What's new

Entware USB 2 / USB 3 Drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xendi

Occasional Visitor
In order to install entware package management on merlin, it wants me to attach a USB drive formatted to ext3. I have 2 USB ports. One is USB3 and the other is USB2. I already have a USB3 drive connected for sharing video via the media server. Is there any problem with using a more slow USB2 drive for these entware installations?

What router do you have? USB 2.0 is only slower when setting up the USB drive, swap file, and scripts. After that, it works as fast as when plugged into a USB 3.0 port, but without affecting 2.4GHz band WiFi. :)

What router do you have? USB 2.0 is only slower when setting up the USB drive, swap file, and scripts. After that, it works as fast as when plugged into a USB 3.0 port, but without affecting 2.4GHz band WiFi. :)

It's an RT-AC1750_B1. I don't understand what you meant by that. How is it slower when setting up the drive but faster after it's setup? Also, what's the WiFi band have to do with it? I have a USB3 drive plugged in for serving video. That leaves the USB2 port for the drive to install programs and a swap. It seems like maybe they should reside on a usb3 drive though, especially the swap.

Hmm, I don't know that model? It doesn't seem like it is a supported RMerlin router?

I didn't say it is faster afterward. It just works as fast as a USB 3.0 port/drive used. :)

It is slower to set up than when a USB 3.0 drive is set up in a USB 3.0 port but in actual use, there is no significant, real-world difference between USB 3.0 or USB 2.0. :)

The only time you will notice it is perhaps when doing a script update, and only in comparison with the same router, the same network, the same scripts and the same load on the router and you happen to be using a USB 3.0 port with a USB 3.0 drive.

On many routers, the USB 3.0 port will cause interference on the 2.4GHz band when it is being used. Use search for more information.

The USB 2.0 port won't be a detrimental aspect of a swap file in the normal use of the scripts. Except maybe for spdMerlin, but if your ISP connection is that fast, you don't really need spdMerlin running either. :)

Hmm, I don't know that model? It doesn't seem like it is a supported RMerlin router?

I didn't say it is faster afterward. It just works as fast as a USB 3.0 port/drive used. :)

It is slower to set up than when a USB 3.0 drive is set up in a USB 3.0 port but in actual use, there is no significant, real-world difference between USB 3.0 or USB 2.0. :)

The only time you will notice it is perhaps when doing a script update, and only in comparison with the same router, the same network, the same scripts and the same load on the router and you happen to be using a USB 3.0 port with a USB 3.0 drive.

On many routers, the USB 3.0 port will cause interference on the 2.4GHz band when it is being used. Use search for more information.

The USB 2.0 port won't be a detrimental aspect of a swap file in the normal use of the scripts. Except maybe for spdMerlin, but if your ISP connection is that fast, you don't really need spdMerlin running either. :)

It's the RTAC66u B1. They renamed it to AC1750 B1

They didn't tell me! :eek:

:D

I got a new drive and formatted to ext4; installed entware. It seems to be working good. Anything I run will mostly be in system memory anyway. thx

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!