the client's display of connection raw burst rate - this is typically 160% of the net IP throughput.

I'm talking even right beside the AP all the way to a couple rooms away. It was sustained over 30 seconds, iperf data. I was amazed, it was as if the second stream somehow totally woke up. Only affected downlink speeds, not uplink (which makes sense as the card is 1x2 MIMO). I credit correct polarization for spatial separation...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!