What's new

[DSL-AX82U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry for disturbing everyone...

My querstion is about OpenVpn Server performance. When I make vpn from outside network to my router, download speed performance is too low w/ stock firmware. My ISP performance is almost 45mbit/sec for the download.

1638010054902.png

When I check cpu of the router while testing, cpu usage is not bed. I am using lowest encryption as below:

1638010126760.png

1638010424235.png

Do you think that this performance issue is related to stock firmware?

Are your ISP speeds symmetrical? If not, then the upload speed of your home's connection becomes the maximum download speed possible.

Sorry, L& LD... I didn't nderstand your question about ISP symmetrical... As far as I know, I use vdsl and my current speed is between 45mbit/sec-55mbit sec interval. With stock firmware, I can reach almost 45mbit/sec via using openvpn but CPU usage of the router goes almost %100 usage for just only one core total of 3 three core. I am not sure if Merlin firmware has an enhancement on this vpn performance. Is there any possibility to use 3 core in parallel? I am not sure but it might be nature of ovpn.

1638729586180.png

Symmetrical with regards to upload and download speeds.

OpenVPN is only able to use a single core. Using multiple cores simultaneously isn't possible.

What RMerlin firmware may be able to do is allow you to use a different OpenVPN 'slot' or 'instance' that gives it its own core for the work it needs to do. This will be an improvement to the network experience, overall. And may keep the usage below 100%.

For most of us with a xDSL connection the speeds are asymmetric, usually the download speed being (substantially) higher than the upload speed.

When we then set up a VPN server, we're limited not by the higher headline download speed, but by the slower upload speed - at which the VPN server uploads data.

So my VDSL2 connection is 49Mbps down, and 9Mbps up, meaning that when I use my router as a VPN server, the maximum speed I can download at remotely is the router upload speed of around 9Mbps.

Also, because of the nature of VPN connections, I would assume (but could well be wrong) that multithreading would offer very little if any speed advantage.

Multithreading support would provide immense/linear advantages if it's possible to implement it natively in the client of choice (OpenVPN would be mine).

I understand the symmetric/asymmetric concept :). Anyway, it seems that my vdsl using asymmetric as Crimliar mentioned.

"What RMerlin firmware may be able to do is allow you to use a different OpenVPN 'slot' or 'instance' that gives it its own core for the work it needs to do. This will be an improvement to the network experience, overall. And may keep the usage below 100%." --> I understand you very well. Thanks for your feedback.

Just for additional question for RMerlin: Version 3.0.0.4.386.45660 stock firmware has a lot of bug fixes and improvements according to release notes. Does RMerlin has those opportunities? I am trying to decide switching to RMerlin as you understand... cheers :)

Asus has been (legally?) required to repackage their GPL offerings to better comply with all the red tape. RMerlin is waiting for the AX GPL's to drop so he can begin work using the latest packages/versions available.

That doesn't mean that RMerlin's firmware is out-of-date though, at least, not the latest available Alpha versions - the wizard never rests and those are as secure as possible. :)

However, you just can't use RMerlin's firmware directly. The DSL models he does not support.

You'll need to use the RMerlin fork by @GNUton and he may be caught up (or not) to what RMerlin has released as Alpha so far.

See the first post for more details on the RMerlin fork that is meant for your DSL router.

Hi,
I have not published alpha builds based on the newer Asus GPL used by RMerlin yet. Working on them.

Hi,
I just bought the Dsl-ax82u a few days ago as an upgrade but i've had weird issues with bufferbloat and i'm trying to get the Adaptive Qos to work with the lowest ping possible and i was wondering if this Merlin firmware will help with Qos bufferbloat ping times ? Hope this is the right place to ask , the website i use to test bufferbloat tells me merlin should help . Also will the router still auto connect to my sky fibre connection ? thanks

@Coszie you can simply flash merlin and check if it works for you. if it doesn't you can switch back.
if the stock firmware works with your sky connection then Merlin is supposed to work too.