What's new

EnGenius ESR9850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ESR9850 Firmware v2.0.0.98?

Has anyone tried this new v2 firmware yet or is firmware v1.0.9 still the most stable? I have two of these units on the way one will be normal (router, wap, 4-port switch) and the other one will be wap and switch only.

Thanks for any input!
Jeff

Has anyone tried this new v2 firmware yet or is firmware v1.0.9 still the most stable? I have two of these units on the way one will be normal (router, wap, 4-port switch) and the other one will be wap and switch only.

Thanks for any input!
Jeff

Yeah it's the wired router running now with the latest Turbo-NAT. You need to reboot device or better yet just turn off and wait 30 seconds. Their firmware system is two parts. Mine is blazing now.. I haven't tested the wireless though.

More here

I just read through all 35 pages and it has definitely peaked my interest.
I think I'm going to replace my aging equipment with two of these. One for my Router/AP and a bridge for my entertainment center.

Thanks for all the testing and input everybody.

I just read through all 35 pages and it has definitely peaked my interest.
I think I'm going to replace my aging equipment with two of these. One for my Router/AP and a bridge for my entertainment center.

Thanks for all the testing and input everybody.

Update info here

I've followed this thread on and off, and read all the pages.

My interest into Engenius was peaked because of the EAP9550 (smoke detector style N access point). Ultimately I'd like pull GigE into every room and have one of these EAP9550 on every floor.

Does anyone have experience with compatibility from any of the Engenius routers (this one or more expensive model) towards an Apple Airport Express ... to pump audio into a stereo system?

Word has it Airport Express requires an Airport Extreme or a router with WDS. This one - listing WDS and seemingly repeater compatible - should fit the ticket, but I've yet to read a first hand confirmation.

I have a variety of wifi gear I'm willing to replace: a DIR655 first gen and bg wifi linksys routers; but I really also want to pump audio via AirTunes into a whole house audio system through the line out of the AirPort Express ... and most routers don't seem compatible with the AirPort Express.

thanks for sharing your experience

I've followed this thread on and off, and read all the pages.

My interest into Engenius was peaked because of the EAP9550 (smoke detector style N access point). Ultimately I'd like pull GigE into every room and have one of these EAP9550 on every floor.

Does anyone have experience with compatibility from any of the Engenius routers (this one or more expensive model) towards an Apple Airport Express ... to pump audio into a stereo system?

Word has it Airport Express requires an Airport Extreme or a router with WDS. This one - listing WDS and seemingly repeater compatible - should fit the ticket, but I've yet to read a first hand confirmation.

I have a variety of wifi gear I'm willing to replace: a DIR655 first gen and bg wifi linksys routers; but I really also want to pump audio via AirTunes into a whole house audio system through the line out of the AirPort Express ... and most routers don't seem compatible with the AirPort Express.

thanks for sharing your experience

For a good DHCP Server and network throughput from Gig Router would be ESR-9850 with Network Turbine Boost! DIR-655 A3 Rooted is one of the best for use as APNs along with upgrading the 3x ANT to 5dBi. Next to this would be the top of the line TP-LINK TL-WR1043N for APNs.

ESR-9850 with Network Turbine Boost!

EnGenius ESR-9850 may be a fine one - I have owned their outdoor bridge and it's good.

But what is "Turbine Boost". Is that like some vendors call Turbo or Turbo boost? Is that frame bursting? These are proprietary and not per IEEE 802.11 and famously cause compatibility problems.

Last edited:
EnGenius ESR-9850 may be a fine one - I have owned their outdoor bridge and it's good.

But what is "Turbine Boost". Is that like some vendors call Turbo or Turbo boost? Is that frame bursting? These are proprietary and not per IEEE 802.11 and famously cause compatibility problems.

Some feature they're able to code out of the RT3052 chip. It does perform as they have describe it to me. The latest firmware has it.

See this image

Some feature they're able to code out of the RT3052 chip. It does perform as they have describe it to me. The latest firmware has it.
What does the term "code out" mean?
Is "some feature" useful in being compatible with other generic 802.11/WiFi products?

Anyone know why I'm missing the "monitor" tab under the system menu in my ESR9850??? I don't recall it even being there when I initially hooked up the router before I updated the firmware. But I updated the firmware within an hour of hooking it up the day I bought it.

Perhaps the flash didn't properly install itself?

Here is a pic:

Attachments

• Router_System.jpg
    Router_System.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 442
I once had the interface lock up certain functions during an firmware upgrade.

Try a reload of the current firmware you use, you've nothing to lose.

Anyone know why I'm missing the "monitor" tab under the system menu in my ESR9850??? I don't recall it even being there when I initially hooked up the router before I updated the firmware. But I updated the firmware within an hour of hooking it up the day I bought it.

Perhaps the flash didn't properly install itself?

Here is a pic:

maybe they dropped the Monitor function in the newer firmware?

Well... it seems the monitor function is only available when the router is switched to repeater mode. I've re-flashed the latest firmware three times now and keep getting the same result.

Oh well. The monitor was more of a gimmick than anything else. I'm still more than happy with my purchase.

Does this have a guest zone like the Netgears?

