What's new

DSL Splitter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrebleTA

Hi all, I've been asked by asus to connect my ISP device + the Asus device to the DSL line using the DSL splitter included with the Asus.

I did not know this was possable, anything I should know before trying??

Hmm think he got it wrong, I went in to the loft found me box, and I only have 2 filters not a DSL splitter, also I only have 1 phone socket.

Hi all, I've been asked by asus to connect my ISP device + the Asus device to the DSL line using the DSL splitter included with the Asus.

I did not know this was possable, anything I should know before trying??
You should provide the Asus router model when seeking help.

As for the "splitter" or DSL filter as it should be called, normally only one DSL device can be connected to a wired POTS or phone line. The DSL filter has two outgoing ports: one for phone and one for the DSL device. So, you should use either your Asus modem/router or the ISP provided modem/router.

Note: I have seen some newer modem/router combos that can be used without a DSL filter or splitter. I doubt the Asus DSL modem/router combo is like this and needs to be used with a splitter/filter.

They was meaning connecting 2 devices to the same dsl line.
Just for reference mine is a Asus DSL AX82U
Someone at Asus tech support needs more training.

By the way, if you do not use a wired phone you do not need a DSL filter.

They was meaning connecting 2 devices to the same dsl line.
This is the part that make no sense. As @bbunge said a DSL splitter (or ADSL microfilter as they are called in the UK) plugs into a telephone socket and provides two separate connections, one for a telephone and another for a DSL modem. You can't connect two ADSL modem/routers to one microfilter.

Or are they in fact asking you to set it up they way you already have it, according to your post here. i.e. Plug your Sky modem into the microfilter and then have your Asus connected to the Sky via the Asus' Ethernet WAN port (therefore bypassing the Asus' modem entirely).

Last edited:
I think he needs more training or I miss understood.

But here the post. #12

But I think my problem is more a line issule with low DSL siginal.

that should be easily determined by logging into the ISP DSL modem and going to the line or diagnostic pages. The tech should be doing this as part of the setup. Also, with the ISP DSL modem in place, the ISP can run a line check to determine where there is a fault, if any, and importantly the signal to noise ratio. POTS copper lines are notorious for degradation from moisture, squirrels, and handling. If your location is far from the main switching station, your rates will be limited unless the ISP has installed a concentrator nearby to reamplify the the signal and provide DSL service from there. 50-60 Mbit/s link rate down is generally fairly good and adequate for anything but high intensity gaming. Unless the service is symmetric, the upload rate will be slow for gaming.

Sometimes, the only solution is a new set of pairs to the house drop and/or a new drop to the termination point for the house. If the house wiring is poor, then up to you for cost of rewiring.

I think he needs more training ...
This ^. I think it's a combination of things; that person has limited technical knowledge, English doesn't appear to be their native language, and some of information they're relaying from the "tech team" is getting misinterpreted.

Yes thanks for the feedback, and agree.
I've had all the cable in my house swapped now, even master socket. Had cable more less tested to the cab, am thinking it a fault there as the cab is not too far from me. Yet looking at the siginals, am not too sure if there too low?

Else it's what I'm going to have to live with.
Something I have noticed that the auto ip address I get location seems to change areas, that maybe the site am checking on.

It has g.vector state?

xDSL Data Rate​

G.994 Handshake;
G.992.1 (G.dmt) Annex A;
G.992.2 (G.lite) Annex A;
ANSI T1.413;
G.992.3 (ADSL2), Annexes A, L, and M;
G.992.5 (ADSL2+), Annexes A and M;
G.993.2 (VDSL2),Annex A, B,supporting up to 35b [350Mbps/65Mbps];
G.993.2 Amd 7;
G.993.5 (G.vector);
G.998.4 (G.INP)

What's wrong with your ISP device? Why do you want to replace it with something else?

My ISP device is crap, it only has 2 lan ports, more then 4 wifi devices, I get wifi problem's, if I have 2 xbox, 1 ps4, and a pc going I start getting packet loss, also over heating. And last off the options on the ISP device are minimal if any.

But I have a DSL-AX82U, I was getting issules with the DSL, yet it was ISP related.

Last edited:
What's wrong with it as a modem?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!