What's new

Entware-ng & Entware-3x merge!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

why don't you use mariadb ?

I've installed MariaDB packages version 5.5.58-1 (mariadb-client, mariadb-client-extra, mariadb-server) on another router (also this router is under tree ARM7sf-k2.6), but I am not using the same configuration file of MySQL. Everytime I try to start the daemon I receive this error:

Code:
180327 18:50:25 [Warning] 'THREAD_CONCURRENCY' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release.
180327 18:50:25 [Note] mysqld (mysqld 5.5.58-MariaDB) starting as process 16083 ...
180327 18:50:25 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
180327 18:50:25 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use InnoDB's own implementation
180327 18:50:25 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.11
180327 18:50:25 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 128.0M
180327 18:50:25  InnoDB: Assertion failure in thread 1074652080 in file ut0mem.c line 103
InnoDB: Failing assertion: ret || !assert_on_error
InnoDB: We intentionally generate a memory trap.
InnoDB: Submit a detailed bug report to http://bugs.mysql.com.
InnoDB: If you get repeated assertion failures or crashes, even
InnoDB: immediately after the mysqld startup, there may be
InnoDB: corruption in the InnoDB tablespace. Please refer to
InnoDB: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/forcing-innodb-recovery.html
InnoDB: about forcing recovery.
180327 18:50:25 [ERROR] mysqld got signal 6 ;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.

To report this bug, see http://kb.askmonty.org/en/reporting-bugs

We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help
diagnose the problem, but since we have already crashed,
something is definitely wrong and this may fail.

Server version: 5.5.58-MariaDB
key_buffer_size=16777216
read_buffer_size=262144
max_used_connections=0
max_threads=27
thread_count=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_threads = 25316 K  bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

Thread pointer: 0x0
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
stack_bottom = 0x0 thread_stack 0x20000
(my_addr_resolve failure: fork)
The manual page at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.

It may be that this error is due to insufficient free memory? I include also output of "free" command:

Code:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       255892        75232       180660            0          592
 Swap:       262140            0       262140
Total:       518032        75232       442800

Hi all, sorry but here comes a very noob question (never done any of this before, trying to learn)
I installed AB-Solution all running well :)
I decided to install Entware (from merlins RT-AC86u latest stable build , built in script) but when I scrolled up there seemed to be several unfound links as the script was running, however as a small test I then installed Nano and that seemed to install, I then installed AMTM and that all runs well. So did Entware install correctly ?
I did the opkg update ; opkg upgrade and it just said packages updated, is this right ?
Is there a way to check the version of Entware installed to see if I do have the latest ?
How do you run the generic installer script, I have it on my computer as a .sh file but how do you run that from ssh ?
I know , very , very nooby questions , but I can’t find the dummy’s guide anywhere :) Sorry !!
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Type "opkg list-installed" (no quotes) in a term.
For more try "opkg --help" :)

edit

Then verify the packages using this url you quoted above.
aarch64 (kernel 3.10 and higher), packages - http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/Packages.html

If they do not match then you likely have arm7 packages when you want arm8 for the 86U.
Use this installer - generic installer - http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/installer/generic.sh
Hi, thank you for the reply,
How do I use the installer ?
Do I need to un-install Entware first ?

Hi, thank you for the reply,
How do I use the installer ?
Do I need to un-install Entware first ?
Yes, you will need to remove the arm7 version if you have confirmed that is what you have installed now. I'm not sure proper uninstall. I formatted my USB drive and reinstalled when entware-ng released.

Just download the aarch64 generic.sh, run chmod command to make it executable, then run it in the router terminal.

Yes, you will need to remove the arm7 version if you have confirmed that is what you have installed now. I'm not sure proper uninstall. I formatted my USB drive and reinstalled when entware-ng released.

Just download the aarch64 generic.sh, run chmod command to make it executable, then run it in the router terminal.
This is a list of what I have, it looks upto date, I was just concerned about all the un-found links when installing but the packages seem to have downloaded.

