What's new

Asus DSL AX5400 conveting to DSL AX82U flashing firmware Mac IOS via SSH. Winscp and Putty alternatives and commands please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @Newmacdaddy.

I don't recommend doing this, but, what specific firmware are you actually trying to load on your DSL-AX5400?

This one, just not sure how to do this, uploading to gun and installing. Managed to be able to enable SSH, any help or guidance would be appreciated, not familiar with programing.

I don't see how ssh is required?

Any advise please and thanks

Better stick to Australian information sources. This DSL-AX5400 is a rebranded by local ISP device. It is indeed DSL-AX82U hardware, but read carefully what is needed to bring it back to stock condition. This is strictly Australia and Optus (perhaps other) ISP specific question. General firmware change advice may not apply. ⚠️

I don't see how ssh is required?

As its locked by local isp and some functions are not accessable see this link it provides a bit of a rundown about the asus dsl rtax5400 provided through optus in australia https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/32k1vyn9?p=16
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 4.33.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Better stick to Australian information sources. This DSL-AX5400 is a rebranded by local ISP device. It is indeed DSL-AX82U hardware, but read carefully what is needed to bring it back to stock condition. This is strictly Australia and Optus (perhaps other) ISP specific question. General firmware change advice may not apply. ⚠️
Thanks, I wish it was as easy to do as normal Asus branded router. I purchased second hand and didnt know until i went to update the firmware that it was locked. Have been looking and all info appears to revert back to this forum, https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/32k1vyn9?p=16 being the only way to do it by enablingssh through devolper tools then flashing firmware via ssh winsscp and putty on a windows computer. I have a mac and not sure how to proceed with the final steps in the process. Spent way to many hours trying to find info, thats why i thought maybe asking here for help, there may be someone who has completed the process on a mac and can help
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 4.33.51 PM.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't pursue this any further.

Sell it while the unit is still in 'working' condition.

Have been looking and all info appears to revert back to this forum

There are successful conversions of purchased second hand units mentioned here on SNB Forums. If you search for "optus ax82u" a few threads show up. No much details about how it was done. Perhaps the source of information how to do it is the same. Again - this is Australia only specific device. Most folks here don't know it exists.

Did you ask the folks at Whirlpool forums what equivalent tools for macOS work for this purpose?

Last edited:

This rhymes with the whole TM-1900 thing - subsidized router provided by the carrier...

Thanks for the feedback.

Wanting to flash a Optus AX5400 to merlin firmware, have exposed and enabled the Telnet and SSH as they are hidden by the sip Optus.
However I am using a Mac and from what I have been able to find the below instructions work, just not sure what to do from this point as the mentioned programs winscp and putty are not on a Mac and I really am new to this so not much of an idea, tried countless searches but can't find any help

These are the steps I have left

Upload firmware file
1. go download firmware from github.com (.w file extension is the firmware )
2. I used winscp to upload the file to the router. connect using SCP protocol to the router IP address using the default username/password (optus/yourpassword)
3. upload file to the /tmp/home/root directory

Flash firmware
1. Download PuTTY and connect to the router IP address using SSH and default username/password. You should be in the same directory as where you uploaded the file "/tmp/home/root". just do a ls and you should be able to see the file you uploaded
2. run the following command without quotes, example is based on the latest firmware version as of the date of this post
"hnd-write DSL-AX82U_386.5_2-gnuton0_cferom_puresqubi.w"
once that is finished issue a reboot command and the router will restart and wait a few minutes it'll come back up.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

Wanting to flash a Optus AX5400 to merlin firmware, have exposed and enabled the Telnet and SSH as they are hidden by the sip Optus.
However I am using a Mac and from what I have been able to find the below instructions work, just not sure what to do from this point as the mentioned programs winscp and putty are not on a Mac and I really am new to this so not much of an idea, tried countless searches but can't find any help

These are the steps I have left

Upload firmware file
1. go download firmware from github.com (.w file extension is the firmware )
2. I used winscp to upload the file to the router. connect using SCP protocol to the router IP address using the default username/password (optus/yourpassword)
3. upload file to the /tmp/home/root directory

Flash firmware
1. Download PuTTY and connect to the router IP address using SSH and default username/password. You should be in the same directory as where you uploaded the file "/tmp/home/root". just do a ls and you should be able to see the file you uploaded
2. run the following command without quotes, example is based on the latest firmware version as of the date of this post
"hnd-write DSL-AX82U_386.5_2-gnuton0_cferom_puresqubi.w"
once that is finished issue a reboot command and the router will restart and wait a few minutes it'll come back up.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Borrow a Windows laptop from someone you trust and who trusts you. Get them to set up a separate account on it if needed. Everything else (from reading the instructions in your post) should be a doddle.

@Newmacdaddy I'm not a mac guy but a 2 second Google search provides these instructions for SCP:

Another 2 second search for SSH comes up with this:

Last edited:
Wanting to flash a Optus AX5400 to merlin firmware

Flash it with firmware folks at Whirlpool Forum recommend and have experience with. Then go from there flashing GNUton's Asuswrt-Merlin fork, if you want to.

Thanks mate yeah got that download. Had a look at your post on page 19. Have been trying commands via telnet as on page 30 but no joy so far. With your directions how would this convert when using a Mac, minus the winscp and putty? Excuse my ignorance still learning the very basics

Just wondering if one can do a CFE recovery with the desired FW...

It's over tftp. and this the Mac can host...

Thanks mate yeah got that download. Had a look at your post on page 19. Have been trying commands via telnet as on page 30 but no joy so far. With your directions how would this convert when using a Mac, minus the winscp and putty? Excuse my ignorance still learning the very basics
You're going to have to try cyberduck or learn some terminal commands...

Did you see my post on Page #19 on how to convert the AX5400 to an AX82U using Gnuton's firmware? I've been running all of his firmware's with my custom code and I have all the 82U features

And you're downloading the DSL-AX82U_3004_388.6_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w
yeah thanks mate managed to get the https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-m...n1/DSL-AX82U_3004_388.6_0-gnuton1_puresqubi.w, through terminal. Just trying to figure out out to use your script on terminal. Did you manage to get the firmware upgrade restriction removed, so its not through Optus?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!