What's new

Extending home network by switch using 1 cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndyHoll123

New Around Here
Hi I'm sure this is possible but surprisingly difficult to find the answer.

On my ground floor I have an isp gigabit hub. I would like several devices on my 2nd floor to also use true gigabit networking.

Rather than run several cables from the ground floor to the 2nd floor, is it possible to run one cable and then use a switch or hub so I can use several devices on the 2nd floor but they all use true gigabit networking?

I know I could easily do this and it work, but all devices would 'share' the single gigabit connection and there would be latency and slow down.

How is it possible to run a single cable but still use true gigabit?

I'm presuming it would need to be a fibre cable?

Ps I've tried powerline 1200mps and performance is v poor for my needs

Thanks

they will all share a single connection to the ISP at whatever bandwidth the ISP provides. If you install a single cable and a gigabit switch with full duplex upstairs the latency will be minimal from the switch and the single cable. Most will be at the ISP modem/router. Even more across the internet.

what are you trying to do over the local network ?
What are you trying to do over the internet ?

If you really have to have gigabit bandwidth to each device then x devices will require a run of x ethernet cables back to the ISP modem/router. Assuming you have enough ports on the router, then you will have minimized your latency on the lan side. It also assumes the ethernet chip and driver in the device is actually capable of delivering that bandwidth. Some chips and drivers are better than others.

Thanks v much for the reply.

I want to stream 4k games is the main requirement. I'm actually considering 10gb ethernet!

My Internet speed is currently 300mbs at the moment but the main requirement is device to device communications. Streaming, fast file copying etc.

Im not too concerned with Internet latency at the moment, it's ensuring decvices can communicate to each other with minimal latency to each other, but using a single cable.

I guess if I installed two 10gb switches one upstairs and one downstairs and cascaded them via a cat6a cable then 10gb bandwidth would be shared meaning that would maximise throughput. Obviously would be expensive tho

Rather than run several cables from the ground floor to the 2nd floor, is it possible to run one cable and then use a switch or hub so I can use several devices on the 2nd floor but they all use true gigabit networking?

Any Gigabit switch will be fine - don't need to go overboard there - a 5 or 8 port unmanaged switch is very reasonably priced - and it'll be fine.

Unless you're maxing out the bandwidth between two devices between up and down stairs, you won't be using all the bandwidth in that one line all the time. Otherwise, using an LAG or a newer 2.5/5g switch would be a step up and still cheaper than 10G.

Most home users are not going to saturate a gigabyte link unless they have a need to back up more than two PCs to a NAS simultaneously, stream more than a dozen uncompressed blue ray rips, stream hundreds of 4K videos, etc. and to do any of these assumes that you have the hardware at both ends of the link to fill the pipe.

True, but there are people that do these types of things. Especially if they're talking about 10G because they've already considered it due to bandwidth limitations.