*****@RT-AC86U-Router:/tmp/home/root# opkg list-installed
entware-opt - 227000-3
entware-release - 1.0-2
entware-upgrade - 1.0-1
file - 5.25-2
findutils - 4.6.0-1
grep - 2.26-1
libc - 2.27-8
libgcc - 7.3.0-8
libmagic - 5.25-2
libncursesw - 6.1-1
libpcre - 8.41-2
libpthread - 2.27-8
librt - 2.27-8
libssp - 7.3.0-8
libstdcpp - 7.3.0-8
locales - 2.27-8
nano - 2.9.3-1
opkg - 2011-04-08-9c97d5ec-17b
terminfo - 6.1-1
zlib - 1.2.11-2
zoneinfo-asia - 2018c-1
zoneinfo-europe - 2018c-1
*****@RT-AC86U-Router:/tmp/home/root# opkg print-architecture
arch all 100
arch armv8-3x 150
arch aarch64-3.10 160
*****@RT-AC86U-Router:/tmp/home/root#

Does it look correct or should there be more ready installed ?
Is this the new combined Entware ?
Thank you,

This is a list of what I have, it looks upto date, I was just concerned about all the un-found links when installing but the packages seem to have downloaded.

*****@RT-AC86U-Router:/tmp/home/root# opkg list-installed
entware-opt - 227000-3
entware-release - 1.0-2
entware-upgrade - 1.0-1
file - 5.25-2
findutils - 4.6.0-1
grep - 2.26-1
libc - 2.27-8
libgcc - 7.3.0-8
libmagic - 5.25-2
libncursesw - 6.1-1
libpcre - 8.41-2
libpthread - 2.27-8
librt - 2.27-8
libssp - 7.3.0-8
libstdcpp - 7.3.0-8
locales - 2.27-8
nano - 2.9.3-1
opkg - 2011-04-08-9c97d5ec-17b
terminfo - 6.1-1
zlib - 1.2.11-2
zoneinfo-asia - 2018c-1
zoneinfo-europe - 2018c-1
*****@RT-AC86U-Router:/tmp/home/root# opkg print-architecture
arch all 100
arch armv8-3x 150
arch aarch64-3.10 160
*****@RT-AC86U-Router:/tmp/home/root#

Does it look correct or should there be more ready installed ?
Thank you,
Those version numbers and the architecture versions match what I have on my AC86U, so I think you are good. Congrats! If I remember that is the basic install set.

You will find more useful entware packages and powerful scripts to use as you browse the forums and get more comfortable. :cool:

Thank you for your help , hopefully I will start to learn the commands better, still not sure how to run the .sh file on the router :confused:
:):)

After you make sure that it is executable, then
Code:
sh /path_to_file/file_name.sh

Take a look at the "Creating Scripts" section here.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/User-scripts

That Wiki has more info to help as you learn.
Hi again,
So would you copy the file to a spare folder on the routers attached drive ?
Then run CHMOD on it and then run something like sh /dev/sda2/files/entware_new.sh ?
What would be the CHMOD command to make the file executable ?
Thank you :)
On another question is there a minimum speed requirement for USB drive running the scripts, is there any advantage to having it on the USB3 or is USB2 fast enough ? (I have my hard drive with shared files on the USB3 ATM and a stick in USB2 with the scripts and swapfile on, obviously the USB3 hard drive is a lot faster but it is shared by SMB and UPnP server).

I am using RT-AC68U and RT-AC87U. The first has a ARM9 and not ARM7 and I could not find out about the second. Do I need to update the antware packages on these devices? I have upgraded the firmware from 380.96_2 to 384.4_2 but no amount of factory resetting and manually reconfiguring could made the VPN work. The vpn just would not connect. I have reverted to the older firmware and have not upgraded to 380.70 because it also mentions the antware update package.
Please some clarifications if possible. Is antware update needed for these two devices? If not, why the VPN which is working on the older firmware is not working on the latest firmware? The log entries unlike older firmware are continuously changing and just too much to troubleshoot.

