What's new

External antenna makes it worse

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dreba

Regular Contributor
I have a 4G modem from ZTE with 2 antenna connectors. I bought a home antenna with mimo that’s supposed to get me 7-8 dB extra gain. Connecting it actually gives me fewer bars and a speed test reveals a drop.

diablo-ts9-4g-antenn-med-mimo-7-8-dbi

Why is this?

Last edited:
With 3G/4G/LTE devices - the internal antennas are precisely matched to the radio and RF front end components. They are the optimal choice.

Exposed antenna connectors are generally used for testing in the lab in a non-radiating environment, usually to test equipment for OEM, Carrier, and Regulatory testing, acceptance, and certification testing.

The antenna above, it will unbalance the front end, and you've directly observed the performance impact.

What is the point of connectors then? There are a number of reports of people improving their signal significantly with external antenna. The manufacturer even recommends external antenna.

that sounds very low. Whats your noise? Whats important really is just your SnR. Your signal strength affects communications between others but your SnR determines the performance.

What is the point of connectors then? There are a number of reports of people improving their signal significantly with external antenna. The manufacturer even recommends external antenna.

Then reach out to the manufacturer directly - they'll either offer it as an accessory or have a list of approved antennas..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!