What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From south to north and now somewhere in between, you only miss west and east as next movements :p
Hope you enjoy it whereever you are!

Hey folks and greetings from Germany (yes I moved to a new country)!!!
I have finally got some time to work on the DSL-AC68U and here we go.. there is a fresh new pre-release looking for testers.
Since we got new blobs from ASUS, I think we can get a stable version this time, and it will be based on 384.14

So please help me in testing the new firmware: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/384.14-beta1-gnuton2

I will run the update over this weekend and report back early next week.
Grazie molto.

Hello out there,
just one question: Does it work with the DSL-AC68VG too?
I'm using T-Entertain in germany, im used to use the DSL-version. The stock firmware is a bad joke (espacially the OpenVPN settings....).

Thanks for your efforts :)

Too sad, so there's no way to use a single DSL modem with WRT support when using T-Entertain (which needs multicasting). Si I'm gonna switch back to my old setup (Speedport from Telekom + RT-AC68U).
Thanks for the fast answer :)

I will run the update over this weekend and report back early next week.
Grazie molto.

@GNUton - just 1 issues so far - which no amount of reboots have solved ...
Code:
Nov 23 05:38:09 DSL-AC68U-5598 acsd: scan in progress ...
Nov 23 05:38:09 DSL-AC68U-5598 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x100b (11)
Nov 23 05:38:09 DSL-AC68U-5598 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0x100b (11)
Nov 23 05:38:09 DSL-AC68U-5598 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x100b (11) for reason APCS_CSTIMER

The above message keeps presenting in the system log - over and over again.

Otherwise - everything running well - including built in ntp server / amtm / Diversion - pixelserv / Skynet and Scribe. I believe "Let's Encrypt" is still broken in the Asus Stock release - but will be fixed in the next Asus code release.

@GNUton - just 1 issues so far - which no amount of reboots have solved ...
Code:
Nov 23 05:38:09 DSL-AC68U-5598 acsd: scan in progress ...
Nov 23 05:38:09 DSL-AC68U-5598 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0x100b (11)
Nov 23 05:38:09 DSL-AC68U-5598 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x100b (11) for reason APCS_CSTIMER

The above message keeps presenting in the system log - over and over again.

Otherwise - everything running well - including built in ntp server / amtm / Diversion - pixelserv / Skynet and Scribe. I believe "Let's Encrypt" is still broken in the Asus Stock release - but will be fixed in the next Asus code release.

My bad - please ignore - after factory reset - forgot to take WiFi off "Auto" Channels [both 2.4 and 5] and have set them manually to appropriate channels.

So - bottom line - your 384.14beta is stable under my config.
Many thanks again for your excellent work :D.

@GNUton - the only thing I really miss in your releases is the ability to set DoT in the Wan settings.
Here is image from my DSL-AC68U ...
WAN-DSL-AC68U.JPG

As compared to this image from my RT-AC86U ... both running appropriate versions of Merlin-Ware
WAN-RT-AC86U.JPG

Any way to add this feature - otherwise will revert once again to stubby script.
Thnx.

EDIT: - Both routers using WAN type PPPoE

Hey folks and greetings from Germany (yes I moved to a new country)!!!
I have finally got some time to work on the DSL-AC68U and here we go.. there is a fresh new pre-release looking for testers.
Since we got new blobs from ASUS, I think we can get a stable version this time, and it will be based on 384.14

So please help me in testing the new firmware: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/384.14-beta1-gnuton2

Works good for me.
VDSL 50Mbit , OpenVPN server , Samba, Wifi (both) work as intended.
Also i managed to add swap partition and install entware (+transmition)

I have had the "runing out of nvram" message , which i haven't encountered since this firmware.
Although i found ways to clean up the nvram , i preferred to do a factory reset (and clean the NVram because the trick haven't worked)

Same here all looks to work fine, I can't test the ai mesh, i don't have any devices.
The "runing out of nvram" message appear to me as well and I didn't do anything just to see if it is going to effect performance, so far I haven't noticed anything

VDSL 50Mbit , Samba, Wifi with guest network and diversion.

Cool thanks very much folks!
I will investigate more about the low nvram issue soon.
The bug has been kindly reported here https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/26 by Tulio. Feel free to add anything that you suspect can help me.
In the meanwhile upstream code has been updated to beta2 and by today there should be an up-to-date image to test. Thanks a lot!
As for the DoT for WAN there is a feature request https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/17 , but I do not have time to work on it, so if anyone wanna jump in and get it implemented you're welcome! :D

Last edited:
Cool thanks very much folks!
As for the DoT for WAN there is a feature request https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/17 , but I do not have time to work on it, so if anyone wanna jump in and get it implemented you're welcome! :D

Not a coder - so well beyond my abilities - but that said, I'm puzzled because the DoT feature requested is part and parcel of the Merlin code you are basing your release on ??? This is not a "new" feature - but rather one which has been part of Merlin-Ware since 384.12, through 384.13 and now in 384.14-alpha /beta /beta2 ??

Not a coder - so well beyond my abilities - but that said, I'm puzzled because the DoT feature requested is part and parcel of the Merlin code you are basing your release on ??? This is not a "new" feature - but rather one which has been part of Merlin-Ware since 384.12, through 384.13 and now in 384.14-alpha /beta /beta2 ??
It's a new feature only if you set the DSL as WAN, since DSL is not available in upstream merlin.

The DSL page is different from the regular WAN page, so implementing DNS Privacy isn't just a matter of toggling the switch to on at build time, it has to be manually merged into the DSL WAN page.

It's a new feature only if you set the DSL as WAN, since DSL is not available in upstream merlin.
The DSL page is different from the regular WAN page, so implementing DNS Privacy isn't just a matter of toggling the switch to on at build time, it has to be manually merged into the DSL WAN page.

Many thanks for responses - the differences fully understood ... and the solution provided by RMerlin fully appreciated.
It would be great if @GNUton could find the time to do that merge :) given that the original code work is already available in Merlin-Ware.

As an FYI, 3.0.0.4.384_81727 was released yesterday by Asus. Unsure if it has any content that would warrant being rolled into your current BETA.