Yep. You can personalize up to 4 separate SSID's and control web access, network access, wifi to wifi device access, and more. I use two. One for my laptop and the second for my iphone 4, which also allows friends to use my wifi with their phones.

IPSec VPN/WiFi issues

Dear All,

I recently bought an ESR9850 and I'm having the following issues:

I'm unable to use my company's VPN from home - it's working fine with my earlier routers (I had a D-Link DIR-655 and a La Fonera 2.0n, both had no issues) - I have UPNP and VPN passthrough enabled (I read in the thread that UPNP could affect it - I don't see why however) - please let me know if I'm missing something. Most of the times the connection stops at "Registering computer on the network" or even connects but I'm unable to reach any systems at the workplace (no ping response).

My other issue is regarding the WiFi - however since I had a similar issue with the La Fonera 2.0n this is most probably a problem with the client - a Samsung Galaxy S phone - it keeps disconnecting very often unless I have near perfect signal strength. The laptops in the house (Asus g73jh, HP Compaq nc8430, emachines e520) seem to connect without issues.

The VPN problem is quite critical for me as I want to be able to work from home - I have the latest 2.0 firmware installed on the router (it shipped with 1.09).

Please let me know if you had any suggestions on configuring the VPN or if you need more information from my current setup.

Best regards
Peter

Dear All,

I recently bought an ESR9850 and I'm having the following issues:

I'm unable to use my company's VPN from home - it's working fine with my earlier routers (I had a D-Link DIR-655 and a La Fonera 2.0n, both had no issues) - I have UPNP and VPN passthrough enabled (I read in the thread that UPNP could affect it - I don't see why however) - please let me know if I'm missing something. Most of the times the connection stops at "Registering computer on the network" or even connects but I'm unable to reach any systems at the workplace (no ping response).

My other issue is regarding the WiFi - however since I had a similar issue with the La Fonera 2.0n this is most probably a problem with the client - a Samsung Galaxy S phone - it keeps disconnecting very often unless I have near perfect signal strength. The laptops in the house (Asus g73jh, HP Compaq nc8430, emachines e520) seem to connect without issues.

The VPN problem is quite critical for me as I want to be able to work from home - I have the latest 2.0 firmware installed on the router (it shipped with 1.09).

Please let me know if you had any suggestions on configuring the VPN or if you need more information from my current setup.

Best regards
Peter

Did you use 1.09 first and see if that worked?

VPN issue

I also, bought ESR 9850 after SNB reviews of routers.
The VPN issue is still there after I downgraded my router firmware from 2.0 to 1.1.
I have not tried 1.0.9 yet.

I noticed that the VPN connection is able to connect successfully with firmware 1.1 , however, the Remote Desktop is either unable to connect or times out while connecting. Not to mention the whole process is very slow for Remote Desktop.

Hopefully, this helps...

Other than that the router is great w/o the VPN.

-sp9239

Folks,

Got two of these routers and for whatever reason one died before I could finish setting it up! The LAN switch part after about an hour quits. Suspect heat issue.

The second has been upgraded to what may be the latest version V2.0.0.98_20100917 and there are issues with the upgrade as well.

Background and Intended Use.

I was hoping to use these routers as described here http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_protect_users_on_my_network_from_each_other.html under "Approach Two: Your ISP will give you only one IP address."

Have an adult teenager who "Knows it all!" and "Frostwire" is SAFE! They still have many lessons to learn.

And if you have ever tried to block Frostwire, it seems as though it is darn near impossible.

So I want to protect my systems from theirs for obvious reasons.

Want the ESR9850's to be the second routers inline. So to avoid the double NAT issue I turn off NAT in the ESR9850's and now I can not get to the web, everything times out.

Basically
NAT on - get web.
NAT off - no web.

Also on the NAT setup page is "Network Turbine" with enable or disable options. Which do NOTHING! Try to disable it and it asks and when you say yes it goes and flashes the screen and goes to the first System screen. Go back to Advanced screen and Network Turbine has nothing done.

Oh and if you do turn off NAT the Network Turbine also gets disabled.

Redownloaded and reinstalled the upgrade but nothing changed.

Suspect the latest upgrade to have problems.

After these two issues in less than a week my confidence in EnGenius products is fading pretty fast.

Dave

Tim,

I had not found your article, and thank you for linking it.

The thing I am hoping to do is on your example is have the NAT OFF/DISABLED on the 'Internet' router, (the ESR9850, radio disabled) and NAT ON/ENABLED on LAN 1 & 2.

On LAN 1 I will have UPnP off. And on LAN 2 UPnP will be on - so the 'Adult Teenager' can use Frostwire. Don't like the idea of their using Frostwire but they have got to learn sometime.

So my thinking (please correct me if I am wrong) is by moving the NAT to the LAN routers instead of the INTERNET router is the LAN's will then be protected by their own NAT. I am really concerned about keeping the malware/virii from getting into LAN 1, and I won't have to get into the messy port forwarding on two routers.

Or will just the simple subnet 192.168.3.xxx and 192.168.2.xxx keep all of the malware/virii from getting into LAN 1? If so then the NAT would be on, on the INTERNET router, and off on the LAN 1 & 2 routers.

Hope this better explains what I am trying to accomplish.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!