What's new

DS410 performance - significance over DS410j?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randfee

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I've been looking into getting a 4bay NAS for home and I have to say I really liked the Qnaps (439-459), but as good as their performance is, they're just 50% above of what I planned to pay. If I'd pay that much, I might as well get a Synology DS1010+ ^^.
Thus I looked at the 410j which lacks an eSATA port though. So the ideal NAS for me could be the DS410 but I can't find any review or performance numbers. Additionally, I've read rumors about a DS410+ which isn't even on the synology homepage though. I guess the DS410 is too new?! Does nobody have an insight?

Many claim the DS410 will only be significantly faster than the DS410j when used with encrypted volumes?! Frankly I don't see why I would need that what I want though is up-to-date performance. I've seen old NASes crouch around with <10MB/s with small files and that's just not gonna do it for me.

usage scenario:
  • 2 Macbooks backing up via time-machine (500GB hdd each)
  • media-server (movies/itunes)
  • >1,2TB of images (RAW files)
  • need of a backup functionality of CERTAIN (not all) those files to external drive, preferably eSATA because of speed
Any advice?

Last edited:
Ds410

I've just purchased and incorporated the DS410 into my system and I love it. It was a replacement for a previous Synology product, CS410e, which pales in comparison to this one. I've got a Macbook Pro, a windows 7 PC, PS3, Xbox 360 all connected to it and it works great. The transfer speeds were incredible over my older model NAS and I'm glad I upgraded to this model. I think this would suit may small home networks as it has for mine. I would definitely recommend the 410 to all.

thanks, glad to hear you're happy with the unit. Any comment on how loud the unit is? Many claim the Synology Units are quite noisy.

Since I get very little feedback or recommendations I figure I might as well just jump into the NAS ocean and order one. I'm thinking I might just get the DS410 and not look back, the qnaps with comparable performance are just 50% more expensive and I can't see me drooling over their build quality when the unit will be placed in my office/gaming/pc-room behind more electronics.

I am looking at this as well as the QNAP 410 and 419.

This looks like it might be in the best price / performance combo.

I've been reading alot (!) on these and my best shot these days is:

• Synology has the better Webinterface
  • Qnap has better build quality & obvious accessability with no need to dismantle the unit to install/replace hdds
  • Qnap devices are quieter
  • Qnap had the better performance until DS1010+/710+ arrived

Xbitlabs.com has a review of the DS410j. They also have a similar review of the Qnap TS-439Pro. Comparing both of them (see below) gives you a good idea of how well the DS410j performs and since there is not much difference between the both of them I can only guess that the DS410 is performing on par or better than the TS-439Pro which, considering the 50% higher price of the TS-439Pro , would render both the DS410 and the DS410j the far better deal.
Question remains, DS410j or DS410... damn, 140€ premium just for e-SATA which is my major drawback of the DS410j. I couldn't care less about the better looks and encryption of the 410.

Untitled-1_%40_100__%28Layer_1%2C_RGB_8%29_%2A-20100505-151828.jpg

source: www.xbitlabs.com

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!