What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi everyone, wondering if you can help. New to most of this home networking stuff. Trying to use DSL-AC68U to run IPTV in Ireland. Picture is ok for 10 seconds and then freezes. If I change channel it works again for 10 more seconds then freezes once more.
I am pulling my hair out at this point.
Any advice on a fix would be appreciated.

Thanks all...

Hi everyone, wondering if you can help. New to most of this home networking stuff. Trying to use DSL-AC68U to run IPTV in Ireland. Picture is ok for 10 seconds and then freezes. If I change channel it works again for 10 more seconds then freezes once more.
I am pulling my hair out at this point.
Any advice on a fix would be appreciated.

Thanks all...

Hi Seamus,

Your issue is not really relevant to the topic of this thread. I do seem to recall that there is an option in the Asus router config for optimising the connection for IPTV but I've just now looked for it and can't seem to find it. I think it is in the LAN settings somewhere.

You may find the following topic useful though: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-use-iptv-on-asus-router.30674/

I'm keen on trying this build. I had to revert to stock as the previous stable build was giving me problems with the VPN client. My connection was timing out on random sites, while it was working ok for the majority of sites.

I followed my VPN provider (PIA) instructions for Merlin firmware for set it up and experimented with parameters but that didn't help as I kept getting the timeouts and occasional slowness on random sites.

That does not happen with stock firmware. I'll give a go at this new build once I got time to flash and factory reset.

Thank you @GNUton for this project.

Hey there!
I have merged the latest Asus blobs into a dev branch and a new TRX is available.
The pre-release is ready to be tested and it can be found here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/384.14_beta2-gnuton0_alpha3

Do you still get notifications about running low on free nvram?
For me it looks like the NVRAM usage has increase a little bit (from 58147 to 58291 bytes) but that's not an issue.

Hey there!
I have merged the latest Asus blobs into a dev branch and a new TRX is available.
The pre-release is ready to be tested and it can be found here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/384.14_beta2-gnuton0_alpha3

For me it looks like the NVRAM usage has increase a little bit (from 58147 to 58291 bytes) but that's not an issue.

Really grateful for your continued support of this DSL Router. :D
I will flash tonight [RSA time] and let you know tomorrow {Thumbs Up}

For me everything looks good in DSL-AC68U_384.14_beta2-gnuton0_alpha3_DSL_1.0.4.9 as it was before in alpha2, but the NVRAM message is there again 62476 / 65536 bytes.
I have to SSH for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done; nvram commit
and then it goes to 53076 / 65536 bytes

Hi Zendilar,
thanks for testing and for sharing your results. I have closed the NVRAM bug because I saw that the increase now between one of the old firmware and the latest alpha is quite small.
Just like you did, I noticed there were a lot of unused vars and removing them manually definitely helps. That can be fixed in the C code but I prefer it if it comes from upstream.
If you think the issue is still there and we should do anything about it please feel free to share your concerns and we can re-open the ticket and see what to do.

Hi Zendilar,
thanks for testing and for sharing your results. I have closed the NVRAM bug because I saw that the increase now between one of the old firmware and the latest alpha is quite small.
Just like you did, I noticed there were a lot of unused vars and removing them manually definitely helps. That can be fixed in the C code but I prefer it if it comes from upstream.
If you think the issue is still there and we should do anything about it please feel free to share your concerns and we can re-open the ticket and see what to do.

Dirty flash from 384.14-beta2_alpha2 to 384.14-beta2_alpha3 - absolutely no issues - and no warning about NVRAM.
Rock steady as usual :D.

My only issue is that these latest Merlin releases have built in Stubby for DoT but under your DSL firmware - we can't get to set or configure it.
In prior versions [384.12 and earlier] we were able to use Stubby script as an add-on available here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/stubby-installer-asuswrt-merlin.49469/. However - even though this script still installs on 384.14 - it does not appear to properly invoke DoT over TLS - so DNS requests are not secured?

Hopefully you will be able to find time to do the merge discussed in prior posts ;).

Has anyone of you had the chance to test AIMesh? How does it work with the latest pre-release?

Hey there!

Looks good for me.
Wan,wifi,samba,Openvpn works fine.Also Entware and transmition working fine.
Nvram is at 57348 and won't go any lower with the "nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20" but no alarms at UI

Maybe Stubby problem is somehow related to Johns fork which might have similar issues with newer firmwares on MIPS: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/f...lts-releases-v39e3.18914/page-493#post-529811

Pretty sure you are right - when RMerlin included DoT in his base firmware [starting from 384.11 as I recall], if the old "stand-alone" Stubby script was applied it did not work as in prior Merlin-Ware versions. Several members have posted possible solutions to get it to work again - but way too technical stuff for a non-coder like me :(!

The DoT available in other Merlin capable Router models works wonderfully well from the webgui - so I will wait patiently for @GNUton to find time to merge into his DSL release.

Hi there,
I am trying to figure out how to setup repeater mode and not sure if its possible. I think I need something called universal repeater mode (not sure what the correct wording is). I can see the WDS setup in the DSL-AC68U but I am trying to extend the WIFI signal of a d-link dsl-224 router which does not have any WDS settings in the interface.

It looks like the RT-AC86U has a repeater mode in admin but I cant find anything like it in the DSL-AC68U.

I am using Stable: 384.12-gnuton1
Thanks!

(Special thanks to GNUton for this firmware :) )

Last edited:
Repeater mode is not available in stable DSL builds.
If you wanna test it out you must flash an old release with repeater mode activated.