What's new

EnGenius ESR9850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With the method in the article, you must have NAT enabled on ALL routers. Otherwise you don't get the firewall protection, i.e. blocking of unsolicited WAN to LAN traffic that NAT provides.

You can also do this with two routers. Just put your "teen" on the router connected to the Internet and yourself on the downstream router. The NAT on your router will prevent any traffic from his router getting to yours. But you'll still be able to access things on the upstream router by using IP address.

No port forwarding is required unless you wanted to allow connection from the "teen" LAN to yours, which you don't want, or if you have servers running on your LAN.

Hi,

I upgraded my router to 2.0 and whenever I try to turn on the network turbine it just kind of flashes and goes right back to the system screen and the it doesn't turn on.

Also - I still have the bandwidth monitor in my system tab. I notice other people said it was gone. Does that mean the flash failed? On the system page it says kernel and apps are at version 2.0, so I'm not sure what is wrong here...

Can't decide between the ESR and TEW-691GR?

How does the guest access work, what I would like is a way of allowing access to wireless under an SSID which only allows Internet access, not like the TP-Link kit which forward a vlan id etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Power supply voltage

Hello, question about power supply, does it fit in Europe? What is input voltage range?

Thank you.

Strange problems with new ESR9850

Hi,

I bought an ESR9850 based in the reviews here. I'm having problems setting it up, and wondering if others have seen similar problems?

The problems are with getting DHCP on the WAN side and also with passing on the DNS to clients.

First, it does not seem to reliably get DHCP. If I tell it to renew, it refreshes quickly, so it doesn't _look_ like a timeout -- but often it comes back with nothing.

Second, when it does get an address on the WAN side, the web interface never shows that it gets DNS server addresses, although my router has never had a problem picking them up. With the 9850 set to pass along the ISP DNS servers, DHCP clients of the 9850 are getting 192.168.1.1 (the router's addr) and the second DNS server from the ISP.

This is HW version 1.0.0, and it shipped with firmware 2.0.0. I've also tried 2.0.2 with the same results.

I've tried this both with my cable modem as on the WAN side, and with my old router on the WAN side, and I get the same problems with the 9850 either way. I've tried power cycling everything in sight, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks

The ESR9850 is a long range and very stable router I have been working with it for quite a while everyone seems to like it even for mid size businesses.

and have more information here:

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_31&products_id=305

The ESR7550 has a dual CPU so it handles wired traffic better almost never needing a reset. However the builtin antennas and low power make for shorter range I actually use this as my router with the wireless disabled.

more info on the ESR7750 here:

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_31&products_id=295

Droid X Connection Issues

I purchased 2 of the EnGenius ESR-9850 wireless routers about 6 months ago. They are great, but I have noticed a problem with both routers, and that is that I am unable to connect to them using my smartphone. I have a Motorola Droid X running Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread). When I scan the network, I see the access point just fine, and when I connect I am asked for the network key, I enter it, and it starts to Obtain an IP Address before it disconnects and starts all over again. It does this on my parent's router using Charter and on my router using Comcast. Turning my phone's wifi off and back on again does not seem to help, and neither does rebooting the phone.

The weird thing is that I have been able to connect to it randomly, with no differences in settings on the phone or router. Rarely, I will see my phone's wifi icon and show it connected to the EnGenius ESR-9850. I have no problems connecting any other devices to the ESR-9850 and I have no problems connecting my phone to other wireless routers. It really is just the Droid X and the ESR-9850 not playing nice. Does anybody have any ideas or steps I can take to figure this out? Thanks!

Edit: Also, it does not matter whether I use encryption or not. I have tried both routers using WPA2 and Open, with the same results.

Last edited:
Since it occasionally connects, and when it fails the symptoms sound like the phone's DHCP failed in its request for an IP address, perhaps this applies...

DHCP will fail if the encryption mode and keys don't match. You said you tried "open", but does this mean you chose No Encryption rather than Open Shared Key?

Does the phone always work properly with a variety of other WiFi access devices?

I already did...

on the review: Its feature set is essentially the same as its single band sibling, the ESR9850. Refer to that review for a rundown of the tricks that the 7750 can do, which include four SSIDs, each with separate wireless security and support for WDS bridging and repeating.

but I downloaded both manuals and on the 7750 there's no repeat mode so I had to check...

Ant question

Tim, or whom ever has done this, I found no info about the use of different Antenna's and or Polarity of Antenna's placement to each other. I have two ESR9850 in-line to go the distance, and I was thinking of designing a better whip Ant for both Horz/vert operation Thanks

just another silly question

Concerning the Engenius ESR9850, did you notice while reviewing this item any heat issues or thoughts of improvement notably cooling of inners?
I am thinking about adding better heatsinks and or small fan attached to the cover.

Android Devices Still Crashing Router

I posted on the last page about the issues I was having with trying to use Android devices with the ESR-9850. Whenever I try to connect any Motorola Droid X to any ESR-9850 , the connection will fail, the router will crash, and reboot.

I have made a demonstration video that you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlY5hhRzJBg

I have purchased 25 of these wireless routers and this happens with every single one of them. I have even tested with multiple phones. It has happened with every Motorola Droid X I have tested it with, it also happened with an LG Revolution, but interestingly an HTC Incredible 2 was able to connect just fine.

I have tried upgrading to the newest firmware, resetting to defaults, etc. I am not sure what else to try at this point. My Droid X has no issues connecting to any other wireless router or access point, so I believe the Engenius ESR-9850 is to blame. Especially since it happens on every Droid X I've tested it with (around 5), and an LG Revolution.

In my research online, I have found just one other person who appears to have the same issue:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=58036917

Now.. here's the strange part. If I leave the wireless turned on and ride out the storm of crashes and reboots , eventually my Droid X will connect. It might be hours later in the day, but it will say connected, and everything will be working fine. I would change nothing, and it would randomly start working and stop crashing. I'm stumped.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!