Do I need to update the Entware packages on these devices? I have upgraded the firmware from 380.96_2 to 384.4_2 but no amount of factory resetting and manually reconfiguring could made the VPN work. The vpn just would not connect. I have reverted to the older firmware and have not upgraded to 380.70 because it also mentions the Entware update package.
My AC87U setup (see footer) runs like a charm on firmware 384/NG - I had a stable and working setup on 380.69 (including VPN) and did the Entware/NG update there (running twice(!): opkg update && opkg upgrade) after some days of testing that Entware/NG is fine, I tried the firmware update to 384/NG without factory reset (dirty update) - and it works like a charm! :cool:

My advice is to go back to 380 firmware, make it stable (incl. VPN) and update Entware there, then the upgrade to 384/NG - too many changes at one time may ruin the success! :rolleyes:

Hi again,
So would you copy the file to a spare folder on the routers attached drive ?
Then run CHMOD on it and then run something like sh /dev/sda2/files/entware_new.sh ?
What would be the CHMOD command to make the file executable ?
Thank you :)
On another question is there a minimum speed requirement for USB drive running the scripts, is there any advantage to having it on the USB3 or is USB2 fast enough ? (I have my hard drive with shared files on the USB3 ATM and a stick in USB2 with the scripts and swapfile on, obviously the USB3 hard drive is a lot faster but it is shared by SMB and UPnP server).
You can place the file wherever you want. I just place and run temporary install scripts like this from /tmp/home/root.

Code:
chmod a+rx /path_to_scripts/name.sh

I'll refer you again to the Wiki page on user scripts for the chmod command. :)

What drive you use for install scripts does not matter. Since you have a shared drive the USB 3.0 for that is best with the add-ons on the USB 2 stick. I used a USB 2 for some time and I see posts that others do as well. I only use one drive for add-ons and it is USB 3 in that slot (no shared drive on my router). You can research here on SNB Forums about using the add-ons like Entware or others on a shared drive rather than a USB stick.

You can place the file wherever you want. I just place and run temporary install scripts like this from /tmp/home/root.

Code:
chmod a+rx /path_to_scripts/name.sh

I'll refer you again to the Wiki page on user scripts for the chmod command. :)

Hi, it’s the placing the file that I just cant seem to understand, its downloaded onto a windows computer and its getting it from there onto the root of the usb drive that I cant find info for ?
Or am I wrong in downloading it to my computer, is there a way to download it directly to the usb drives root ?
Very confusing when I have never even looked at Linux before, harder than windows :/
Thank you.

Hi, it’s the placing the file that I just cant seem to understand, its downloaded onto a windows computer and its getting it from there onto the root of the usb drive that I cant find info for ?
Or am I wrong in downloading it to my computer, is there a way to download it directly to the usb drives root ?
Very confusing when I have never even looked at Linux before, harder than windows :/
Thank you.
Ah ha. You need to look into Putty and WinSCP to get files from your Win computer to the router. There are many mentions here on SNB, and probably some tutorials on doing that.

I've used Linux off and on for 30 years and use it now on my desktop, so I cannot walk you through the basics, but search Putty and WinSCP here on SNB and the 'Net and you should find enough to get you running.
Good luck, have fun. :)

Ah ha. You need to look into Putty and WinSCP to get files from your Win computer to the router. There are many mentions here on SNB, and probably some tutorials on doing that.

I've used Linux off and on for 30 years and use it now on my desktop, so I cannot walk you through the basics, but search Putty and WinSCP here on SNB and the 'Net and you should find enough to get you running.
Good luck, have fun. :)

I was going to run Linux on a desktop about 20 years ago just to learn how, I even installed Red Hat but when it opened up I just didn’t have the time to get my head around it, so ended up re-installing Windows.
I really wish i had taken the time now :(

I was going to run Linux on a desktop about 20 years ago just to learn how, I even installed Red Hat but when it opened up I just didn’t have the time to get my head around it, so ended up re-installing Windows.
I really wish i had taken the time now :(
There is plenty of help on the 'Net these days to walk you through what you need to know. That and the Wiki pages or websites provided by the utilities here on SNB. I was comfortable with Linux, but not with technical aspects of networking when I jumped in here headfirst a year ago. With patience and lots of reading you can learn enough to be dangerous in a short time. :D

Do you know if there is a good list of basic Linux commands ?
I’m finding it hard to get the basics, most assume that you already have the basic knowledge (which I don’t)
I have been trying mainly just to navigate around my drive which has 3 partitions but the CD command only works for some things and I just cant seem to get past root or /dev . Trying to get into /sda1 /sda2 or /sda3 come up with permission denied, so I guess there are several different commands just for navigation. What i need is a step by step dummmies guide for beginners :)
Thanks,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!