What's new

FCC proposes to triple 5 GHz spectrum for Wi-Fi with 1200 MHz additional spectrum (5.925-7.125 GHz)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Balance

Regular Contributor
Right now 5GHz Wi-Fi uses 5.15 to 5.725 GHz, where 5.250–5.350 GHz and 5.470–5.725 GHz require DFS (exact values depend on region). This is around 600 MHz, and now the FCC proposes to add 1200 MHz spectrum to this band: 5.925 to 7.125 GHz.

That's sixteen extra 80 MHz channels or eight extra 160 MHz channels.

FCC PROPOSES MORE SPECTRUM FOR UNLICENSED USE

WASHINGTON, October 23, 2018—The Federal Communications Commission today proposed to make up to 1200 megahertz of spectrum available for use by unlicensed devices in the 6 GHz band (5.925-7.125 GHz). Unlicensed devices that employ Wi-Fi and other unlicensed standards have become indispensable for providing low-cost wireless connectivity in countless products used by American consumers.

The proposed rules are designed to allow unlicensed devices to operate in the 6 GHz band without interfering with the operation of the licensed services that will continue to use this spectrum. In those portions of the 6 GHz band that are heavily used by point-to-point microwave links, the Commission proposes to allow unlicensed devices to operate where permitted by an automated frequency coordination system and invites comment as to whether this is necessary for devices operated only indoors. In the other portions of the band where licensed mobile services, such as the Broadcast Auxiliary Service and Cable Television Relay Service, operate, the unlicensed devices would be restricted to indoor operations at lower power.

These proposed rules will allow a valuable spectrum resource to be more intensively used to benefit consumers while allowing the existing licensed uses of the 6 GHz band to continue uninterrupted.

Action by the Commission October 23, 2018 by Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FCC 18- 147). Chairman Pai, Commissioners O’Rielly, Carr, and Rosenworcel approving and issuing separate statements.

ET Docket No. 18-295; GN Docket No. 17-183

Right now 5GHz Wi-Fi uses 5.15 to 5.725 GHz, where 5.250–5.350 GHz and 5.470–5.725 GHz require DFS (exact values depend on region). This is around 600 MHz, and now the FCC proposes to add 1200 MHz spectrum to this band: 5.925 to 7.125 GHz.

That's sixteen extra 80 MHz channels or eight extra 160 MHz channels.

It is official, FCC has opened 6 GHZ band for use by wifi technologies, according to some sources it appear final ax standard has to support 6 GHZ.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/23/...nd-to-5g-and-opens-6ghz-band-to-future-wi-fi/

Last edited:
It is official, FCC has opened 6 GHZ band for use by wifi technologies, according to some sources it appear final ax standard has to support 6 GHZ.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/23/...nd-to-5g-and-opens-6ghz-band-to-future-wi-fi/

If that's true, then every single draft ax router already out there or being developed has to be thrown out... So, I find it highly unlikely that 6 GHz support would be added to 802.11ax. At best, it might be an optional addition, but I doubt it.

If that's true, then every single draft ax router already out there or being developed has to be thrown out... So, I find it highly unlikely that 6 GHz support would be added to 802.11ax. At best, it might be an optional addition, but I doubt it.

It would be interesting to see if final specs support, just like Qualcomm is pushing to make WPA3 mandatory for ax final specs. May be they will add 6 ghz support as well.

Time will tell what happens, one of the reason I am not buying draft specs based router.

Take a deep breath...

Note that the bandwidth expansions in the US - they're mainly driven towards the Commercial Mobile Service Providers (aka Telcos/Cablecos) - so the expansion will be shared BW, and this might be a good thing to keep the Operators out of the USM/ISM bands...

FCC is trying to balance things - as part of the discussion is the 3.5GHz stuff - which is interesting for the operators...

Now if they could just clean up 2.4 - there's a guard band there that could open up a channel and make 4/1 channel plans useful...

6 GHz band discussions have been going on for awhile. I agree with SFX that this is going to take awhile to sort out. Lots of lobbying $$ is going to be spent and we'll have to see who ends up the winner.