What's new

Extending AT&T/Arris BGW-320 with AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lindros2

Regular Contributor
Anyone try this? Advice?
I'm getting GREAT in-home connectivity (1300 Mbps Link rate / -46 dBm RSSI)... but can't crack 50Mbps on a speed test. Anywhere.

What bandwidth? What client device(s)? How far from the router?

Anyone try this? Advice?
I'm getting GREAT in-home connectivity (1300 Mbps Link rate / -46 dBm RSSI)... but can't crack 50Mbps on a speed test. Anywhere.

What do you get wired to the AT&T gateway?

OE

What do you get wired to the AT&T gateway?
Wired to AT&T gateway = Fast - 900+/900+
But I ALSO get wicked fast speeds in these situations:
1. 900+/800+ Wired to my Asus MAIN router (this is plugged into AT&T gateway - 1Gb port, not 2.5G/5G)
2. 500+/500+ Wireless to Asus MAIN router (note: wireless speed is lower to AT&T - 200/300 - since the AT&T unit is further away)
>> extender to AT&T gateway - sitting right next to Mac - is the issue - 50-80mbps both directions
3. 400+/400+ Wireless (and Wired) to an Asus EXTENDER wirelessly connected to Asus MAIN
4. 50/80 Wireless - or Wired - to Asus EXTENDER connected to AT&T gateway

Wired to AT&T gateway = Fast - 900+/900+
But I ALSO get wicked fast speeds in these situations:
1. 900+/800+ Wired to my Asus MAIN router (this is plugged into AT&T gateway - 1Gb port, not 2.5G/5G)
2. 500+/500+ Wireless to Asus MAIN router (note: wireless speed is lower to AT&T - 200/300 - since the AT&T unit is further away)
>> extender to AT&T gateway - sitting right next to Mac - is the issue - 50-80mbps both directions
3. 400+/400+ Wireless (and Wired) to an Asus EXTENDER wirelessly connected to Asus MAIN
4. 50/80 Wireless - or Wired - to Asus EXTENDER connected to AT&T gateway

Sounds like you are getting expected speeds, subject to the usual uncertainties of a mix of equipment and configurations and WiFi signals.

I would decide on your needs and the optimal best use of a minimum of hardware to meet those needs. Build and troubleshoot that.

If you keep the AT&T gateway as your network router, then try to wire APs to it to extend the WiFi coverage. Second best is using extenders/repeaters to extend coverage, but shares the WiFi bandwidth between the backhaul and wireless clients. Both require you to plan out WiFi channel usage to minimize interference from your own signals and from your neighbors.

If you tell us what equipment you have, and what your network topology requirements are, we might be able to comment further.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!