What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see gnuton dropped an Alpha 384.18 release, did anyone try it? It might be for only those who have a test box

Last edited:
yes I just flash one of my DSL-AC68U for testing, it looks to be working but some things are a little bit buggy I will come back with more details.

I will be patient and wait for @GNUton to call for Alpha testing.
The 384.18 release involves a LOT more changes than most of the prior releases ... and on top of that the recent Asus GPL release for the DSL includes a lot of important fixes specific to the DSL-AC68U which are not in the RT-AC68U.

As I understand his methodology, he has in the past merely overlaid the DSL portion of the code over RMerlin's revised code released for the RT-AC68U. Now Merlin's 384.18 release for the RT-AC68U is based on an earlier release of the Asus GPL code for that model - than the release from Asus for the DSL-AC68U ... so ... unless GNUton does a lot of extra work ... we may not benefit from the latest Asus fixes until 384.19 ... which is some way off ... ???

glad to see you are back mate with all the things that are going on I was a little wary about you.
now fortunately for me the latest alpha didn't brick my device but I will revert it back to the previous version and as kernol mention above I will wait for your call for testing.

Please do not test the latest alpha releases since they are REALLY unstable and bad.
There is nothing to test yet. I will announce here when I would need some help with testing. thanks! :D

GNUton 384.17 is properly stable ... and perfectly good for everyone to use for the time being. :cool:
We will all be patient while you tackle a MUCH more complex task than previous builds ... so take your time to get it right and let us know when ready for alpha testing. ;)

Incidentally ... on one of my DSL-AC68U's I have applied the latest Asus Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_38287-gb31556f released on 30 June 2020 and must say it is really stable and has been running flawlessly for just over a week. That GPL will provide a really useful base for @GNUton to build on.
Asus-DSL-AC68U.JPG

For those using AiMesh - the latest Asus stock release has a dedicated web-page under a new TAB which I'm sure will prove very useful.

That GPL will provide a really useful base for @GNUton to build on.

No it won't, unless GNUton starts doing his own code base GPL merges. The binary blobs from that 386 release won't be compatible with my 384 base code.

BTW, will be even harder, since the uploaded GPL is the wrong one - it's 380_3879, which is years old.

No it won't, unless GNUton starts doing his own code base GPL merges. The binary blobs from that 386 release won't be compatible with my 384 base code.
BTW, will be even harder, since the uploaded GPL is the wrong one - it's 380_3879, which is years old.

Oh dear ... so Asus releases their latest firmware update version 386_38287 and provides GPL source code with same version number 386_38287 but is actually years old 380_3879 under the hood !!! Somebody in their team needs more than a little nudge :rolleyes:!

I must confess I am totally confused by Asus firmware numbering. I've seen your advisories for certain models that 385.???? is actually the same as 384.???? - so had no idea that 386.???? was now on a completely different branch to your base code.

It does seem that the installed firmware is in fact 386_38287 ... but I guess @GNUton will have to stick to older code base to remain in the Merlin fold. Fortunately 384.17 is stable ... just lacks some of the security fixes released since then.

Hi there,
You guys don't know how many headaches I'm getting from 384.18. :D

I do confirm what @RMerlin said.
Old version:
asuswrt/release/src-rt-6.x.4708/ntools/version:KERNEL_IMAGE = DSL-AC68U_3.0.0.4_380_3879-gd655407.trx
and old DSL firmware.. it's from 2016

src-rt-6.x.4708/tc_fw$ stat tclinux.bin
File: tclinux.bin
Size: 4102132 Blocks: 8016 IO Block: 4096 regular file <=== size is smaller than the current one
Modify: 2016-07-26 12:21:08.000000000 +0200 <==
Change: 2020-07-03 11:22:33.097856111 +0200

I will write to asus for releasing the latest correct code. If anyone is willing to join me, that would be appreciated and it will maybe speed up the process.

Last edited:
The fixed GPL should start appearing on the website nodes in a day or two.

I should check more often:

Version 3.0.0.4.386.38832 is out.

ASUS DSL-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_38832 (This product supports both Annex A and Annex B)
Security Fix and Improvement:
- Enhanced httpd for Reflected XSS.

New:
- New UI for Wireless Time Scheduling.
- New Ookla Internet Speedtest.

Bug Fixes and Improvements:
- Fixed the abnormal connection with load-balance mode when the Primary WAN is static.
- Fixed Network Map page issue when dual wan is enabled.
- Fixed and enhanced AiMesh related issues.
- Fixed memory leak issue.
- Enhanced for network map client type/name.
- Fixed Bandwdith Limiter of Guest Network in RE node.
- Enhanced nvram space usage.
- Added to configure DSL WAN interface MTU.
- Fixed speed meter of Bandwidth Monitor will disappear while traffic flow over 100 MB.
- Fixed DSL WAN add PVC failed issue.
- Fixed cannot update some DSL WAN PPPoE configuration issue in WAN > Internet page.

hello there, i've just installed 384.17_0-gnuton1 firmware on my dsl-ac68u, and so far, it's working smoothly for a couple of days, i'm just wondering if it's possible and safe to install FreshJR adaptive Qos script

regards

Can anybody comment on the speed?
Planning to install this to handle a 1Gb/100M Fibre connection, will I be able to use the full ISP speed?

Thanks

Can anybody comment on the speed?
Planning to install this to handle a 1Gb/100M Fibre connection, will I be able to use the full ISP speed?

Thanks

GNUton / Merlin firmware will not alter the hardware capabilities of this DSL Router. You will find the Asus Specs here ... https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/DSLAC68U/specifications/

So - if Asus stock firmware can handle your Fibre speeds - then GNUton will do so just as well - and even better if you use amtm to configure add-ons like Diversion, Skynet and Unbound.

Last edited:
I honestly doubt the AC68U will handle a gigabit internet connection. Probably wise to look at something with a bit more grunt for that.

Happy to be proven wrong though, I'm now legitimately interested in how well it would actually perform. (I get close to max CPU load on a saturated 80Mb/s connection!)