What's new

Entware-ng & Entware-3x merge!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks. @john9527 , you want to take a shot at updating entware-setup.sh with these? I'm still stuck in 384 debugging Hell here these days...
Unless I'm missing something, it's an easy change because that's exactly what I did tinkering with it last night. I copied /usr/sbin/entware-setup.sh to jffs and adjusted the install url for arm7
Code:
INST_URL='http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/armv7/installer/entware_install.sh'
to
Code:
INST_URL='http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/installer/generic.sh'

Smooth sailing, from what I can tell. I assume you can do the same with mips, but I can't test it.

edit: @john9527 thoughts?

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something, it's an easy change because that's exactly what I did tinkering with it last night. I copied /usr/sbin/entware-setup.sh to jffs and adjusted the install url for arm7
Yep...turned out to be an easy change :)

But while looking at it, someone remind me again why the entware start is in services-start with a retry loop instead of in post-mount? I seem to remember some discussion on this in the past.

Yep...turned out to be an easy change :)

But while looking at it, someone remind me again why the entware start is in services-start with a retry loop instead of in post-mount? I seem to remember some discussion on this in the past.
I put mine in post-mount ages ago and haven't looked back. A loop made no sense when there was an event-driven script call for the entware device!

It's all that expletive language you use ;-)
I could have used such language this morning when I realized what's really up with the Entware changes.
All good now but I really would liked to have known beforehand to be prepared. @RMerlin and other coders around here usually have the foresight to warn me and let me have a go at the changes before it's published.
Ah, well, can't have it all.

I put mine in post-mount ages ago and haven't looked back. A loop made no sense when there was an event-driven script call for the entware device!
Me too...first thing I did after installing. Maybe we're missing something?

Me too...first thing I did after installing. Maybe we're missing something?
Everything seems to work fine so I must be really missing something!

I could have used such language this morning when I realized what's really up with the Entware changes.
All good now but I really would liked to have known beforehand to be prepared. @RMerlin and other coders around here usually have the foresight to warn me and let me have a go at the changes before it's published.
Ah, well, can't have it all.
Yeah it's great fun when something gets pushed from upstream that blindsides you and next thing you know users are flooding your support channels asking why it's broken :(

Smooth sailing, from what I can tell. I assume you can do the same with mips, but I can't test it.
MIPS does not need a change in the URL, it's the same as before. Only ARMv7 and aarch64 have changed.

I still want to keep the setup script in the firmware. Don't forget that it's actually just a bootstrap, not the actual installer. What it does (if my memory's right):

1) Check for supported partition
2) Check the router's platform
3) download and execute the appropriate Entware installer

So I assume we'll just need to update the location of the new installer(s), and possibly add a code path for the aarch64 platform so it uses the 3x repo (I'm assuming the busybox and default path issues have been resolved since last time I looked at it).
I changed the case statement to this in AB-Solution, using 64-bit for the 86U. The MIPS url is the same as before:
Code:
        case $(uname -m) in
            armv7l)        PART_TYPES='ext2|ext3|ext4'
                        INST_URL='http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/installer/generic.sh';;
            mips)        PART_TYPES='ext2|ext3'
                        INST_URL='http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/mipsel/installer/installer.sh';;
            aarch64)    PART_TYPES='ext2|ext3|ext4'
                        INST_URL='http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/installer/generic.sh';;
                *)        lastError=" $(uname -m) is an unsupported platform to install\n Entware on."
                        reload_menu;;
        esac

I'm already running OpenVPN 2.4.5 on my router....no problems there. I didn't see the Dropbear update, but given the history with Dropbear, we probably need to wring that out a bit before releasing it.

One of the changes mentioned in the changelog is how you customize options.h, so it will take a few minor adjustments on top of the merge.

Fairly sure it will be a simple change indeed, it's just I lack the time this week to take a look at it.

Last edited:
It's happened before where the thread got locked/hidden for some reason. I've messaged moderators so hopefully it'll be back soon.

When a post awaits moderator review, the forum mods already receive notifications about it. Just have to be patient, only three of us to cover the forums, and I know at least two of us are in North America, so we're typically asleep during Euro/Asian mornings.

When a post awaits moderator review, the forum mods already receive notifications about it. Just have to be patient, only three of us to cover the forums, and I know at least two of us are in North America, so we're typically asleep during Euro/Asian mornings.
I'm willing to apply to help out on some of the Europe side of things, if it would help?

One of the changes mentioned in the changelog is how you customize options.h, so it will take a few minor adjustments on top of the merge.
The entware change was so easy, I pulled in dropbear as well and made the changes for the localoptions.h support. Running now.