What's new

Engenius EAP300 review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keenanj

Regular Contributor
Hi Jeff,

Have you run this up against the EAP350 in tests?

Thanks for the video. Did you really mean to say the product allows 150Mbps actual throughput between two wireless computers? Or rather, 75Mbps?

yes I just did a writeup on the EAP350 I am getting 140Mbps throughput at close range very impressive. Long range numbers are also better thanks to the 29dBm of power and atheros chipset.

http://www.keenansystems.com/Engenius_800mW_EAP350_review.htm

With the EAP300 the 10/100 interface limits WLAN to LAN speeds but WLAN to WLAN clients should be able to get above 100Mbps.

Long range numbers are also better thanks to the 29dBm of power and atheros chipset.

But let's be transparent: your long-range test comes nowhere close to that power. You measured throughput of 35Mbps, which means a MCS index of at least 4, and therefore at most just 24dBm/250mW of transmit power from the EAP350.

With the EAP300 the 10/100 interface limits WLAN to LAN speeds but WLAN to WLAN clients should be able to get above 100Mbps.

That'd sure be an interesting result for a 300Mbps access point. Got an IxChariot plot for that one?

Correct I was testing 11n throughput at 50 feet.

per the spec http://www.keenansystems.com/EAP350.pdf

in 11G mode the full 29dBm is available at 6-9Mbps to test this I would have to go several hundred feet outside the house. This will be usefull in larger structures or with concrete / metal in the walls.

I didn't do any graphing on the EAP300 WLAN to WLAN not many will use it but its the only way it could get more than the 10/100 will allow. And that is more than 100Mbps combined not each.

Last edited:
in 11G mode the full 29dBm is available at 6-9Mbps to test this I would have to go several hundred feet outside the house. This will be usefull in larger structures or with concrete / metal in the walls.

You'd also need a high-power client, like a dedicated long-range wireless bridge. This is what true long-range devices like the Engenius high-power products are for.

I didn't do any graphing on the EAP300 WLAN to WLAN not many will use it but its the only way it could get more than the 10/100 will allow. And that is more than 100Mbps combined not each.

In other words, your throughput WLAN endpoint to WLAN endpoint would be less than 75Mbps, not 150Mbps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!