What's new

ERROR mcast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jonnny

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Today this error appeared:

Code:
Jun 23 10:27:39 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR mcast] bcm_mcast_blog_process,819: blog allocation failure^[[0m

I ended up discovering that when I connected my MiBox S 4K (connected to 5Ghz), the error appeared again. I never got this error, only today.

I have restarted the box and it continues. On other connected devices it doesn't happen.

1687521486763.png

Before restarting the router, I wanted to try to know what could be...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

Today this error appeared:

Code:
Jun 23 10:27:39 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR mcast] bcm_mcast_blog_process,819: blog allocation failure^[[0m

I ended up discovering that when I connected my MiBox S 4K (connected to 5Ghz), the error appeared again. I never got this error, only today.

I have restarted the box and it continues. On other connected devices it doesn't happen.

Before restarting the router, I wanted to try to know what could be...

Thanks.

It is related to multicast over wireless, that device obviously wants to use multicast. Have you messed with the multicast settings under wireless advanced? If you search here, there are other threads about it going back years. Multicast over wireless is hit or miss and requires some experimentation sometimes. If you don't need the device to be able to do multicast, then the errors are just cosmetic.

Thanks for reply.

No, I have not changed any Wireless (2.4/5GHz) settings.

Here my settings about IGMP/Multicast (the ones I found).

1687521737187.png

2GHz:

1687521792360.png

5GHz:

1687521768848.png

As I mentioned, this error only appeared today.

Thanks for reply.

No, I have not changed any Wireless (2.4/5GHz) settings.

Here my settings about IGMP/Multicast (the ones I found).

View attachment 51253

2GHz:

View attachment 51255

5GHz:

View attachment 51254

As I mentioned, this error only appeared today.

Is this the first time you connected that device? Maybe it got an update or a new app was installed on it that wants multicast.

Why do you have multicast enabled on the IPTV tab? Are you using IPTV from your ISP? It may be that box is now trying to route to the WAN since you have that enabled and the packets are just getting blackholed since there is nowhere for the multicast traffic to go.

Is this the first time you connected that device? Maybe it got an update or a new app was installed on it that wants multicast.

No, this device is always connected via Wireless. Yes, I have a app from ISP for views TV channels (etc.), but is OTT not IPTV.

Why do you have multicast enabled on the IPTV tab? Are you using IPTV from your ISP? It may be that box is now trying to route to the WAN since you have that enabled and the packets are just getting blackholed since there is nowhere for the multicast traffic to go.

Not at this moment. I only have the ISP router in bridge mode for ASUS. The IPTV box is connected to the operator's router.

So is it better to turn off multicast in the IPTV tab?

Thanks.

No, this device is always connected via Wireless. Yes, I have a app from ISP for views TV channels (etc.), but is OTT not IPTV.

Not at this moment. I only have the ISP router in bridge mode for ASUS. The IPTV box is connected to the operator's router.

So is it better to turn off multicast in the IPTV tab?

Thanks.

Try turning it off and see if it eliminates your log entries. If you don't have a need/reason for it to be on, disabled is better.

Yes, I already turned off the option and ended up restarting the router.

1687694151337.png

But after a while this error appears in the syslog again. When I turn the device back on.

Tried to change some WiFi settings but to no effect...

1687694218263.png

1687694242905.png

I don't understand why it only appears now...

The only clue could be the VPN Wireguard, as mentioned here.

Thanks.

The only clue could be the VPN Wireguard, as mentioned here.
Are you running wg manager or firmware wireguard?

Im running ac86u with wgm and gets this occationally. Normally not at all but we had some visitors 2 weeks ago and when they had their phones connected I got these every 20min from they arrived until they left. Before this it came and went whenever my daughter were home but stopped after a month. Guess she uninstalled whatever app caused it.

It resembles error you get from FlowCache and Wireguard incompability (on these routers) but in this case it seems to be triggered by som special packet that some app on my visitors phone generated.

I have never seen any bad effects of this more than a messy syslog.

Unfortunately the Asus/Broadcom Wireguard FC bypass is not implemented for AX88U, not really sure why.

Perhaps if we could find exactly what type of packet generating this we could block it before reching this far, but I have no idea.